Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default "Disposable" paintbrush

Just bought some disposable paintbrushes. Why are they disposable? They look like any other paintbrush to me. I fully intend to clean them and reuse them!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/03/2013 17:56, Major Scott wrote:
Just bought some disposable paintbrushes. Why are they disposable?
They look like any other paintbrush to me. I fully intend to clean them
and reuse them!

This paintbrush will self-destruct in five seconds. FX smoke starts
coming out of the brush

Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, March 6, 2013 5:56:59 PM UTC, Major Scott wrote:

Just bought some disposable paintbrushes. Why are they disposable? They look like any other paintbrush to me. I fully intend to clean them and reuse them!

They're ordinary paintbrushes, they're fine, as long as you accept like most cheap brushes some hairs will come out.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/03/2013 17:56, Major Scott wrote:
Just bought some disposable paintbrushes. Why are they disposable?
They look like any other paintbrush to me. I fully intend to clean them
and reuse them!

Because after you have picked the 30th bristle out of your previously
nice paint finish, you hurl it across the room!

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Disposable presumably in that the cost of buying is new one is less than the
cost of your time and effort in cleaning the old. I've seen a set of five
brushes for under a pound. At that price, what's the point of getting
messy, not to mention using up water or any other cleaning material?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/03/2013 17:56, Major Scott wrote:
Just bought some disposable paintbrushes. Why are they disposable?
They look like any other paintbrush to me. I fully intend to clean them
and reuse them!

That's when you will find out why they are called disposable paintbrushes.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 06 Mar 2013 18:43:21 -0000, John Rumm wrote:

On 06/03/2013 17:56, Major Scott wrote:
Just bought some disposable paintbrushes. Why are they disposable?
They look like any other paintbrush to me. I fully intend to clean them
and reuse them!

Because after you have picked the 30th bristle out of your previously
nice paint finish, you hurl it across the room!

I see. Although it does sate the bristles are firmly fixed with solvent proof epoxy......

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 06 Mar 2013 18:28:17 -0000, Nightjar wrote:

On 06/03/2013 17:56, Major Scott wrote:
Just bought some disposable paintbrushes. Why are they disposable?
They look like any other paintbrush to me. I fully intend to clean them
and reuse them!

This paintbrush will self-destruct in five seconds. FX smoke starts
coming out of the brush

That's where I was going wrong, I thought I was just painting too fast.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 06 Mar 2013 18:50:00 -0000, The Medway Handyman wrote:

On 06/03/2013 17:56, Major Scott wrote:
Just bought some disposable paintbrushes. Why are they disposable?
They look like any other paintbrush to me. I fully intend to clean them
and reuse them!

That's when you will find out why they are called disposable paintbrushes.

The epoxy is solvent proof, allegedly.

Are you that guy that hates bicycles? :-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bert Coules wrote

Disposable presumably in that the cost of buying is new one is less than
the cost of your time and effort in cleaning the old. I've seen a set of
five brushes for under a pound. At that price, what's the point of
getting messy, not to mention using up water or any other cleaning
material?

Because you get a better brush that's easier to use to paint with.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Major Scott" wrote in message
news
Just bought some disposable paintbrushes. Why are they disposable? They
look like any other paintbrush to me. I fully intend to clean them and
reuse them!

Pikey.
When the black bristles fall out on to your nice white paint you will be
very upset.
I was.
But then again, I have very high standards. You are a peasant.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 06 Mar 2013 19:33:59 -0000, Mr Pounder wrote:

"Major Scott" wrote in message
news
Just bought some disposable paintbrushes. Why are they disposable? They
look like any other paintbrush to me. I fully intend to clean them and
reuse them!

Pikey.
When the black bristles fall out on to your nice white paint you will be
very upset.
I was.
But then again, I have very high standards. You are a peasant.

Firstly, if they fell out on the first attempt, that would make it a crap paintbrush, not a disposable one. It would be equally crap on the first use as on the subsequent uses you're not meant to use.

Secondly, bristles can come off the expensive ones too. You just pick them off and paint over that bit again.

--
No I still haven't installed my sig program on my new computer.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Rod Speed wrote:

At that price, what's the point of
getting messy, not to mention using
up water or any other cleaning
material?

Because you get a better brush that's easier to use to paint with.

Really? Cleaning a paint brush improves it? I didn't know that.

Bert
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

"Major Scott" wrote in message
news
Just bought some disposable paintbrushes. Why are they disposable?
They
look like any other paintbrush to me. I fully intend to clean them and
reuse them!

Pikey.
When the black bristles fall out on to your nice white paint you will be
very upset.
I was.
But then again, I have very high standards. You are a peasant.

Firstly, if they fell out on the first attempt, that would make it a crap
paintbrush, not a disposable one. It would be equally crap on the first
use as on the subsequent uses you're not meant to use.

Secondly, bristles can come off the expensive ones too. You just pick
them off and paint over that bit again.

On decent brushes the bristles do not fall out. These are dead expensive and
can cost upward of 3 quid each for diy.

