Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default "Disposable" paintbrush

On Thu, 07 Mar 2013 08:57:10 -0000, Halmyre wrote:

On Mar 6, 11:11 pm, Lobster wrote:
On 06/03/2013 17:56, Major Scott wrote:

Just bought some disposable paintbrushes. Why are they disposable?
They look like any other paintbrush to me. I fully intend to clean them
and reuse them!

Hmm, you should talk to my missus. As far as she's concerned, *all*
paintbrushes are disposable... "life's too short for cleaning bloody
paintbrushes".

^^^This.

My method of cleaning brushes:

1. Wipe off excess paint.
2. Put brush in suitable receptacle and fill with white spirit or
brush cleaner.
3. Agitate thoroughly.
4. Put receptacle in shed or garage.
5. After appropriate period of time throw congealed mess in bin.
6. Buy new brushes.
7. Repeat as necessary.

Don't clean a roller by directing a shower (or worse a karcher) at it. More things become dirty.

--
Peter is listening to "Fredzefred - All da Motha ****as"
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 07 Mar 2013 06:21:58 -0000, Brian Gaff wrote:

No as I say, its more like they gradually moult.
I had one once where the metal bit was actually made of some kind of
plastic. Note never use certain types of thinners to slean them. Glpoop.
Brian

That would annoy me immensely. I use a clip on magnet on my paintpot to hold the brush so it drips back into the pot.

--
Why do tourists go to the top of tall buildings and then put money in telescopes so they can see things on the ground in close-up?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 07 Mar 2013 06:52:17 -0000, wrote:

On Wednesday, March 6, 2013 5:56:59 PM UTC, Major Scott wrote:

Just bought some disposable paintbrushes. Why are they disposable? They look like any other paintbrush to me. I fully intend to clean them and reuse them!

Before first use, grip the bristles moderately firmly and pull. Repeat. This removes at least some loose ones.

Good idea.

--
Dijon vu: the same mustard as before.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 07 Mar 2013 07:42:54 -0000, The Medway Handyman wrote:

On 06/03/2013 19:08, Major Scott wrote:
On Wed, 06 Mar 2013 18:50:00 -0000, The Medway Handyman
wrote:

On 06/03/2013 17:56, Major Scott wrote:
Just bought some disposable paintbrushes. Why are they disposable?
They look like any other paintbrush to me. I fully intend to clean them
and reuse them!

That's when you will find out why they are called disposable
paintbrushes.

The epoxy is solvent proof, allegedly.

Are you that guy that hates bicycles? :-)

Nope. I'm the guy that hates cyclists.

Why would you like bicycles if you don't like cyclists? Bicycles are pointless if nobody gets on them.

I'm what I call a "normal cyclist", I don't wear lycra, I don't wear a helmet, I don't wear hi-vis clothing, and I don't take up a whole lane. I just look like a pedestrian on wheels.

--
Dijon vu: the same mustard as before.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 07 Mar 2013 08:17:33 -0000, harry wrote:

On Mar 6, 5:56 pm, "Major Scott" wrote:
Just bought some disposable paintbrushes. Why are they disposable? They look like any other paintbrush to me. I fully intend to clean them and reuse them!

Promoted yourself I see.

No, I sucked the I mean sucked UP TO the boss.

Also, I tired of looking up how to spell Liuauetenant.

--
Save the whales. Collect the whole set.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On 06/03/2013 17:56, Major Scott wrote:
Just bought some disposable paintbrushes. Why are they disposable?
They look like any other paintbrush to me. I fully intend to clean
them
and reuse them!

That's when you will find out why they are called disposable
paintbrushes.

The epoxy is solvent proof, allegedly.

Are you that guy that hates bicycles? :-)

Nope. I'm the guy that hates cyclists.

Why would you like bicycles if you don't like cyclists? Bicycles are
pointless if nobody gets on them.

I don't like or dislike bicycles. I dislike the people who ride them.

I'm what I call a "normal cyclist", I don't wear lycra, I don't wear a
helmet, I don't wear hi-vis clothing, and I don't take up a whole lane.
I just look like a pedestrian on wheels.

No such thing as a 'normal' cyclist.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On 06/03/2013 17:56, Major Scott wrote:

That's when you will find out why they are called disposable
paintbrushes.

