Posted to uk.d-i-y
Fredxx[_3_] Fredxx[_3_] is offline

Default Cracked acrylic wash basin

On 19/03/2013 15:19, newshound wrote:
On 19/03/2013 14:28, Fredxx wrote:
Apart from finding suggestions that a bath tub might last 10 to 15
years, I'm struggling to find out any information on the strength
of acrylic bathroom furniture over the passage of time.

In this case a wash basin has cracked from a falling soap bar; this
was a 3" round 'football' soap bar! The landlord is claiming that
the rental deposit should be withheld partly on this basis.

I would suggest that the bathroom suite is original to the house
built in the 1980's.

Most plastics of this nature loose their resilience and elasticity,
but wondering if anyone can point me to more scientific details.

Acrylic is actually pretty good in this respect, but it *can* suffer
from environmentally assisted cracking.

Many thanks for the replies. I was talking decades of use, and how the
strength of acrylic deteriorates.

I found one technical source which suggests that tensile strength halves
over 10 years.