Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Cracked acrylic wash basin

Apart from finding suggestions that a bath tub might last 10 to 15
years, I'm struggling to find out any information on the strength of
acrylic bathroom furniture over the passage of time.

In this case a wash basin has cracked from a falling soap bar; this was
a 3" round 'football' soap bar! The landlord is claiming that the
rental deposit should be withheld partly on this basis.

I would suggest that the bathroom suite is original to the house built
in the 1980's.

Most plastics of this nature loose their resilience and elasticity, but
wondering if anyone can point me to more scientific details.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/03/2013 14:28, Fredxx wrote:
Apart from finding suggestions that a bath tub might last 10 to 15
years, I'm struggling to find out any information on the strength of
acrylic bathroom furniture over the passage of time.

In this case a wash basin has cracked from a falling soap bar; this was
a 3" round 'football' soap bar! The landlord is claiming that the
rental deposit should be withheld partly on this basis.

I would suggest that the bathroom suite is original to the house built
in the 1980's.

Most plastics of this nature loose their resilience and elasticity, but
wondering if anyone can point me to more scientific details.

Acrylic is actually pretty good in this respect, but it *can* suffer
from environmentally assisted cracking.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

A lot of the issues on this depend on what they are mounted onto and how.
Many vanity units are chipboard and these can warp when they get wet of
course putting a strain on the plastic.

Brian

--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
"Fredxx" wrote in message
Apart from finding suggestions that a bath tub might last 10 to 15 years,
I'm struggling to find out any information on the strength of acrylic
bathroom furniture over the passage of time.

In this case a wash basin has cracked from a falling soap bar; this was a
3" round 'football' soap bar! The landlord is claiming that the rental
deposit should be withheld partly on this basis.

I would suggest that the bathroom suite is original to the house built in
the 1980's.

Most plastics of this nature loose their resilience and elasticity, but
wondering if anyone can point me to more scientific details.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/03/2013 15:19, newshound wrote:
On 19/03/2013 14:28, Fredxx wrote:
Apart from finding suggestions that a bath tub might last 10 to 15
years, I'm struggling to find out any information on the strength
of acrylic bathroom furniture over the passage of time.

In this case a wash basin has cracked from a falling soap bar; this
was a 3" round 'football' soap bar! The landlord is claiming that
the rental deposit should be withheld partly on this basis.

I would suggest that the bathroom suite is original to the house
built in the 1980's.

Most plastics of this nature loose their resilience and elasticity,
but wondering if anyone can point me to more scientific details.

Acrylic is actually pretty good in this respect, but it *can* suffer
from environmentally assisted cracking.

Many thanks for the replies. I was talking decades of use, and how the
strength of acrylic deteriorates.

I found one technical source which suggests that tensile strength halves
over 10 years.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/03/2013 14:28, Fredxx wrote:
Apart from finding suggestions that a bath tub might last 10 to 15
years, I'm struggling to find out any information on the strength of
acrylic bathroom furniture over the passage of time.

In this case a wash basin has cracked from a falling soap bar; this was
a 3" round 'football' soap bar! The landlord is claiming that the
rental deposit should be withheld partly on this basis.

I would suggest that the bathroom suite is original to the house built
in the 1980's.

Most plastics of this nature loose their resilience and elasticity, but
wondering if anyone can point me to more scientific details.

According to the American National Association of Home Builders' Study
of Life Expectancy Of Home Components, the life expectancy of modified
acrylic sinks is 50 years.

Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Fredxx" wrote in message
Apart from finding suggestions that a bath tub might last 10 to 15 years,
I'm struggling to find out any information on the strength of acrylic
bathroom furniture over the passage of time.

In this case a wash basin has cracked from a falling soap bar; this was a
3" round 'football' soap bar! The landlord is claiming that the rental
deposit should be withheld partly on this basis.

I would suggest that the bathroom suite is original to the house built in
the 1980's.

Most plastics of this nature loose their resilience and elasticity, but
wondering if anyone can point me to more scientific details.

Well, i'd be slightly inclined to side with the landlord... when he let the
place to you there was a fully functioning sink, and you broke it by
dropping something into it,

However if it was a 'real' sink it wouldent have broken in the first place,
and of course the whole suite is probably due for renewal by now,

Depends on what the landlord is like i guess.... he could be the type that
will take the suites age into account, and maybe go halves on a sink with
you.... or add that money towards a new suite, or he could be one of the
'buy a cheap uninhabitable **** hole in a scummy area, give it a lick of
paint, then rent it out as social housing' types,

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Fredxx wrote:
Apart from finding suggestions that a bath tub might last 10 to 15
years, I'm struggling to find out any information on the strength of
acrylic bathroom furniture over the passage of time.

In this case a wash basin has cracked from a falling soap bar; this
was a 3" round 'football' soap bar! The landlord is claiming that the
rental deposit should be withheld partly on this basis.

And how much is the deposit?

I would suggest that the bathroom suite is original to the house built
in the 1980's.

Most plastics of this nature loose their resilience and elasticity,
but wondering if anyone can point me to more scientific details.

Instead of arguing, why not offer to buy a new one, they're only thirty quid

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/03/2013 19:42, Nightjar wrote:
On 19/03/2013 14:28, Fredxx wrote:
Apart from finding suggestions that a bath tub might last 10 to 15
years, I'm struggling to find out any information on the strength
of acrylic bathroom furniture over the passage of time.

In this case a wash basin has cracked from a falling soap bar; this
was a 3" round 'football' soap bar! The landlord is claiming that
the rental deposit should be withheld partly on this basis.

I would suggest that the bathroom suite is original to the house
built in the 1980's.

Most plastics of this nature loose their resilience and elasticity,
but wondering if anyone can point me to more scientific details.

According to the American National Association of Home Builders'
Study of Life Expectancy Of Home Components, the life expectancy of
modified acrylic sinks is 50 years.

Colin Bignell

Wow, that's some life! I wonder how many get to live that long before
being ripped out and changed.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/03/2013 20:13, Gazz wrote:

"Fredxx" wrote in message
[...]

He used the opportunity to change the whole suite.

I felt the strength of the basin was below that normally expected and
surprised it cracked. If I recall it was only 3mm or so thick. At the
time I removed the basin and repaired underneath with epoxy, but the
crack opened up again just before I left.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Baz Baz is offline

"Phil L" wrote in message
Fredxx wrote:
Apart from finding suggestions that a bath tub might last 10 to 15
years, I'm struggling to find out any information on the strength of
acrylic bathroom furniture over the passage of time.

In this case a wash basin has cracked from a falling soap bar; this
was a 3" round 'football' soap bar! The landlord is claiming that the
rental deposit should be withheld partly on this basis.

And how much is the deposit?

I would suggest that the bathroom suite is original to the house built
in the 1980's.

Most plastics of this nature loose their resilience and elasticity,
but wondering if anyone can point me to more scientific details.

Instead of arguing, why not offer to buy a new one, they're only thirty
quid

That's easy to say IF you have 30 quid to spare.

Baz

Wash basin Tap Spanner Alt Beer[_2_] UK diy 0 November 23rd 12 03:53 PM
wash basin in a bedroom kent UK diy 17 April 19th 12 05:27 PM
wash basin in a bedroom js.b1 UK diy 0 April 16th 12 10:54 PM
Cracked acrylic wash basin Fred UK diy 6 May 26th 06 03:58 PM
Pedestal wash basin Mark Webb UK diy 11 August 20th 04 05:36 PM