Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.driving

Default Intersting: two wheeler self-balancing enclosed electric scooter

This is interesting.

"Sitting in the glare of a few spotlights is the LIT Motors C1, an
enclosed two-wheeler that combines the flexibility and fuel efficiency
of an electric motorcycle with the safety, comfort and storage space of
a small automobile.
But there's a true innovation at work: the C1 has two powerful on-board
gyroscopes generating 1,300 ft-lbs of torque that keep the two-wheeler
upright even when struck by a larger vehicle."

The YouTube headline calls it a car, but I think scooter is more
appropriate. Carooter? Scar?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HEwv7Z4SSQQ

--
(\_/)
(='.'=)
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.driving

On 23/03/2013 10:01, Mike Tomlinson wrote:

This is interesting.

"Sitting in the glare of a few spotlights is the LIT Motors C1, an
enclosed two-wheeler that combines the flexibility and fuel efficiency
of an electric motorcycle with the safety, comfort and storage space of
a small automobile.
But there's a true innovation at work: the C1 has two powerful on-board
gyroscopes generating 1,300 ft-lbs of torque that keep the two-wheeler
upright even when struck by a larger vehicle."

The YouTube headline calls it a car, but I think scooter is more
appropriate. Carooter? Scar?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HEwv7Z4SSQQ

Is that an early prototype for a C5? ;-)

--
Howard Neil
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.driving

Presumably, once the gyros are powered down it becomes almost as vulnerable
to being knocked over as any ordinary bike: those support legs, even though
they're on both sides, don't look very substantial. Lovely idea though.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.driving

On 23/03/2013 10:01, Mike Tomlinson wrote:

This is interesting.

"Sitting in the glare of a few spotlights is the LIT Motors C1, an
enclosed two-wheeler that combines the flexibility and fuel efficiency
of an electric motorcycle with the safety, comfort and storage space of
a small automobile.
But there's a true innovation at work: the C1 has two powerful on-board
gyroscopes generating 1,300 ft-lbs of torque that keep the two-wheeler
upright even when struck by a larger vehicle."

The YouTube headline calls it a car, but I think scooter is more
appropriate. Carooter? Scar?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HEwv7Z4SSQQ

Looks cool. These things don't have a good track record commercially,
which is a shame.

http://www.douglas-self.com/MUSEUM/T...rs/gyrocar.htm

Cheers,

Colin.
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.driving

On Sat, 23 Mar 2013 10:41:42 -0000
"Bert Coules" wrote:
Presumably, once the gyros are powered down it becomes almost as vulnerable
to being knocked over as any ordinary bike: those support legs, even though
they're on both sides, don't look very substantial. Lovely idea though.

And while its powered up I imagine the gyroscopes are happily using up the
battery power. Seems a bit because we can rather than because we need to
really.

--
Spud

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.driving

On 23/03/13 10:01, Mike Tomlinson wrote:

This is interesting.

"Sitting in the glare of a few spotlights is the LIT Motors C1, an
enclosed two-wheeler that combines the flexibility and fuel efficiency
of an electric motorcycle with the safety, comfort and storage space of
a small automobile.
But there's a true innovation at work: the C1 has two powerful on-board
gyroscopes generating 1,300 ft-lbs of torque that keep the two-wheeler
upright even when struck by a larger vehicle."

The YouTube headline calls it a car, but I think scooter is more
appropriate. Carooter? Scar?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HEwv7Z4SSQQ

if it has gyros to keep it upright it must be a bitch to corner on..

--
Ineptocracy

diminishing number of producers.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 23 Mar 2013 13:43:09 +0000, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

On 23/03/13 10:01, Mike Tomlinson wrote:

This is interesting.

"Sitting in the glare of a few spotlights is the LIT Motors C1, an
enclosed two-wheeler that combines the flexibility and fuel efficiency
of an electric motorcycle with the safety, comfort and storage space of
a small automobile.
But there's a true innovation at work: the C1 has two powerful on-board
gyroscopes generating 1,300 ft-lbs of torque that keep the two-wheeler
upright even when struck by a larger vehicle."

The YouTube headline calls it a car, but I think scooter is more
appropriate. Carooter? Scar?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HEwv7Z4SSQQ

if it has gyros to keep it upright it must be a bitch to corner on..

It could take part in The Lord Mayor's Precession.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.driving

On 23/03/2013 10:01, Mike Tomlinson wrote:

This is interesting.

Info from their web site;

How Does The C-1 Stay Upright At A Stoplight? When Parked? Does It Lean
Into Turns? Does It Have A Kickstand? Can It Go In Reverse?
The C-1 is self-balancing, using two gyroscopes to keep the vehicle
upright when stopped. The C-1 has €ślanding gear€ť which are deployed when
parked to keep the vehicle upright. The gyros are fully controlled by
the vehicle, allowing the C-1 to lean itself into and out of turns,
maintaining stability at all times. And yes, it has a reverse gear!

