Posted to uk.d-i-y
Fred

Default Cracked acrylic wash basin

In a temper my son decided to crack our wash basin. I presume it's acrylic.

Are there any glues or methods of repair anyone here can recommend?

It's a coloured suite and I really can't afford to replace everything.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andrew Mawson

"Fred" wrote in message
In a temper my son decided to crack our wash basin. I presume it's

acrylic.

Are there any glues or methods of repair anyone here can recommend?

It's a coloured suite and I really can't afford to replace

everything.

And your son is now living..... where precisely .... !

I feel glues are probably not the way to go - shame if it gave way
when full. I'd just put a white one in and reckon to change the rest
of the suite as and when you can. We had a guest who managed to drop
her hair drier though an acrylic basin in the guest room. Only took
half an hour to replace it - huge appologies at breakfast then she
went out and was VERY suprised it was replaced when she came back for
lunch !

AWEM

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Fred

"Andrew Mawson" wrote in message

"Fred" wrote in message
In a temper my son decided to crack our wash basin. I presume it's

acrylic.

Are there any glues or methods of repair anyone here can recommend?

It's a coloured suite and I really can't afford to replace

everything.

And your son is now living..... where precisely .... !

I feel glues are probably not the way to go - shame if it gave way
when full. I'd just put a white one in and reckon to change the rest
of the suite as and when you can. We had a guest who managed to drop
her hair drier though an acrylic basin in the guest room. Only took
half an hour to replace it - huge appologies at breakfast then she
went out and was VERY suprised it was replaced when she came back for
lunch !

I'd sooner have hairline cracks and have it the right colour for the time
being.

I was surprised, or should I say disappointed, how thin it was. Yes it was
empty. If it had been full I doubt it would have broken. And yes he's
still living with us! I hope this is a lesson to him as well as me.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Chris Bacon

Fred wrote:
"Andrew Mawson" wrote...
"Fred" wrotek...
In a temper my son decided to crack our wash basin. I presume it's
acrylic.

Has it got fibre-glass re-inforcement?

Are there any glues or methods of repair anyone here can recommend?

It's a coloured suite and I really can't afford to replace
everything.

What colour is it?

I'd sooner have hairline cracks and have it the right colour for the time
being.

Can you get at the underside of it? Is the underside "on show"?

You might be able to use a car body repair kit, the sort which
contain fibre-glass matting. Mix up some resin, fill the crack,
hold it together with stretched-on tape. Peel off the tape when
the resin has set. Patch the basin underneath with matting and
resin. Note, cellulose thinners on a cloth will wipe away resin
before it has set. Test to see what the thinners might do to
your basin before using them, just in case! You can polish the
resin by using wet'n'dry paper, used wet, fine grade. Use 600
grit for finishing off - rub the faces of two pieces together
to wear it a bit for the final polish, which you can use Brasso
for instead of water, then just Brasso on a clean cloth.

You can get clear-casting resin, various "proper" polishes, and
flour-grade wet'n'dry, but *if* polyester resin is compatible
with whatever you've got, the car stuff will do (don't use too
much hardener, or it'll make a pink resin! Clear cast may be
better).

This'll take most of a day, on and off, I should think.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
The Natural Philosopher

Fred wrote:
In a temper my son decided to crack our wash basin. I presume it's acrylic.

Are there any glues or methods of repair anyone here can recommend?

It's a coloured suite and I really can't afford to replace everything.

Try milliput. Or very thin CA.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Douglas de Lacey

Fred wrote:
In a temper my son decided to crack our wash basin. I presume it's acrylic.

Are there any glues or methods of repair anyone here can recommend?

It's a coloured suite and I really can't afford to replace everything.

Can't you claim on your insurance?
Douglas de Lacey
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Fred

"Douglas de Lacey" wrote in message
Fred wrote:
In a temper my son decided to crack our wash basin. I presume it's
acrylic.

Are there any glues or methods of repair anyone here can recommend?

It's a coloured suite and I really can't afford to replace everything.

Can't you claim on your insurance?
Douglas de Lacey

Insurance? 'Fraid not!

Sump basin question Jack Home Repair 2 November 30th 05 11:56 PM
How to Cut Bathroom Wash Basin? Edwin Pawlowski Home Repair 6 October 25th 05 03:39 AM
Fitting of half pedestal wash basin Justin Time UK diy 0 January 4th 05 12:46 PM
New wash basin not vertical Arthur UK diy 4 September 6th 04 09:55 PM
Pedestal wash basin Mark Webb UK diy 11 August 20th 04 05:36 PM