The epoxy is solvent proof, allegedly.

Are you that guy that hates bicycles? :-)

Nope. I'm the guy that hates cyclists.

Why would you like bicycles if you don't like cyclists? Bicycles are
pointless if nobody gets on them.

I don't like or dislike bicycles. I dislike the people who ride them.

So what purpose would you have a bicycle serve if it's not to carry a cyclist?

I'm what I call a "normal cyclist", I don't wear lycra, I don't wear a
helmet, I don't wear hi-vis clothing, and I don't take up a whole lane.
I just look like a pedestrian on wheels.

No such thing as a 'normal' cyclist.

I mean I behave like a pedestrian. I don't wear silly clothes or think I own the road.

--
"I went to a fight the other night and a hockey game broke out." -- Rodney Dangerfield.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Bert Coules" wrote in message
o.uk...
Richard,

I'm grateful to you and others for your messages. Since any form of
rational, not to mention polite, discussion with him is clearly
impossible, I've now taken the advice posted several times here in the
past and killfiled Mr Speed.

Just like a little kid, when its got done like a dinner,
puts its fingers in its ears, closes its eyes and chants
'nya, nya, can't hear ya'

Killfiles do actually work without announcing their contents, stupid.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message
Halmyre wrote:

[...]

If you use an expensive brush you would be able to use mineral Naphtha
or as an alternative cellulose thinners, both these solvents will draw
out the paint from the stock leaving it clean, turps won't do this hence
the solidification of old paint in the brush.

However there is absolutely no point trying this on a disposable brush
as it would not survive being cleaned in either solvent.

--
http://coachpainting.info/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message . com
F Murtz wrote:

Mr Pounder wrote:
"Major Scott" wrote in message
news
Just bought some disposable paintbrushes. Why are they disposable? They
look like any other paintbrush to me. I fully intend to clean them and
reuse them!

Pikey.
When the black bristles fall out on to your nice white paint you will be
very upset.
I was.
But then again, I have very high standards. You are a peasant.

My experience is that the bristles fall out on first use but dont as
much after reuse.

Bristles will fall out on first use even on an expensive brush which is
why a decent brush needs the initial braking-in period usually performed
on non quality work.

--
http://coachpainting.info

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 07 Mar 2013 18:42:11 -0000, wrote:

In message
Halmyre wrote:

[...]

I don't think they make much paint that doesn't come out with detergent any more.

--
I never would have married you if I knew how stupid you were!" shouted the woman to her husband.
The husband replied, "You should've known how stupid I was the minute I asked you to marry me!"
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Maurice Batey writes:

On Thu, 07 Mar 2013 00:57:10 -0800, Halmyre wrote:

My method of cleaning brushes:

So I'm not the only one who suffers from this solution. :-))

Seriously? Cleaning a brush with white spirit is even easier than with
water. What are you guys doing that makes it such a chore?

I understand doing this for Hammerite where you would otherwise need
special thinners, or for applying nasty chemicals, but not for
solvent-based paints. It negates their main advantage which is superior
finish.

Alex

--
Swish - Easy SFTP for Windows Explorer (http://www.swish-sftp.org)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 07 Mar 2013 23:42:14 +0000, Alexander Lamaison
wrote:

Maurice Batey writes:

On Thu, 07 Mar 2013 00:57:10 -0800, Halmyre wrote:

My method of cleaning brushes:

So I'm not the only one who suffers from this solution. :-))

Seriously? Cleaning a brush with white spirit is even easier than with
water. What are you guys doing that makes it such a chore?

How do you then dispose of the contaminated "white spirit"?

I know that at one time we would just pour it down the kitchen sink...

Many years ago Dad would leave a paintbrush in an old jam jar of white
spirit or turps for years until it just dried out and the whole lot
had to be chucked away... :-)

Wasn't it "Polyclens" that was supposed to rejuvenate even rock-hard
paintbrushes? Not cellulose-type stuff though, ISTR.

I understand doing this for Hammerite where you would otherwise need
special thinners, or for applying nasty chemicals, but not for
solvent-based paints. It negates their main advantage which is superior
finish.

