Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Locked-in syndrome

This morning we couldn't get out the front door - the 5-lever mortice
lock just wouldn't fully turn despite a lot of attempted wheedling.
Managed it by getting out another way and eventually engaging it from
the outside.

Is it just worn and should be replaced?

E.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 23/03/2013 12:05, eastender wrote:
This morning we couldn't get out the front door - the 5-lever mortice
lock just wouldn't fully turn despite a lot of attempted wheedling.
Managed it by getting out another way and eventually engaging it from
the outside.

Is it just worn and should be replaced?

Or the key is worn / it's a bad copy ...

Or the lock needs oiling, but wear sounds more likely. Likewise, I
assume it wasn't full of snow and ice?

You might get away with replacing just the levers, but you'd need to
have a look inside the lock to see what else is worn. It's not worth
taking a chance, as the cost of calling a locksmith out is far more than
the cost of a lock.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2013-03-23 12:25:41 +0000, GB said:

Or the key is worn / it's a bad copy ...

Or the lock needs oiling, but wear sounds more likely. Likewise, I
assume it wasn't full of snow and ice?

You might get away with replacing just the levers, but you'd need to
have a look inside the lock to see what else is worn. It's not worth
taking a chance, as the cost of calling a locksmith out is far more
than the cost of a lock.

Thanks - think I'll go buy a new one. Tried it with four keys and
squirted some oil in. It will work but only if the key is in an exact
point that is now hard to find€¦

E.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

eastender wrote:

p.p1 {margin: 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px; line-height: 15.0px; font: 12.0px Helvetica}
p.p2 {margin: 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px; line-height: 15.0px; font: 12.0px Helvetica; color: #011892; min-height: 14.0px}
p.p3 {margin: 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px 12.0px; font: 12.0px Helvetica; color: #011892}
p.p4 {margin: 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px 12.0px; font: 12.0px Helvetica; color: #011892; min-height: 14.0px}
p.p5 {margin: 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px; line-height: 14.0px; font: 12.0px Helvetica; min-height: 14.0px}
p.p6 {margin: 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px; line-height: 14.0px; font: 12.0px Helvetica}
p.p7 {margin: 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px; font: 12.0px Helvetica; color: #000000; min-height: 14.0px}

I've not heard of Unison newsreader (probably cos I'm not a Mac user)
hopefully it's got a setting to disable HTML replies?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2013-03-23 12:50:24 +0000, Andy Burns said:

eastender wrote:

p.p1 {margin: 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px; line-height: 15.0px; font:
12.0px Helvetica}
p.p2 {margin: 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px; line-height: 15.0px; font:
12.0px Helvetica; color: #011892; min-height: 14.0px}
p.p3 {margin: 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px 12.0px; font: 12.0px Helvetica; color: #011892}
p.p4 {margin: 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px 12.0px; font: 12.0px Helvetica; color:
#011892; min-height: 14.0px}
p.p5 {margin: 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px; line-height: 14.0px; font:
12.0px Helvetica; min-height: 14.0px}
p.p6 {margin: 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px; line-height: 14.0px; font:
12.0px Helvetica}
p.p7 {margin: 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px; font: 12.0px Helvetica; color:
#000000; min-height: 14.0px}

I've not heard of Unison newsreader (probably cos I'm not a Mac user)
hopefully it's got a setting to disable HTML replies?

sorry - not been using it long - I'll have look. I'm not seeing this
of course...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2013-03-23 12:50:24 +0000, Andy Burns said:

eastender wrote:

[...]

The OP looked OK in Dialog.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article 2013032312352680245-nospam@nospamcom,
On 2013-03-23 12:25:41 +0000, GB said:

Or the key is worn / it's a bad copy ...

Or the lock needs oiling, but wear sounds more likely. Likewise, I
assume it wasn't full of snow and ice?

You might get away with replacing just the levers, but you'd need to
have a look inside the lock to see what else is worn. It's not worth
taking a chance, as the cost of calling a locksmith out is far more
than the cost of a lock.

Thanks - think I'll go buy a new one. Tried it with four keys and
squirted some oil in. It will work but only if the key is in an exact
point that is now hard to findŒ

you shouldn't lubricate a lock with oil - graphite powder is the proper
stuff.

E.

--
From KT24

Using a RISC OS computer running v5.18

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , charles
writes

you shouldn't lubricate a lock with oil - graphite powder is the proper
stuff.

For a lever lock, strip and re-grease, for a cylinder, PTFE lube. I
definitely would not use graphite, it clumps and becomes gritty if
anyone mistakenly uses solvent based spray lube in error.
--
fred
it's a ba-na-na . . . .
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article 2013032312050369142-nospam@nospamcom,
eastender writes:
This morning we couldn't get out the front door - the 5-lever mortice
lock just wouldn't fully turn despite a lot of attempted wheedling.
Managed it by getting out another way and eventually engaging it from
the outside.