--
No I still haven't installed my sig program on my new computer.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

"Major Scott" wrote in message
news Just bought some disposable paintbrushes. Why are they disposable?
They
look like any other paintbrush to me. I fully intend to clean them and
reuse them!

Pikey.
When the black bristles fall out on to your nice white paint you will be
very upset.
I was.
But then again, I have very high standards. You are a peasant.

Firstly, if they fell out on the first attempt, that would make it a crap
paintbrush, not a disposable one. It would be equally crap on the first
use as on the subsequent uses you're not meant to use.

Secondly, bristles can come off the expensive ones too. You just pick
them off and paint over that bit again.

On decent brushes the bristles do not fall out. These are dead expensive and
can cost upward of 3 quid each for diy.

I have used them. The bristles stay in a bit more, but thy still come out.

--
No I still haven't installed my sig program on my new computer.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Bert Coules" wrote in message
o.uk...
Rod Speed wrote:

At that price, what's the point of getting messy, not to mention using
up water or any other cleaning material?

Because you get a better brush that's easier to use to paint with.

Really?

Yep.

Cleaning a paint brush improves it?

Never said that.

I didn't know that.

Just add it to the list of all the others.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Rod Speed" wrote:

Never said that.

Well, yes you did, as my quoted extract from your post illustrated, but
there's little point in my trying to convince you of the fact.

Bert

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Bert Coules" wrote in message
o.uk...
"Rod Speed" wrote:

Never said that.

Well, yes you did,

Say he carefully deleting from the quoting what I actually said.

Proving to the world that you always have been a pathological liar.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/03/2013 17:56, Major Scott wrote:
Just bought some disposable paintbrushes. Why are they disposable?
They look like any other paintbrush to me. I fully intend to clean them
and reuse them!

Hmm, you should talk to my missus. As far as she's concerned, *all*
paintbrushes are disposable... "life's too short for cleaning bloody
paintbrushes". Hence I stopped buying decent brushes

--
David
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 06 Mar 2013 23:11:51 -0000, Lobster wrote:

On 06/03/2013 17:56, Major Scott wrote:
Just bought some disposable paintbrushes. Why are they disposable?
They look like any other paintbrush to me. I fully intend to clean them
and reuse them!

Hmm, you should talk to my missus. As far as she's concerned, *all*
paintbrushes are disposable... "life's too short for cleaning bloody
paintbrushes". Hence I stopped buying decent brushes

I sometimes don't wash them if I've used paint that needs white spirit to clean them. The brush is often cheaper than the white spirit.

--
I was doing some remolishments to my house the other day and accidentally defurbished it.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Rod Speed" wrote:

Never said that.

Well, yes you did,

Say he carefully deleting from the quoting what I actually said.

Proving to the world that you always have been a pathological liar.

Very odd.

"Because you get a better brush..."
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mr Pounder wrote:
"Major Scott" wrote in message
news
Just bought some disposable paintbrushes. Why are they disposable? They
look like any other paintbrush to me. I fully intend to clean them and
reuse them!

Pikey.
When the black bristles fall out on to your nice white paint you will be
very upset.
I was.
But then again, I have very high standards. You are a peasant.

My experience is that the bristles fall out on first use but dont as
much after reuse.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Rod Speed" wrote:

Never said that.

Well, yes you did,

Say he carefully deleting from the quoting what I actually said.

Proving to the world that you always have been a pathological liar.

Very odd.

"Because you get a better brush..."

Which has nothing to do with his lie that I said anything about washing it.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Rod Speed" wrote:

Never said that.

Well, yes you did,

Say he carefully deleting from the quoting what I actually said.

Proving to the world that you always have been a pathological liar.

Very odd.

"Because you get a better brush..."

Which has nothing to do with his lie that I said anything about washing
it.

Eh?

You deaf ?

At that price, what's the point of getting messy, not to mention
using up water or any other cleaning material?

Because you get a better brush that's easier to use to paint with.

That's not me saying a damned thing about washing it.

It's the reason for using a non disposable brush, stupid.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Rod Speed" wrote:

Never said that.

Well, yes you did,

Say he carefully deleting from the quoting what I actually said.

Proving to the world that you always have been a pathological liar.

Very odd.

"Because you get a better brush..."

Which has nothing to do with his lie that I said anything about
washing it.

Eh?

You deaf ?

At that price, what's the point of getting messy, not to mention
using up water or any other cleaning material?

Because you get a better brush that's easier to use to paint with.

That's not me saying a damned thing about washing it.

It's the reason for using a non disposable brush, stupid.

The OP asked:
"what's the point of getting messy...?" (i.e. by washing the brush)
You answered:
"Because you get a better brush..."

You've been calling people liars, deaf, stupid...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Rod Speed" wrote:

[...]

Because you get a better brush when its not a disposable, ****wit.

You've been calling people liars, deaf, stupid...

I call a spade a spade and a terminal ****wit a terminal ****wit, terminal
****wit.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Well normally they are disposable as after a while they start leaving their
hairy bits in the paint.
Brian

Email:

"Major Scott" wrote in message
news
Just bought some disposable paintbrushes. Why are they disposable? They
look like any other paintbrush to me. I fully intend to clean them and
reuse them!

