Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default SAD light boxes

Seasonal affective disorder on the box last night, so now SO wants one.

General consensus seems to be 10,000 lux of broad spectrum, commercial
units 30 x 450 mm from £45 to £250.

All you seem to need is a couple of 36W CFLs and a diffuser.

Any comments? Anyone made or used one?

TIA
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/04/2013 14:23, newshound wrote:
Seasonal affective disorder on the box last night, so now SO wants one.

General consensus seems to be 10,000 lux of broad spectrum, commercial
units 30 x 450 mm from £45 to £250.

All you seem to need is a couple of 36W CFLs and a diffuser.

Any comments? Anyone made or used one?

TIA

Partner feels need for bright light in winter - but cannot tolerate the
full-strength SAD light boxes.

She feels very much better by our having generally higher colour
temperature CFLs, and overall more light in the living room than most
people would expect. Will move to appropriate LEDs, I'd guess, as these die.

Specifically, there was a small-ish desk lamp at Lidl a few months ago,
IIRC about 5000 K, which she has near her and that makes a big difference.

Anyone with SAD should consider their vitamin D status, cheapest decent
finger-prick UK testing seems to be available he

http://www.vitamindtest.org.uk/

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, April 7, 2013 2:23:47 PM UTC+1, newshound wrote:

Seasonal affective disorder on the box last night, so now SO wants one.
General consensus seems to be 10,000 lux of broad spectrum, commercial
units 30 x 450 mm from £45 to £250.
All you seem to need is a couple of 36W CFLs and a diffuser.
Any comments? Anyone made or used one?
TIA

'Broad spectrum' is snake oil, eyes only detect RGB. As you say, SAD boxes are just bulbs in a box.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/04/13 14:23, newshound wrote:
Seasonal affective disorder on the box last night, so now SO wants one.

General consensus seems to be 10,000 lux of broad spectrum, commercial
units 30 x 450 mm from £45 to £250.

All you seem to need is a couple of 36W CFLs and a diffuser.

Any comments? Anyone made or used one?

TIA

Vitamin D pills are a lot cheaper.

--
Ineptocracy

diminishing number of producers.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/04/13 15:11, polygonum wrote:
[...]

why bother? the pills don't hurt even if you have plenty of vitamin
D..and are dirt cheap.

Just buy a boots boxful and gulp one a day. If you feel better after a
week or two, keep taking em.

--
Ineptocracy

diminishing number of producers.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Not myself, but I thought the idea was that the light was evenly distributed
and it has to be very accurate colour wise, I guess this means the bulbs
need to be sourced carefully.

Brian

--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
"newshound" wrote in message
eb.com...
Seasonal affective disorder on the box last night, so now SO wants one.

General consensus seems to be 10,000 lux of broad spectrum, commercial
units 30 x 450 mm from £45 to £250.

All you seem to need is a couple of 36W CFLs and a diffuser.

Any comments? Anyone made or used one?

TIA

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Apr 7, 2:23*pm, newshound wrote:
Seasonal affective disorder on the box last night, so now SO wants one.

General consensus seems to be 10,000 lux of broad spectrum, commercial
units *30 x 450 mm from £45 to £250.

All you seem to need is a couple of 36W CFLs and a diffuser.

Any comments? Anyone made or used one?

TIA

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seasona...rder#Treatment
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/04/13 14:23, newshound wrote:
Seasonal affective disorder on the box last night, so now SO wants one.

General consensus seems to be 10,000 lux of broad spectrum, commercial
units 30 x 450 mm from £45 to £250.

All you seem to need is a couple of 36W CFLs and a diffuser.

Any comments? Anyone made or used one?

TIA

Vitamin D pills are a lot cheaper.

SAD boxes do not produce UVB required to make vitamin D in skin!

But I agree, they are much cheaper. :-)

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/04/2013 17:00, Brian Gaff wrote:
Not myself, but I thought the idea was that the light was evenly distributed
and it has to be very accurate colour wise, I guess this means the bulbs
need to be sourced carefully.

