DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Margaret Thatcher RIP;!... (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/354967-margaret-thatcher-rip%3B.html)

tony sayer April 8th 13 01:05 PM

Margaret Thatcher RIP;!...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-22067155
--
Tony Sayer

The Other Mike[_3_] April 8th 13 01:13 PM

Margaret Thatcher RIP;!...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xmmomV-ax-s

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=fu...ient=firefox-a

Grimly Curmudgeon[_3_] April 8th 13 01:21 PM

Margaret Thatcher RIP;!...

Evil auld **** - may she roast.

Tim Watts[_2_] April 8th 13 01:24 PM

Margaret Thatcher RIP;!...

On Monday 08 April 2013 13:05 tony sayer wrote in uk.d-i-y:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-22067155

Had more balls than any PM since.

I hate the tories, labour and liberal parties with similar amounts of
loathing, but that does not mean I don't respect her. I liked some of her
policies and hated others, but she did have conviction unlike most of the
wobbling gutless corn stalks we have now...

Reading this on the web? See:

harry April 8th 13 01:38 PM

Margaret Thatcher RIP;!...

On Apr 8, 1:05*pm, tony sayer wrote:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-22067155
--
Tony Sayer

Best Prime Minister since Churchill.
We could have done with her now instead of that useless drip Cameron.

bm[_2_] April 8th 13 01:41 PM

Margaret Thatcher RIP;!...

"harry" wrote in message
On Apr 8, 1:05 pm, tony sayer wrote:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-22067155
--
Tony Sayer

Best Prime Minister since Churchill.
We could have done with her now instead of that useless drip Cameron.

Dead right, lets have more poll tax.
YMBFJ

Andy Cap[_9_] April 8th 13 01:49 PM

Margaret Thatcher RIP;!...

On 08/04/13 13:41, bm wrote:

Dead right, lets have more poll tax.
YMBFJ

Nothing wrong with the Poll tax, it was just that it dragged in a lot of
young earners who get their services for free and had loud voices. The
Council tax is really unfair to people living on their own.

Andy C

Tim Watts[_2_] April 8th 13 01:49 PM

Margaret Thatcher RIP;!...

On Monday 08 April 2013 13:41 bm wrote in uk.d-i-y:

"harry" wrote in message
On Apr 8, 1:05 pm, tony sayer wrote:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-22067155
--
Tony Sayer

Best Prime Minister since Churchill.
We could have done with her now instead of that useless drip Cameron.

Dead right, lets have more poll tax.
YMBFJ

Or: Let's have a bit of protection from the EU...

Didn't see the likes of Part P or Part L in her time...

Reading this on the web? See:

bm[_2_] April 8th 13 02:29 PM

Margaret Thatcher RIP;!...

"Andy Cap" wrote in message
On 08/04/13 13:41, bm wrote:

Dead right, lets have more poll tax.
YMBFJ

Nothing wrong with the Poll tax, it was just that it dragged in a lot of
young earners who get their services for free and had loud voices. The
Council tax is really unfair to people living on their own.

As was the poll tax unfair to me, still, it only ~tripled my rates.

Mike Tomlinson April 8th 13 02:36 PM

Margaret Thatcher RIP;!...

In article , tony sayer
writes

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-22067155

Ding dong, the witch is dead.

About bloody time.

--
(\_/)
(='.'=)

Mike Tomlinson April 8th 13 02:53 PM

Margaret Thatcher RIP;!...

In article , Tim Watts
writes

Had more balls than any PM since.

Only looked like that because she surrounded herself with spineless yes-
men.

--
(\_/)
(='.'=)

RayL12 April 8th 13 02:56 PM

Margaret Thatcher RIP;!...

wrote:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-22067155

Evil auld **** - may she roast.

She may have upset people but, boy, did she put a rotting, continually
union striking Britain back on its feet.