--
Using Opera's revolutionary email client:
http://www.opera.com/mail/

Posted to uk.d-i-y

No as I say, its more like they gradually moult.
I had one once where the metal bit was actually made of some kind of
plastic. Note never use certain types of thinners to slean them. Glpoop.
Brian

Email:

"Nightjar" wrote in message
On 06/03/2013 17:56, Major Scott wrote:
Just bought some disposable paintbrushes. Why are they disposable?
They look like any other paintbrush to me. I fully intend to clean them
and reuse them!

This paintbrush will self-destruct in five seconds. FX smoke starts
coming out of the brush

Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, March 6, 2013 5:56:59 PM UTC, Major Scott wrote:

Just bought some disposable paintbrushes. Why are they disposable? They look like any other paintbrush to me. I fully intend to clean them and reuse them!

Before first use, grip the bristles moderately firmly and pull. Repeat. This removes at least some loose ones.

If they use epoxy, they can't be using enough of it

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On 06/03/2013 17:56, Major Scott wrote:
Just bought some disposable paintbrushes. Why are they disposable?
They look like any other paintbrush to me. I fully intend to clean them
and reuse them!

That's when you will find out why they are called disposable
paintbrushes.

The epoxy is solvent proof, allegedly.

Are you that guy that hates bicycles? :-)

Nope. I'm the guy that hates cyclists.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mar 6, 5:56*pm, "Major Scott" wrote:
Just bought some disposable paintbrushes. *Why are they disposable? *They look like any other paintbrush to me. *I fully intend to clean them and reuse them!

--
Using Opera's revolutionary email client:http://www.opera.com/mail/

Promoted yourself I see.

The hairs soon start to come out and it's a bloody nuisance picking
them off the wet paint.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mar 6, 11:11*pm, Lobster wrote:
On 06/03/2013 17:56, Major Scott wrote:

Just bought some disposable paintbrushes. *Why are they disposable?
They look like any other paintbrush to me. *I fully intend to clean them
and reuse them!

Hmm, you should talk to my missus. As far as she's concerned, *all*
paintbrushes are disposable... "life's too short for cleaning bloody
paintbrushes".

^^^This.

My method of cleaning brushes:

1. Wipe off excess paint.
2. Put brush in suitable receptacle and fill with white spirit or
brush cleaner.
3. Agitate thoroughly.
4. Put receptacle in shed or garage.
5. After appropriate period of time throw congealed mess in bin.
6. Buy new brushes.
7. Repeat as necessary.

--
Halmyre
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 7/03/2013 5:45 p.m., Rod Speed wrote:

[...]

So that's what you were thinking, but not what you wrote. Hence the
original query from Bert. Resorting to insults doesn't change this.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Gib Bogle" wrote in message
[...]

Everyone can see for themselves that you are lying.

That is PRECISELY what I wrote, ****wit.

Hence the original query from Bert. Resorting to insults doesn't change
this.

Taint an insult, it's a statement of fact, ****wit.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Rod Speed" wrote in message ...

"Gib Bogle" wrote in message
[...]

....and Rod stood alone in the room. Not understanding even his own demented
thoughts... hurling insults and abusing himself.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Richard,

I'm grateful to you and others for your messages. Since any form of
rational, not to mention polite, discussion with him is clearly impossible,
I've now taken the advice posted several times here in the past and
killfiled Mr Speed.

Bert

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, March 7, 2013 1:21:48 AM UTC, F Murtz wrote:
Mr Pounder wrote:

snip
When the black bristles fall out on to your nice white paint you will be
very upset.
I was.
But then again, I have very high standards. You are a peasant.

My experience is that the bristles fall out on first use but dont as
much after reuse.

That's what I find - hence the recommendation I've seen in some places to use new brushes for undercoating first and keep the older brushes for finish coat.
If you're doing that you want brushes which don't wear out too soon.
The other problem with cheap brushes is that they just don't have as many bristles as higher spec ones, which makes getting a good finish more difficult.
Incidentally I've noticed that most of the bristles which fall out seem to be shorter than those which are left, which suggested to me that they were never long enough to get coated in the epoxy, and were just held in by friction.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 07 Mar 2013 00:57:10 -0800, Halmyre wrote:

My method of cleaning brushes:

So I'm not the only one who suffers from this solution. :-))

--
/\/\aurice
(Retired in Surrey, UK)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 07 Mar 2013 01:21:48 -0000, F Murtz wrote:

Mr Pounder wrote:
"Major Scott" wrote in message
news
Just bought some disposable paintbrushes. Why are they disposable? They
look like any other paintbrush to me. I fully intend to clean them and
reuse them!

Pikey.
When the black bristles fall out on to your nice white paint you will be
very upset.
I was.
But then again, I have very high standards. You are a peasant.

My experience is that the bristles fall out on first use but dont as
much after reuse.

I don't think we're supposed to know this. It ruins their profit margins.

--
A female friend of mine was admitted to a private hospital to try to
lose weight. Naturally I sent her flowers.

I received a "thank-you" note several days later; it said, "Thanks for
the flowers, they were delicious!"