Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Screwing up tiles

Well, sort of...

Installing a back to wall bog and having to custom build the boxing in
as the easy way (buying a cabinet) doesn't fit the space. The bog and
sink will be side by side on this boxing and I'll need to provide for
potential access to the cistern and (just in case) the plumbing under
the sink.

SWMBO votes for 30 x 60 tiles, laid horizontally and instead of
sticking, screwing them onto a wooden frame with mirror screws, so
they're demounatable. That seems OK but, it seems to me that the screws
shouldn't be in direct contact with the tile, and could use something to
sleeve them to cushion the tile and stop it cracking.

So: Any bright ideas out there for what to use? The best I've come up
with so far is a cut down wall plug (and fingers crossed I get the size
of the hole right so it doesn't expand as I drive the screw in!)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

GMM wrote:

Installing a back to wall bog and having to custom build the boxing in
as the easy way (buying a cabinet) doesn't fit the space. The bog and
sink will be side by side on this boxing and I'll need to provide for
potential access to the cistern and (just in case) the plumbing under
the sink.

Stick tiles with flexible adhesive onto a loose panel plywood, then use
strong magnets to hold that in place?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday 07 April 2013 20:02 wrote in uk.d-i-y:

[...]

Glue the tiles to a sheet of ply and screw the whole panel to the frame.

1) It will be stronger;

2) Drill a clearance hole through the tile and let the screw sit in the ply.

Use flexible tile adhesive..

I did something similar for a panel behond the bog. As it will almost never
need to be demounted teh screws have a blog of silicone rubber over the
heads. They are disguised but easy to find if you are looking.

Reading this on the web? See:

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday 07 April 2013 20:10 Andy Burns wrote in uk.d-i-y:

GMM wrote:

Installing a back to wall bog and having to custom build the boxing in
as the easy way (buying a cabinet) doesn't fit the space. The bog and
sink will be side by side on this boxing and I'll need to provide for
potential access to the cistern and (just in case) the plumbing under
the sink.

Stick tiles with flexible adhesive onto a loose panel plywood, then use
strong magnets to hold that in place?

I like that idea...

But for extra simplicity, just glue a couple of small blocks on the base of
the ply so that it locates into the frame.

Reading this on the web? See:

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Apr 7, 8:10*pm, Andy Burns wrote:
GMM wrote:
Installing a back to wall bog and having to custom build the boxing in
as the easy way (buying a cabinet) doesn't fit the space. *The bog and
sink will be side by side on this boxing and I'll need to provide for
potential access to the cistern and (just in case) the plumbing under
the sink.

Stick tiles with flexible adhesive onto a loose panel plywood, then use
strong magnets to hold that in place?

Interesting suggestion. I had toyed with that but I was wondering how
to judge the strength of the magnets.
Presumably, the panel could be taken off with a suction pad, but would
the tile adhesive be strong enough?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

--
Tim Watts * * * * * * * *Personal Blog:http://squiddy.blog.dionic.net/

http://www.sensorly.com/Crowd mapping of 2G/3G/4G mobile signal coverage

Reading this on the web? See:http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php?title=Usenet

Indeed - then the weight etc is supported by the blocks and the
magnets don't have to be as strong.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

GMM wrote:

[...]

I used these for a similar project

http://www.screwfix.com/p/magnetic-c...ck-of-10/75260

Posted to uk.d-i-y

GMM wrote:

[...]

You don't need magnets at all - if this is a shelf, it will sit under its
own weight and the blocks locate it so it can't slip off.

Reading this on the web? See:

When You're Screwing... David Kaye Home Repair 16 September 4th 12 09:33 AM
Screwing in drywall Eigenvector Home Repair 14 January 24th 07 02:06 AM
Screwing MDF david lang UK diy 23 September 20th 05 02:53 PM
HELP! The EX took everything but my SONY TV and now it's screwing me too! [email protected] Electronics Repair 20 June 1st 05 12:37 PM
HELP! My EX took everything but my TV and now it's screwing me too!!! [email protected] Electronics Repair 1 May 29th 05 05:55 AM