--
One click voting to change the world.
https://secure.avaaz.org/en/

http://www.theregister.co.uk/
Biting the hand that feeds IT

Mike Tomlinson April 8th 13 03:20 PM

Margaret Thatcher RIP;!...

In article , Huge
writes

Yawn. Couldn't you at least thought of something originally rude to say?

Nah. Sums up how I feel perfectly. And thousands of others on YouTube
if you search for that phrase.

--
(\_/)
(='.'=)

Mike Tomlinson April 8th 13 03:22 PM

Margaret Thatcher RIP;!...

In article , Mike Tomlinson
writes

Nah. Sums up how I feel perfectly. And thousands of others on YouTube
if you search for that phrase.

Brenda said to "be saddened". Probably swinging from the chandeliers.

--
(\_/)
(='.'=)

whisky-dave[_2_] April 8th 13 03:26 PM

Margaret Thatcher RIP;!...

On 2013-04-08, Mike Tomlinson wrote:

In article , tony sayer

writes

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-22067155

Ding dong, the witch is dead.

Yawn. Couldn't you at least thought of something originally rude to say?

The bitch is dead......

Lots of other words I can think of but little point in listing them all.

bm[_2_] April 8th 13 03:32 PM

Margaret Thatcher RIP;!...

"Tim Streater" wrote in message
In article om,
"bm" wrote:

"Andy Cap" wrote in message
On 08/04/13 13:41, bm wrote:

Dead right, lets have more poll tax.
YMBFJ

Nothing wrong with the Poll tax, it was just that it dragged in a lot
of young earners who get their services for free and had loud voices.
The Council tax is really unfair to people living on their own.

As was the poll tax unfair to me, still, it only ~tripled my rates.

So it tripled your rates. Now explain why that was unfair.

Did it triple yours? Course, those on housing benefit (who I'm helping to
support) didn't pay an extra penny AFAIK. As I remember, one or two other
folk were a trifle ****ed off about it so it was withdrawn and replaced by
council tax, still triple my rates. I don't mind being screwed as long as
I'm unaware of it.

Dave Plowman (News) April 8th 13 03:46 PM

Margaret Thatcher RIP;!...

In article ,
Andy Cap wrote:
Nothing wrong with the Poll tax, it was just that it dragged in a lot of
young earners who get their services for free and had loud voices. The
Council tax is really unfair to people living on their own.

You've got no idea, have you? The purpose of the poll tax - like just
about every other piece of Tory legislation - was to move taxation from
the rich to the poorer. No matter how they dress it up.

My widowed mother lived alone in her own modest house that she'd lived in
and owned since the '30s. Only had the old age pension and a tiny annuity
as income.

When the poll tax was introduced, she paid *more* than previously under
the rates. So exactly the sort of person so often quoted as being
penalised by the old rates was penalised more by the poll tax.

--
*A clear conscience is the sign of a fuzzy memory.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Dave Plowman (News) April 8th 13 03:48 PM

Margaret Thatcher RIP;!...

wrote:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-22067155

Evil auld **** - may she roast.

She may have upset people but, boy, did she put a rotting, continually
union striking Britain back on its feet.

And sowed the seeds of it falling over now.

--
*Honk if you love peace and quiet*

whisky-dave[_2_] April 8th 13 03:53 PM

Margaret Thatcher RIP;!...

On Monday, April 8, 2013 3:48:15 PM UTC+1, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,

wrote:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-22067155

Evil auld **** - may she roast.

She may have upset people but, boy, did she put a rotting, continually

union striking Britain back on its feet.

And sowed the seeds of it falling over now.

I was thinking that rather than get it back on it's feet it kept it on it's hands and knees.

The Other Mike[_3_] April 8th 13 04:00 PM

Margaret Thatcher RIP;!...

RayL12 wrote:

She may have upset people but, boy, did she put a rotting, continually

union striking Britain back on its feet.

And sowed the seeds of it falling over now.