Brian

There are mixed reports with quite a lot saying it really is not very
critical at all.

--
Rod

Posted to uk.d-i-y

AIUI, SAD is caused by Vitamin D deficiency, and Vitamin D is made in
the skin under the action of sunlight. Hence the deficiency and the
incidence of SAD tends to rise in winter. The instructions to look at
the lamp is probably intended to ensure that the skin on the face and
neck gets as much from the lamp as possible, though I had understood
that the usual idea was to 'sunbathe' under them, as if one is on a
beach.

Hence the eyes are irrelevant, except in the need to avoid being
dazzled, and 'broad spectrum' is not necessarily snake oil, it depends
on the precise mechanism used to capture the sun's energy to produce
the vitamin, about which I'm unclear.

On Sun, 7 Apr 2013 07:46:06 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

'Broad spectrum' is snake oil, eyes only detect RGB. As you say, SAD boxes are just bulbs in a box.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/04/2013 19:07, Java Jive wrote:
AIUI, SAD is caused by Vitamin D deficiency

The references I have looked at suggest that this is far from agreed.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message om,
newshound writes
Seasonal affective disorder on the box last night, so now SO wants one.

General consensus seems to be 10,000 lux of broad spectrum, commercial
units 30 x 450 mm from £45 to £250.

All you seem to need is a couple of 36W CFLs and a diffuser.

Any comments? Anyone made or used one?

TIA

I think we've still got one in the bottom of the wardrobe in the spare
bedroom - or is it up the loft?
--
bert
Posted to uk.d-i-y

newshound wrote:
On 07/04/2013 19:07, Java Jive wrote:
AIUI, SAD is caused by Vitamin D deficiency

The references I have looked at suggest that this is far from agreed.

Anthropogenic global warming is far from agreed, but there are still
some people who believe in it.

Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/04/2013 20:52, bert wrote:
In message om,
newshound writes
Seasonal affective disorder on the box last night, so now SO wants one.

General consensus seems to be 10,000 lux of broad spectrum, commercial
units 30 x 450 mm from £45 to £250.

All you seem to need is a couple of 36W CFLs and a diffuser.

Any comments? Anyone made or used one?

TIA

I think we've still got one in the bottom of the wardrobe in the spare
bedroom - or is it up the loft?

Anywhere near Gloucestershire?

:-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/04/2013 21:30, newshound wrote:
On 07/04/2013 20:52, bert wrote:
In message om,
newshound writes
Seasonal affective disorder on the box last night, so now SO wants one.

General consensus seems to be 10,000 lux of broad spectrum, commercial
units 30 x 450 mm from £45 to £250.

All you seem to need is a couple of 36W CFLs and a diffuser.

Any comments? Anyone made or used one?

TIA

I think we've still got one in the bottom of the wardrobe in the spare
bedroom - or is it up the loft?

Anywhere near Gloucestershire?

:-)

It's in Narnia now...

--
Rod

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/04/2013 17:30, polygonum wrote:
On 07/04/2013 17:14, dennis@home wrote:
On 07/04/2013 15:46, wrote:
On Sunday, April 7, 2013 2:23:47 PM UTC+1, newshound wrote:

Seasonal affective disorder on the box last night, so now SO wants one.
General consensus seems to be 10,000 lux of broad spectrum, commercial
units 30 x 450 mm from £45 to £250.
All you seem to need is a couple of 36W CFLs and a diffuser.
Any comments? Anyone made or used one?
TIA

'Broad spectrum' is snake oil, eyes only detect RGB. As you say, SAD
boxes are just bulbs in a box.

NT

Its not the eyes that matter in this case AIUI.

Anywat there shouldn't be any need with the amount of sun we have had so
far this year. Unless you never go out that is.

If it isn't the eyes, what is it?

After all, they manufacturers say things like "Look directly at SAD
light for xx minutes".

There are many, many people who do not have the freedom to go out as and
when they wish. For many different reasons.

