Rick

Default What are these things called ?

All

On some house, you see shaped stones on the point of a gable wall.

Any idea what these things are called ?

Thanks
Rick
S Viemeister

Rick wrote:

All

On some house, you see shaped stones on the point of a gable wall.

Any idea what these things are called ?

Finials.

Sheila

Nick

"Rick" wrote in message
All

On some house, you see shaped stones on the point of a gable wall.

Any idea what these things are called ?

Thanks
Rick

Or perhaps

corbel
n. supporting projection from wall.

Mary Fisher

"Nick" wrote in message
On some house, you see shaped stones on the point of a gable wall.

Any idea what these things are called ?

Thanks
Rick

Or perhaps

corbel
n. supporting projection from wall.

No, I think he was asking about finials.

Mary

Rick

On Mon, 7 Feb 2005 22:28:52 -0000, "Mary Fisher"
wrote:

"Nick" wrote in message
On some house, you see shaped stones on the point of a gable wall.

Any idea what these things are called ?

Thanks
Rick

Or perhaps

corbel
n. supporting projection from wall.

No, I think he was asking about finials.

Mary

Mary

I have looked up "finials", and these tend to be decroative features
of your roof ridge tiles. I am looking for something a whole lot
bigger, built up on the wall, rather than decoration on the tiles, In
the same way that a chimney may come out of the point of the gable
wall, but somewhat more decroative, and functionally useless.

Thanks
Rick

wrote:

"Nick" wrote in message
On some house, you see shaped stones on the point of a gable

wall.

Any idea what these things are called ?

Thanks
Rick

Or perhaps

corbel
n. supporting projection from wall.

No, I think he was asking about finials.

Mary

Mary

I have looked up "finials", and these tend to be decroative features
of your roof ridge tiles. I am looking for something a whole lot
bigger, built up on the wall, rather than decoration on the tiles, In
the same way that a chimney may come out of the point of the gable
wall, but somewhat more decroative, and functionally useless.

Thanks
Rick

I think they're just called caps or comb caps. They were usually
associated with the roof combs which were originally placed on the
ridges to ensure that evil spirits couldn't come and perch on your
roof. These seem to work most of the time because we haven't had an
evil spirt on our roof for ages now. Well, not since last August Bank
holiday anyway

xav

p.s. I'm not certain about this...