I was thinking that rather than get it back on it's feet it kept it on it's hands and knees.

and handed it over to the Germans, French, Spanish, Americans, Japanese,
Chinese, and the Arabs

Mark[_30_] April 8th 13 04:16 PM

Margaret Thatcher RIP;!...

On Mon, 08 Apr 2013 13:24:23 +0100, Tim Watts
wrote:

On Monday 08 April 2013 13:05 tony sayer wrote in uk.d-i-y:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-22067155

Had more balls than any PM since.

Tony Bliar seemed a very similar politician in that he did exactly
what he wanted and didn't listen to anyone else.

I hate the tories, labour and liberal parties with similar amounts of
loathing, but that does not mean I don't respect her. I liked some of her
policies and hated others, but she did have conviction unlike most of the
wobbling gutless corn stalks we have now...

Is this a good thing though?
--
(\__/) M.
(")_(") is he still wrong?

Unbeliever[_4_] April 8th 13 04:17 PM

Margaret Thatcher RIP;!...

wrote:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-22067155

Evil auld **** - may she roast.

Agreed

Mark[_30_] April 8th 13 04:18 PM

Margaret Thatcher RIP;!...

On Mon, 08 Apr 2013 13:49:31 +0100, Andy Cap
wrote:

On 08/04/13 13:41, bm wrote:

Dead right, lets have more poll tax.
YMBFJ

Nothing wrong with the Poll tax, it was just that it dragged in a lot of
young earners who get their services for free and had loud voices. The
Council tax is really unfair to people living on their own.

The Poll Tax was unfair on larger households.

I can see why the Poll Tax was popular in some circles though since it
shifted taxation from the rich to the poor.
--
(\__/) M.
(")_(") is he still wrong?

Andy Cap[_9_] April 8th 13 04:19 PM

Margaret Thatcher RIP;!...

You've got no idea, have you? The purpose of the poll tax - like just
about every other piece of Tory legislation - was to move taxation from
the rich to the poorer. No matter how they dress it up.

What like the recent increased basic tax-band and yes I know they
reduced the 50% band but it's still higher than during Labour's tenure.

My widowed mother lived alone in her own modest house that she'd lived in
and owned since the '30s. Only had the old age pension and a tiny annuity
as income.

When the poll tax was introduced, she paid *more* than previously under
the rates. So exactly the sort of person so often quoted as being
penalised by the old rates was penalised more by the poll tax.

I like to look at the bigger picture. I'm afraid single situations don't
make for a good case. With change, there are always going to be winners
and losers but generally it would have been a fairer system, with far
more earners contributing to the cost of providing the local services
they used. That's why there was so much objection.

Incidentally, I'm no fan of Thatcher but that's for other reasons.

Andy C

Andy Cap[_9_] April 8th 13 04:23 PM

Margaret Thatcher RIP;!...

On 08/04/13 16:18, Mark wrote:

The Poll Tax was unfair on larger households.

I can see why the Poll Tax was popular in some circles though since it
shifted taxation from the rich to the poor.

Why shouldn't all earners in a household, contribute to local services?

Unbeliever[_4_] April 8th 13 04:24 PM

Margaret Thatcher RIP;!...

wrote:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-22067155

Evil auld **** - may she roast.

She may have upset people but, boy, did she put a rotting, continually
union striking Britain back on its feet.

You have bloody great blinkers on then!

Dig back and find out how she opened the doors to benefit fraud, ******s
(bankers) fraud, MPs excess payments, dismantled the manufacturing based,
sold off all the utility companies and other 'family silver', the collapse
of a once great NHS, wasted billions on privatisation, wasted even more on
trying to destroy local government - the list is endless and is now being
carried on by the three stooges we have as 'leaders' right now.

She did a damn site more damage than she did good - may she rot in hell!

Muddymike[_2_] April 8th 13 04:29 PM

Margaret Thatcher RIP;!...