Acording to Wikilies,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Photose..._ganglion_cell

which doesn't contradict anything else I've read about the subject,
there are non image forming photoreceptors in the human eye which, even
in people without working rods and cones, can detect blue light and use
it to reset the viewer's circadian clock, so one of the primary
properties of a SAD treating lightbox is a lot of emission at 480 nm or
thereabouts.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/04/2013 15:46, wrote:
[...]

Further down the thread I did write that some people seem to need more
blue. But my response that it IS the eyes applies whether it is ordinary
rods and cones or some ganglions. :-)

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/04/2013 15:46, wrote:
[...]

No argument with that, the reset seems to survive a lack of rods and
cones, and also reasonably dense cataracts. As cataracts not only reduce
the amount of light entering the eye, but the colour balance, too, then
it's possible that differing degrees of opacity in the lens and cornea
may change sensitivity to various types of light in the resetting process.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
wrote:
'Broad spectrum' is snake oil, eyes only detect RGB. As you say, SAD
boxes are just bulbs in a box.

Plenty of high efficiency lights ain't broad spectrum. Which is why many
find them unpleasant. Ordinary tungsten tends to be broad spectrum.

I don't know if I suffer from 'SAD' but short dark days do sort of depress
me. Or rather a bit of sun cheers me up. And a goodly level of artificial
light helps on those sort of dark days.

--
*ONE NICE THING ABOUT EGOTISTS: THEY DON'T TALK ABOUT OTHER PEOPLE.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Apr 7, 7:07*pm, Java Jive wrote:
AIUI, SAD is caused by Vitamin D deficiency, and Vitamin D is made in
the skin under the action of sunlight. *Hence the deficiency and the

I thought it was melamine deficiency?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/04/2013 08:11, harry wrote:
On Apr 7, 7:07 pm, Java Jive wrote:
AIUI, SAD is caused by Vitamin D deficiency, and Vitamin D is made in
the skin under the action of sunlight. Hence the deficiency and the

I thought it was melamine deficiency?

That is what poisoned lots of people in China!

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/04/2013 08:17, polygonum wrote:
On 08/04/2013 08:11, harry wrote:
On Apr 7, 7:07 pm, Java Jive wrote:
AIUI, SAD is caused by Vitamin D deficiency, and Vitamin D is made in
the skin under the action of sunlight. Hence the deficiency and the

I thought it was melamine deficiency?

That is what poisoned lots of people in China!

Obviously - not the deficiency, but the presence of melamine in lots of
things where it should not have been.

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

harry wrote:
On Apr 7, 7:07 pm, Java Jive wrote:
AIUI, SAD is caused by Vitamin D deficiency, and Vitamin D is made in
the skin under the action of sunlight. Hence the deficiency and the

I thought it was melamine deficiency?

Um, it's good for counter tops but very poisonous.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2008_Chinese_milk_scandal

I think you mean melanin.

Tim
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/04/2013 08:20, Tim+ wrote:
harry wrote:
On Apr 7, 7:07 pm, Java Jive wrote:
AIUI, SAD is caused by Vitamin D deficiency, and Vitamin D is made in
the skin under the action of sunlight. Hence the deficiency and the

I thought it was melamine deficiency?

Um, it's good for counter tops but very poisonous.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2008_Chinese_milk_scandal

I think you mean melanin.

Tim

I don't.

I think he might mean melatonin. At least that is a hormone! Rather than
a plastic or a pigment.

But not everyone who has taken melatonin supplements has benefited. It
is not clear that the issue is a simple melatonin deficiency.

--
Rod

Posted to uk.d-i-y
AC AC is offline

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
wrote:
'Broad spectrum' is snake oil, eyes only detect RGB. As you say, SAD
boxes are just bulbs in a box.

Plenty of high efficiency lights ain't broad spectrum. Which is why many
find them unpleasant. Ordinary tungsten tends to be broad spectrum.

I don't know if I suffer from 'SAD' but short dark days do sort of depress
me. Or rather a bit of sun cheers me up. And a goodly level of artificial
light helps on those sort of dark days.

Im sort of the same. I swear I can feel it as the days get shorter and
longer, and so my mood and energy levels, or whatever, is effected. For
me though, no artificial light helps at all. I think its as much day
length as sun light.

