Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Thermostatic shower

An elderly friend has moved into a new retirement home. she said that the
shower keeps going cold soon after she gets in. I don't think it will be a
shortage of hot water. She describes the shower valve as chrome with two
knobs - one for temp and one to turn it off.

I don't have any first hand experience of thermostatic valves (I have a
pressure balancing type)but I suspect she may be doing the typical "old
person" technique of turning it up full to bring the heat through - and
this might be activating some sort of anti-scald device.

I imagine the builders would have fitted a safe unit.

As she is 20 miles away, and it blaming the builders and the modern world,
I would like to try and make an appropriate suggestion before she gets too
wound up.

Do such showers have a feature that is likely to respond to a high temp by
shutting down the hot flow?

I feel inclined to tactfully suggest she sets the temp lower before turning
it on.

Thermostatic shower Magpie UK diy 13 September 22nd 06 08:25 AM
Thermostatic Shower advice babs UK diy 2 November 1st 05 08:43 AM
Thermostatic shower [email protected] UK diy 2 July 31st 05 12:03 PM
Shower Pumps and Thermostatic Shower Valves jdi UK diy 4 December 20th 04 04:12 PM
Shower too hot - thermostatic mixer warwick UK diy 2 September 26th 04 11:49 AM