"bm" wrote:

"Andy Cap" wrote in message
On 08/04/13 13:41, bm wrote:

Dead right, lets have more poll tax.
YMBFJ

Nothing wrong with the Poll tax, it was just that it dragged in a lot
of young earners who get their services for free and had loud voices.
The Council tax is really unfair to people living on their own.

As was the poll tax unfair to me, still, it only ~tripled my rates.

So it tripled your rates. Now explain why that was unfair.

I liked the poll tax.
At the time I was the only wage earner in my household. Next door an almost
identical house was home to four wage earners. They hated the idea of having
to pay 4 times I loved the idea of just paying 1 time.

It all seemed very fair to me.

Mike

Andy Cap[_9_] April 8th 13 04:38 PM

Margaret Thatcher RIP;!...

On 08/04/13 16:29, Muddymike wrote:
At the time I was the only wage earner in my household. Next door an
almost identical house was home to four wage earners. They hated the
idea of having to pay 4 times I loved the idea of just paying 1 time.

Which is exactly why it was shouted down.

Mark[_30_] April 8th 13 04:40 PM

Margaret Thatcher RIP;!...

On Mon, 08 Apr 2013 16:19:18 +0100, Andy Cap

You've got no idea, have you? The purpose of the poll tax - like just
about every other piece of Tory legislation - was to move taxation from
the rich to the poorer. No matter how they dress it up.

What like the recent increased basic tax-band

That's a Lib Dem not a Tory policy.

and yes I know they
reduced the 50% band but it's still higher than during Labour's tenure.

IIRC Labour introduced the 50% Tax band.

My widowed mother lived alone in her own modest house that she'd lived in
and owned since the '30s. Only had the old age pension and a tiny annuity
as income.

When the poll tax was introduced, she paid *more* than previously under
the rates. So exactly the sort of person so often quoted as being
penalised by the old rates was penalised more by the poll tax.

I like to look at the bigger picture. I'm afraid single situations don't
make for a good case.

Agreed.

With change, there are always going to be winners
and losers but generally it would have been a fairer system, with far
more earners contributing to the cost of providing the local services
they used.

My opinion is that those who can afford it contribute more than those
who cannot. Poll Tax achieved the opposite.

That's why there was so much objection.

My objection was that it was even less fair than the old rating
system.

Incidentally, I'm no fan of Thatcher but that's for other reasons.

I'm no fan of Thatcher for very many reasons.
--
(\__/) M.
(")_(") is he still wrong?

The Natural Philosopher[_2_] April 8th 13 04:45 PM

Margaret Thatcher RIP;!...

On 08/04/13 13:24, Tim Watts wrote:
On Monday 08 April 2013 13:05 tony sayer wrote in uk.d-i-y:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-22067155

Had more balls than any PM since.

I hate the tories, labour and liberal parties with similar amounts of
loathing, but that does not mean I don't respect her. I liked some of her
policies and hated others, but she did have conviction unlike most of the
wobbling gutless corn stalks we have now...

+1

--
Ineptocracy

(in-ep-toc-ra-cy) €“ a system of government where the least capable to lead are elected by the least capable of producing, and where the members of society least likely to sustain themselves or succeed, are rewarded with goods and services paid for by the confiscated wealth of a diminishing number of producers.

The Natural Philosopher[_2_] April 8th 13 04:46 PM

Margaret Thatcher RIP;!...

On 08/04/13 13:41, bm wrote:
"harry" wrote in message
On Apr 8, 1:05 pm, tony sayer wrote:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-22067155
--
Tony Sayer

Best Prime Minister since Churchill.
We could have done with her now instead of that useless drip Cameron.

Dead right, lets have more poll tax.
YMBFJ

yes why not? it was a lot fairer than council tax.

Mark[_30_] April 8th 13 05:05 PM

Margaret Thatcher RIP;!...

On Mon, 08 Apr 2013 16:23:38 +0100, Andy Cap
wrote:

On 08/04/13 16:18, Mark wrote:

The Poll Tax was unfair on larger households.