Is it just worn and should be replaced?

Locking that when you're in the house (even if it was working)
means your chances of surviving a house fire are reduced, and
very significantly reduced if the fire happens at night.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

* * * * eastender writes:

This morning we couldn't get out the front door - the 5-lever mortice
lock just wouldn't fully turn despite a lot of attempted wheedling.
Managed it by getting out another way and eventually engaging it from
the outside.

Is it just worn and should be replaced?

Locking that when you're in the house (even if it was working)
means your chances of surviving a house fire are reduced, and
very significantly reduced if the fire happens at night.

er so not locking (your fully operational lock on) your front door at
night is your recommendation then??

mmm

Jim K

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2013-03-23 13:13:23 +0000, Jim K said:

Locking that when you're in the house (even if it was working)
means your chances of surviving a house fire are reduced, and
very significantly reduced if the fire happens at night.

er so not locking (your fully operational lock on) your front door at
night is your recommendation then??

It's a good point. In our case we have another front door and french
windows both on a balcony, so we have a choice of exits. But I do
remember asking an insurance company why we should (double) lock all
exit windows and doors at night when the house is occupied as it is a
possible safety hazard - I'd rather be burgled than die in a fire.

I didn't get an answer.

E.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2013-03-23 13:13:23 +0000, Jim K said:

Locking that when you're in the house (even if it was working)
means your chances of surviving a house fire are reduced, and
very significantly reduced if the fire happens at night.

er so not locking (your fully operational lock on) your front door at
night is your recommendation then??

It's a good point. In our case we have another front door and french
windows both on a balcony, so we have a choice of exits. But I do
remember asking an insurance company why we should (double) lock all
exit windows and doors at night when the house is occupied as it is a
possible safety hazard - I'd rather be burgled than die in a fire.

I didn't get an answer.

E.

It's simple - the insurance company would rather you died than made a claim
that would affect profits/bonuses.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
Posted to uk.d-i-y

PeterC wrote:

On Sat, 23 Mar 2013 13:17:59 +0000, eastender wrote:

It's a good point. In our case we have another front door and french
windows both on a balcony, so we have a choice of exits. But I do
remember asking an insurance company why we should (double) lock all
exit windows and doors at night when the house is occupied as it is a
possible safety hazard - I'd rather be burgled than die in a fire.

I didn't get an answer.

E.

It's simple - the insurance company would rather you died than made a claim
that would affect profits/bonuses.

Unless the same insurance company has insured his life! In that case I
suppose the relative sizes of the two pay-outs would be relevant.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

* * * * eastender writes:

This morning we couldn't get out the front door - the 5-lever mortice
lock just wouldn't fully turn despite a lot of attempted wheedling.
Managed it by getting out another way and eventually engaging it from
the outside.

Is it just worn and should be replaced?

Locking that when you're in the house (even if it was working)
means your chances of surviving a house fire are reduced, and
very significantly reduced if the fire happens at night.

er so not locking (your fully operational lock on) your front door at
night is your recommendation then??

When you're in the house, you need to be able to unlock it quickly,
in the dark and smoke, without requiring keys.

When the house is empty, then it's good to have it locked such that
it can't be opened even from the inside without a key, but you don't
want to ever do this when the house is occupied.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2013-03-23 14:48:38 +0000, Andrew Gabriel said:

When you're in the house, you need to be able to unlock it quickly,
in the dark and smoke, without requiring keys.

What does your insurance company say?

E.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article 2013032315075823402-nospam@nospamcom,
On 2013-03-23 14:48:38 +0000, Andrew Gabriel said:

When you're in the house, you need to be able to unlock it quickly,
in the dark and smoke, without requiring keys.

What does your insurance company say?

I mean from the inside.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"eastender" wrote in message
This morning we couldn't get out the front door - the 5-lever mortice lock
just wouldn't fully turn despite a lot of attempted wheedling. Managed it
by getting out another way and eventually engaging it from the outside.

Is it just worn and should be replaced?

E.

Had a similar problem with a good quality lock at my daughters. The brass
bit that turns with the key was badly worn. I took the lock out and went to
the local locksmiths. He replaced the brass bit and lubricated and checked
the rest (levers etc.). He charged me £10. It is now no trouble at all.
Lawrence

Take apart - put together syndrome Buerste Metalworking 98 September 2nd 10 07:04 AM
China Syndrome [email protected] UK diy 1 September 6th 08 05:02 PM
China Syndrome Rod UK diy 2 September 6th 08 03:55 PM
China Syndrome Alan UK diy 0 September 6th 08 01:22 AM
The Bumble Bee Syndrome charlieb Woodturning 3 April 15th 07 03:35 PM