However, Im not 100% sure its not a psychological thing that I have kind
of trained myself in to as a annual routine. But I would not assume that
of everyone else.

--
AC
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

I don't know if I suffer from 'SAD' but short dark days do sort of depress
me. Or rather a bit of sun cheers me up.

It's just the ursine genes sending out a 4-month version of a mañana signal.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 08 Apr 2013 22:01:52 +0100, AC wrote:

I don't know if I suffer from 'SAD' but short dark days do sort of
depress me.

Im sort of the same. I swear I can feel it as the days get shorter and
longer, and so my mood and energy levels, or whatever, is effected.

Same here, I really don't function at 100% in Dec/Jan. Getting up in the
dark, getting kids ready with it dark, dark at 1600 to 1700. Start
feeling a lot better once there is decent light outside from about 0630
or earlier so it's properly light by 0700.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 07 Apr 2013 14:23:47 +0100, newshound
wrote:

All you seem to need is a couple of 36W CFLs and a diffuser.

Any comments? Anyone made or used one?

I made one from a 4ft recessed fluoro ceiling box that had 4 fitting
installed. I doubled the tubes to 8 and fired it up.
SAD? Not me

I also made a smaller one from 2' fittings, same idea.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 08 Apr 2013 08:19:57 +0100, polygonum
wrote:

I thought it was melamine deficiency?

That is what poisoned lots of people in China!

Obviously - not the deficiency, but the presence of melamine in lots of
things where it should not have been.

Lovely finish, though.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
AC wrote:
I don't know if I suffer from 'SAD' but short dark days do sort of
depress me. Or rather a bit of sun cheers me up. And a goodly level of
artificial light helps on those sort of dark days.

Im sort of the same. I swear I can feel it as the days get shorter and
longer, and so my mood and energy levels, or whatever, is effected. For
me though, no artificial light helps at all. I think its as much day
length as sun light.

However, Im not 100% sure its not a psychological thing that I have kind
of trained myself in to as a annual routine. But I would not assume that
of everyone else.

I probably hibernated in a previous incarnation.

--
*Happiness is seeing your mother-in-law on a milk carton

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

I thought it was melamine deficiency?

That is what poisoned lots of people in China!

Obviously - not the deficiency, but the presence of melamine in lots of
things where it should not have been.

Lovely finish, though.

Did you see that some UK supermarkets are now restricting purchase of
baby milk powders because a huge unofficial export market has developed?
Seems the Chinese do not trust their own (after the melamine in formula
scandals there) so are sending vast quantities to relatives in China -
and maybe even commercially.

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/04/2013 23:13, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Mon, 08 Apr 2013 22:01:52 +0100, AC wrote:

I don't know if I suffer from 'SAD' but short dark days do sort of
depress me.

Im sort of the same. I swear I can feel it as the days get shorter and
longer, and so my mood and energy levels, or whatever, is effected.

Same here, I really don't function at 100% in Dec/Jan. Getting up in the
dark, getting kids ready with it dark, dark at 1600 to 1700. Start
feeling a lot better once there is decent light outside from about 0630
or earlier so it's properly light by 0700.

You need some lights on a timer.
It is claimed a bluish light will wake you so fit one of those for the
morning and fit a warm white to switch on a few minutes later.

Keep the lights on till you go to bed.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/04/2013 15:46, wrote:

[...]

I heard about this sort of thing on a podcast about blind people being tested with SAD light boxes. It's not just about the visual light as you say.

http://www.scientificamerican.com/ar...o-blind-people

I believed a flatmate of mine suffered due to lack of sunlight because her working hours were ~10:30pm to ~5am 5-6 days a week.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/04/2013 08:11, harry wrote:
On Apr 7, 7:07 pm, Java Jive wrote:
AIUI, SAD is caused by Vitamin D deficiency, and Vitamin D is made in
the skin under the action of sunlight. Hence the deficiency and the

I thought it was melamine deficiency?

I have a melamine worktop in garage, does that mean I'm OK then ?