Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default retaining ring things wtf are they called?

Like a thin washer with serrated inner diameter that you push over a shaft to retain something on it. From memory they are dished slightly on one face (the side that goes on first) so that the serrated bits bite into the shaft material.

Must be dirt cheap but can I find em on eBay?!

Cheers
Jim K

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/03/2013 15:29, Georg von Krapp wrote:
"Jim K" wrote in message
Like a thin washer with serrated inner diameter that you push over a shaft
to retain something on it. From memory they are dished slightly on one
face (the side that goes on first) so that the serrated bits bite into the
shaft material.

Starlock ?

Yes that's the monkey

--
David
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Jim K" wrote in message
Like a thin washer with serrated inner diameter that you push over a shaft
to retain something on it. From memory they are dished slightly on one
face (the side that goes on first) so that the serrated bits bite into the
shaft material.

Starlock ?

Yes that's the monkey

Part of the large family known collectively as ping****its,
of small things capable of converting their stored potential
energy into kinetic energy in the blink of an eye, or sometimes
if you're unlucky, without the blink of the eye...

--
Andrew Gabriel

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jim K wrote:

Like a thin washer with serrated inner diameter that you push over a shaft to retain something on it. From memory they are dished slightly on one face (the side that goes on first) so that the serrated bits bite into the shaft material.

Circlip? Or is that something else?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mar 19, 3:29*pm, "Georg von Krapp" wrote:
"Jim K" wrote in message

Like a thin washer with serrated inner diameter that you push over a shaft
to retain something on it. From memory they are dished slightly on one
face (the side that goes on first) so that the serrated bits bite into the
shaft material.

Must be dirt cheap but can I find em on eBay?!

Cheers
Jim K

Starlock ?

thassem ;))

Many thanks
Jim K
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/03/2013 5:11 a.m., Andrew Gabriel wrote:
"Jim K" wrote in message
Like a thin washer with serrated inner diameter that you push over a shaft
to retain something on it. From memory they are dished slightly on one
face (the side that goes on first) so that the serrated bits bite into the
shaft material.

Starlock ?

Yes that's the monkey

Part of the large family known collectively as ping****its,
of small things capable of converting their stored potential
energy into kinetic energy in the blink of an eye, or sometimes
if you're unlucky, without the blink of the eye...

Ah, the happy hours I've spent searching for circlips...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Like a thin washer with serrated inner diameter that you push over a
shaft
to retain something on it. From memory they are dished slightly on one
face (the side that goes on first) so that the serrated bits bite into
the
shaft material.

Starlock ?

Yes that's the monkey

Part of the large family known collectively as ping****its,
of small things capable of converting their stored potential
energy into kinetic energy in the blink of an eye, or sometimes
if you're unlucky, without the blink of the eye...

The domed one sided starlock jobbies i've always had to remove come off
quietly with not much fuss.... but the little *******s are bending their
insides during that process, so they never want to go back on without a
fight,

There's probably a proper tool to remove them in a re-useable condition, and
a couple of screwdrivers wiggled about between them and the non rotating
parts of the item isnt it.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Jim K" wrote in message

Like a thin washer with serrated inner diameter that you push over a sha

Crown washer

don;t think so - images (off goggle) show a washer with an *outer* of
serrations (presume to resist vibration from loosening parts?)

"starlock" is the first dead hit, tho there could be others?

Waht I want one for is to secure the pedal of a kids bike back onto
the plain steel spindle - the original is capped with a chunky chromed
"thimble sized" cap - for weather resistance perhaps? - when in place
you wouldn't know it was a starlock undemeath....

Jim K
Jim K
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Jim K" wrote in message

Like a thin washer with serrated inner diameter that you push over a
sha

Crown washer

don;t think so - images (off goggle) show a washer with an *outer* of
serrations (presume to resist vibration from loosening parts?)

"starlock" is the first dead hit, tho there could be others?

Waht I want one for is to secure the pedal of a kids bike back onto
the plain steel spindle - the original is capped with a chunky chromed
"thimble sized" cap - for weather resistance perhaps? - when in place
you wouldn't know it was a starlock undemeath....

Jim K
Jim K

-----

Prob'ly going to be this:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/8mm-5-16-S...item20cf808d31

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Jim K" wrote in message

Like a thin washer with serrated inner diameter that you push over a
sha

Crown washer

don;t think so - *images (off goggle) show a washer with an *outer* of
serrations (presume to resist vibration from loosening parts?)

"starlock" is the first dead hit, tho there could be others?

Waht I want one for is to secure the pedal of a kids bike back onto
the plain steel spindle - the original is capped with a chunky chromed
"thimble sized" cap - for weather resistance perhaps? - when in place
you wouldn't know it was a starlock undemeath....

Jim K
Jim K

-----

Prob'ly going to be this:http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/8mm-5-16-S...AINLESS-STEEL-...

these be em

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/261167583689

BUT I probly need a larger size.... is there another form of words for
this style?

Jim K

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Jim K" wrote in message

[...]

I think 'starlock domed' are the best terms. Maybe this:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/10mm-3-8-S...item20cf808ebd
I think they're only available in even numbered mm sizes.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Frederick Williams wrote:

Jim K wrote:

Like a thin washer with serrated inner diameter that you push over a shaft to retain something on it. From memory they are dished slightly on one face (the side that goes on first) so that the serrated bits bite into the shaft material.

Circlip? Or is that something else?

Not circlips, they are not whole circles. Sorry.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Frederick Williams" wrote in message
Frederick Williams wrote:

Jim K wrote:

Like a thin washer with serrated inner diameter that you push over a
shaft to retain something on it. From memory they are dished slightly
on one face (the side that goes on first) so that the serrated bits
bite into the shaft material.

Circlip? Or is that something else?

Not circlips, they are not whole circles. Sorry.

Circlips need a groove in the bar to ping into... or a groove around the
inside of a hole to ping out against,
both types much prefer ping****iting across the garage of course,

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 19 Mar 2013 14:29:20 -0700, Jim K wrote:

"Jim K" wrote in message

Like a thin washer with serrated inner diameter that you push
over a sha

Crown washer

don;t think so - Â*images (off goggle) show a washer with an *outer* of

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/8mm-5-16-S...aps-STAINLESS-
STEEL-...

these be em

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/261167583689

BUT I probly need a larger size.... is there another form of words for
this style?

Jim K

http://www.comdir.co.uk/Products.asp.../Push-OnFixes/
CappedSpiderfixes/

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/03/2013 21:29, Jim K wrote:

BUT I probly need a larger size.... is there another form of words for
this style?

Spire washer (as opposed to spire nut)?

Starlocks are Made in Birmingham by Baker and Finnemo
http://www.bakfin.com/

Always worth trying the original manufacturer for samples, if you only
need a few...

--
Andy