Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Track lighting systems

Don't judge me. I've been rather taken by the Ikea track lighting
system.

Only problem is, the Ikea system only seems to let you connect power at
one end of the track - not much use when the lighting cables emerge in
the centre of the room.

Can anyone:
a) tell me if it's possible somehow to set up the ikea system with the
power connector in the middle of the track; or
b) recommend an alternative track system that allows this

I'm after a track system primarily *not* for halogen spotlights. What I
liked about the Ikea system was that you could connect most of their
pendant lights to it. Are other manufacturers tracks compatible?

Thanks,

Alex

--
Swish - Easy SFTP for Windows Explorer (http://www.swish-sftp.org)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Alexander Lamaison wrote:
Don't judge me. I've been rather taken by the Ikea track lighting
system.

Only problem is, the Ikea system only seems to let you connect power at
one end of the track - not much use when the lighting cables emerge in
the centre of the room.

Can anyone:
a) tell me if it's possible somehow to set up the ikea system with the
power connector in the middle of the track; or

Two short tracks meeting in the middle?

Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bill Wright writes:

Alexander Lamaison wrote:
Don't judge me. I've been rather taken by the Ikea track lighting
system.

Only problem is, the Ikea system only seems to let you connect power at
one end of the track - not much use when the lighting cables emerge in
the centre of the room.

Can anyone:
a) tell me if it's possible somehow to set up the ikea system with the
power connector in the middle of the track; or

Two short tracks meeting in the middle?

Getting that setup wass the problem. Couldn't find an Ikea connector
that fitted in the middle.

But Tim's suggestion would work and, after trawling through the
'Assembly instruction' PDFs on their website, I've found that their
4-way connector actually accepts power so I could use that too.

Alex

--
Swish - Easy SFTP for Windows Explorer (http://www.swish-sftp.org)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Alexander Lamaison wrote:
Don't judge me. I've been rather taken by the Ikea track lighting
system.

Only problem is, the Ikea system only seems to let you connect power at
one end of the track - not much use when the lighting cables emerge in
the centre of the room.

Can anyone:
a) tell me if it's possible somehow to set up the ikea system with the
power connector in the middle of the track; or
b) recommend an alternative track system that allows this

I'm after a track system primarily *not* for halogen spotlights. What I
liked about the Ikea system was that you could connect most of their
pendant lights to it. Are other manufacturers tracks compatible?

Thanks,

Alex

Could you use a three way connector to supply power to the centre of two
shorter lengths of track?

http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/50171457/

Tim
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim+ writes:

Alexander Lamaison wrote:
[...]

I could indeed. Good idea, thanks. Sometime I'm just dense.

Alex

--
Swish - Easy SFTP for Windows Explorer (http://www.swish-sftp.org)