I can see why the Poll Tax was popular in some circles though since it
shifted taxation from the rich to the poor.

Why shouldn't all earners in a household, contribute to local services?

They do. The vast majority of the money spent by local government is
provided by central government which is extracted from all the earners
via income tax.

--
(\__/) M.
(")_(") is he still wrong?

Andy Cap[_9_] April 8th 13 05:07 PM

Margaret Thatcher RIP;!...

On 08/04/13 16:54, Tim Streater wrote:

My opinion is that those who can afford it contribute more than those
who cannot. Poll Tax achieved the opposite.

Should the same apply if I go down the shops and buy a loaf of bread,
then? Sir Costly Cashbag pays twice as much as me and I pay twice as
much the old dear from across the road?

+1

There are plenty of people who believe a flat-rate tax generates more
money anyway. Anyway, local taxes shouldn't be the same as Income tax.

Tim Watts[_2_] April 8th 13 05:08 PM

Margaret Thatcher RIP;!...

wrote:

On 08/04/13 16:18, Mark wrote:

The Poll Tax was unfair on larger households.

I can see why the Poll Tax was popular in some circles though since it
shifted taxation from the rich to the poor.

Why shouldn't all earners in a household, contribute to local services?

They do. The vast majority of the money spent by local government is
provided by central government which is extracted from all the earners
via income tax.

Once again showing the beaurocratic ******** that is having so many so
called specific taxes...

Reading this on the web? See:

Andy Cap[_9_] April 8th 13 05:15 PM

Margaret Thatcher RIP;!...

On 08/04/13 17:05, Mark wrote:

Why shouldn't all earners in a household, contribute to local services?

They do. The vast majority of the money spent by local government is
provided by central government which is extracted from all the earners
via income tax.

That still doesn't escape the fact, that some people are subsidising
other's local services. Perhaps if they paid, some wouldn't feel so keen
to go out an wreak havoc at every opportunity. How bout we settle for a
local income tax then ?

Hugh Newbury April 8th 13 05:16 PM

Margaret Thatcher RIP;!...

On 2013-04-08, Mike Tomlinson wrote:
In article , tony sayer
writes

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-22067155

Ding dong, the witch is dead.

Yawn. Couldn't you at least thought of something originally rude to say?

How about:

The Iron Lady -- May she rust in ****.

Hugh

--

Hugh Newbury

www.evershot-weather.org

Mike Tomlinson April 8th 13 05:27 PM

Margaret Thatcher RIP;!...

En el artículo , Hugh Newbury
escribió:

How about:

The Iron Lady -- May she rust in ****.

*tips hat*

Thank you

--
(\_/)
(='.'=)

Steve Firth April 8th 13 05:32 PM

Margaret Thatcher RIP;!...

wrote:

On 08/04/13 13:41, bm wrote:

Dead right, lets have more poll tax.
YMBFJ

Nothing wrong with the Poll tax, it was just that it dragged in a lot of
young earners who get their services for free and had loud voices. The
Council tax is really unfair to people living on their own.

The Poll Tax was unfair on larger households.

I can see why the Poll Tax was popular in some circles though since it
shifted taxation from the rich to the poor.

Err no it didn't. It put the tax onto the middle classes in the main. The
greater part of the protestors seemed to be the Tarquins, Jessicas and
Annabelles who used to pay nothing because daddy paid the rates who
suddenly had to pay a (fairly minor) tax.

At the time I was hoping for local income tax as I used to pay in
Switzerland, even though this would have affected me more than the poll tax
did. My payments quadrupled under the poll tax because wife & kids refused
to pay "on principle[1]". So I had to pay as "head of household".

[1] I think the principle was that they were too mean to pay it. It was the
idea of going after the "head of household" that got me. I can't afford to
get a criminal record so I had to pay. If they had made the individual
responsible I would have left the kids to make their own decision.

--
€¢DarWin|
_/ _/