How Would The C-1 Work With My Commute? How Would It Save Me Time?
The C-1 is the ultimate urban driving solution. Since the C-1 is
classified as a motorcycle, it allows you to lane split, ride two
abreast in one lane, use the HOV lane, use motorcycle parking, and the
many other advantages motorcycles have. We estimate it will cut most
commute times by up to 50%. If you live in the city, this could be your
primary vehicle: easy to park and slip through traffic, with services
like Zipcar, Getaround, or traditional car rentals available when you
need a larger vehicle or an extended road trip. If you live outside the
city, this could be your primary commuting vehicle, with a larger
€śfamily car€ť at home. This allows the commuter(s) in the family to
travel in, around, and out of the city easily and efficiently, saving
money and time every day.

What Are The Basic Specs Of The C-1?
The C-1 will have a top speed of 100+ mph (160+ kph), 0-60 mph (0-100
kph) in 6 seconds, and a range of 200 miles (320 km) per charge.
Dimensions: 800 lbs. (360 kg) curb weight, 112€ł (2.8 m) long, 55€ł (1.4
m) tall, 40€ł (1 m) wide.

What Kind Of Drivetrain Are You Using? Is The C-1 Electric? Does It Use
Solar Panels At All?
Yep! The C-1 is fully-electric, using high torque, direct drive, in-hub
motors. This allows for a smaller, simpler body and quick, efficient
driving. Since the C-1 is so small, solar panels would not generate much
electricity. However, were looking into that option, if it can be made
cost-effective.

What Can You Tell Me About The Battery?
Batteries are not our core technology; were using the best available
technology, and designing to be able to easily integrate new technology
as it becomes available. Were currently using lithium iron phosphate
batteries. Because of the C-1€˛s small size, we only need an 8 kWh
battery pack, which is supplemented with our patented KERS regen braking
system, giving another virtual kWh. Charge times will be 4-6 hours,
depending on charging voltage. The C-1 will also be able to use higher
voltage quick charge stations, giving an 80% charge in less than a half
hour. As with all EVs, the battery pack will eventually need to be
replaced. However, since it is 1/4 €“ 1/10 the size of a typical EV
battery pack, the replacement cost will be much, much more affordable.

What Are The Safety Features Of The C-1?
Safety is one of our top priorities with this vehicle. The C-1 will have
a steel unibody chassis with reinforced doors, seat belts, and multiple
airbags. However, the most important safety feature is our gyro
stability system. This will keep the C-1 upright even in a collision,
preventing the vehicle from flipping or rolling. All critical systems
are double- or triple-redundant, with mechanical backups to allow the
driver to steer and stop the car even in a catastrophic failure of all
systems. This includes the same €ślanding gear€ť that keeps the C-1
upright when parked.

What Will Shipping Costs Be? Will You Deliver Outside Of California/US?
We will have a dealership and service network across North America and
the world €“ details will be released as we near production.

Is The C-1 Road Legal? What Kind Of License Do I Need To Drive It?
Yes, the C-1 is 100% street legal. At first, a motorcycle license will
be required €“ but you can take that test in the C-1. We are working to
have the C-1 recognized as a separate class of vehicle.

Is There/What Is The Warranty? Where Will I Be Able To Go To Service My C-1?
We will have a dealership and service network across North America and
the world. Details concerning that network and our warranty will be
released as we near production €“ but rest assured, we will stand firmly
behind our vehicle.

Are You Hiring? Where Can I Inquire About A Job At Lit Motors?
Were currently seeking a select few specialized, experienced engineers.
See more information on our careers page.

How Much Cargo Does The C-1 Fit? Can It Carry A Passenger?
In addition to the driver: the C-1 has enough space for an adult
passenger and a small bag, or about the same amount of cargo you can
carry on a plane (roller bag, briefcase, a few bags of groceries).

Will I Fit In The C-1?
We designed the C-1 to accommodate drivers from 5 to 63€ť€”however,
weve had people up to 65€ť fit comfortably in our prototypes. The C-1
was not designed for a specific weight limit; the motors are quite
powerful, so weight should not be an issue.

What Options/Features Will Be Available For The C-1?
Exact details will be released as we near production, but the C-1 will
have climate control (heat+A/C), fully operable windows, a
moonroof/convertible option, direct drive in-hub motors, center-hub
steering, full cloud/smartphone integration, premiere sound system, and
many more!

Will The C-1 Be Able To Handle Inclement Weather? Off-Road?
Because the C-1 is all-wheel drive and has our gyro stability system, it
will handle as well as, if not better than, any other all-wheel drive
car in inclement weather. And we have an off-road version in the works!

When Will The C-1 Be Available In My Country?
Exact details of our international distribution plan will be released as
we near production. However, we are currently accepting pre-orders,
which will be available to import to your country. Currently about 1/3
of our pre-orders are from outside the US.

How Much Will The C-1 Cost?
The C-1 will cost approximately $24,000 USD, without tax incentives.
With current tax incentives, this could be as low as $19,000 for
California drivers. Check with your local tax/licensing agency to
determine tax incentives in your area.

Didnt BMW Already Use The Name €śC1€ł?
Yep, they did (as did Chevrolet, Citroën, and a variety of others).
€śC-1€ł is just a working name for our vehicle; it will change as we near
production.

What Can You Tell Me About The Cargo Scooter?
Were not releasing many details at the moment, but we will release more
as we near production. Were expecting our first production run in 2013.
Price points will be similar to other electric scooters on the market.
We plan to take the scooter to developing markets soon after initial
production. Some preliminary specs include a 35 mph (55 kph) top speed,
50-80 mile (80-130 km) range, and a 22€ł (0.56 m) square customizable
cargo space. The scooter will be able to carry about 500 lbs (225 kg) of
cargo and rider combined.

Can I Visit Lit Motors? Do You Offer Public Tours Or Test Drives?
Unfortunately we do not currently offer public tours or test drives. We
may offer this in the future€”keep an eye out for updates!

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.driving

On Sat, 23 Mar 2013 10:01:34 +0000, Mike Tomlinson
wrote:

The YouTube headline calls it a car, but I think scooter is more
appropriate. Carooter? Scar?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HEwv7Z4SSQQ

Looks better than their previous attempt.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/03/13 10:01, Mike Tomlinson wrote:

This is interesting.

"Sitting in the glare of a few spotlights is the LIT Motors C1, an
enclosed two-wheeler that combines the flexibility and fuel efficiency
of an electric motorcycle with the safety, comfort and storage space of
a small automobile.
But there's a true innovation at work: the C1 has two powerful on-board
gyroscopes generating 1,300 ft-lbs of torque that keep the two-wheeler
upright even when struck by a larger vehicle."

The YouTube headline calls it a car, but I think scooter is more
appropriate. Carooter? Scar?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HEwv7Z4SSQQ

if it has gyros to keep it upright it must be a bitch to corner on..

It must make the giro bank...

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 23 Mar 2013 21:32:34 +0000, PeterC
wrote:

if it has gyros to keep it upright it must be a bitch to corner on..

It could take part in The Lord Mayor's Precession.

Driven by a member of the Rotary Club?

Coat...
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.driving

On Sat, 23 Mar 2013 21:57:38 +0000, The Medway Handyman
wrote:

What Are The Basic Specs Of The C-1?
The C-1 will have a top speed of 100+ mph (160+ kph), 0-60 mph (0-100
kph) in 6 seconds, and a range of 200 miles (320 km) per charge.

snort
laugh
The usual leccy vehicle maker's bull****.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

if it has gyros to keep it upright it must be a bitch to corner on..

It could take part in The Lord Mayor's Precession.

Driven by a member of the Rotary Club?

Coat...

You calling them a load of wankels?

--
Rod

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

It could take part in The Lord Mayor's Precession.

That could be funny, especially if he gets dizzy.

DerekG

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.driving

wrote:

What Are The Basic Specs Of The C-1?
The C-1 will have a top speed of 100+ mph (160+ kph), 0-60 mph (0-100
kph) in 6 seconds, and a range of 200 miles (320 km) per charge.

snort
laugh
The usual leccy vehicle maker's bull****.

It is only the C-1. It'll be far better when it's up to C-5.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.driving

The Medway Handyman :
The C-1 will have a top speed of 100+ mph (160+ kph), 0-60 mph (0-100
kph) in 6 seconds, and a range of 200 miles (320 km) per charge.

For "and" read "or". At best.

--
Mike Barnes
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.driving

On Sat, 23 Mar 2013 10:01:34 +0000, Mike Tomlinson wrote:

This is interesting.

http://www.douglas-self.com/MUSEUM/T...rs/gyrocar.htm

(comments about how long it took to get the gyro up to speed are
interesting; I wonder how that modern one compares)

OT What do you think about this electric Trikke/scooter? Brian Lawson Metalworking 4 June 7th 10 09:32 AM
electric four wheeler Karl Townsend Metalworking 9 October 2nd 08 09:10 PM
motorcycles, foot scooter, sea scooter Elizazhan Woodworking 0 April 21st 08 01:52 AM
STERN-WHEELER J T Woodworking 0 January 14th 07 04:01 AM
Intersting article on Mahogany harvesting Ian Dodd Woodworking 2 September 10th 04 04:26 PM