I've successfully cleaned Hammerite-infested brushes with MIBK, but it
isn't a perfect solvent for that purpose. Again, disposal is a bit of
a problem. The best idea for volatile solvents is to just let 'em
disperse into the atmosphere, then put the crud (and possibly the
brush!) into the wheelie-bin.

IMHO stuff like Hammerite is used for fairly rough type work such as
garden gates, where a couple of bristles don't _really_ matter all
that much.

--
Frank Erskine
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Maurice Batey writes:

On Thu, 07 Mar 2013 00:57:10 -0800, Halmyre wrote:

My method of cleaning brushes:

So I'm not the only one who suffers from this solution. :-))

Seriously? Cleaning a brush with white spirit is even easier than with
water. What are you guys doing that makes it such a chore?

How do you then dispose of the contaminated "white spirit"?

Don't. Use two bottles of similar size. One with your clean white
spirit in, the other to store the used remants. Eventually you will
notice that the murky liquid in the second bottle has
separated. The stuff on top is fairly clean white spirit. Once you run
out of spirit in the clean bottle, pour the top layer from the second
bottle into it. Start all over again.

Eventually your second bottle will get too full of sludge at which point
you can just bin it and start with a new empty bottle.

Many years ago Dad would leave a paintbrush in an old jam jar of white
spirit or turps for years until it just dried out and the whole lot
had to be chucked away... :-)

Never leave a brush in a container, even just overnight. It splays the
bristles, making it useless for painting. The exception is if you drill
a hole through the brush and suspend the brush in the jar using a rod.
This way the tip of the brush isn't pressing on anything.

Alex

--
Swish - Easy SFTP for Windows Explorer (http://www.swish-sftp.org)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,

[Snip]

Never leave a brush in a container, even just overnight. It splays the
bristles, making it useless for painting. The exception is if you drill
a hole through the brush and suspend the brush in the jar using a rod.
This way the tip of the brush isn't pressing on anything.

at one time, the better brushes used to have this hole in the when you
bought them.

--
From KT24

Using a RISC OS computer running v5.18

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Major Scott" wrote in message
news
On Wed, 06 Mar 2013 18:43:21 -0000, John Rumm
wrote:

On 06/03/2013 17:56, Major Scott wrote:
Just bought some disposable paintbrushes. Why are they disposable?
They look like any other paintbrush to me. I fully intend to clean them
and reuse them!

Because after you have picked the 30th bristle out of your previously
nice paint finish, you hurl it across the room!

I see. Although it does sate the bristles are firmly fixed with solvent
proof epoxy......

but it doeasn say

"*all* bristles are firmly fixed ..."

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On 06/03/2013 17:56, Major Scott wrote:
Just bought some disposable paintbrushes. Why are they disposable?
They look like any other paintbrush to me. I fully intend to clean them
and reuse them!

Because after you have picked the 30th bristle out of your previously
nice paint finish, you hurl it across the room!

I see. Although it does sate the bristles are firmly fixed with solvent
proof epoxy......

but it doeasn say

"*all* bristles are firmly fixed ..."

What are you, a lawyer?

--
What is the difference between a 69 and driving in the fog?
When driving in the fog, you can't see the asshole in front of you.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/03/2013 08:57, Halmyre wrote:
On Mar 6, 11:11 pm, Lobster wrote:
On 06/03/2013 17:56, Major Scott wrote:

Just bought some disposable paintbrushes. Why are they disposable?
They look like any other paintbrush to me. I fully intend to clean them
and reuse them!

Hmm, you should talk to my missus. As far as she's concerned, *all*
paintbrushes are disposable... "life's too short for cleaning bloody
paintbrushes".

^^^This.

My method of cleaning brushes:

1. Wipe off excess paint.
2. Put brush in suitable receptacle and fill with white spirit or
brush cleaner.
3. Agitate thoroughly.
4. Put receptacle in shed or garage.
5. After appropriate period of time throw congealed mess in bin.
6. Buy new brushes.
7. Repeat as necessary.

That seems disturbingly familiar ;-)

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Maurice Batey writes:

On Thu, 07 Mar 2013 00:57:10 -0800, Halmyre wrote:

My method of cleaning brushes:

So I'm not the only one who suffers from this solution. :-))

Seriously? Cleaning a brush with white spirit is even easier than with
water. What are you guys doing that makes it such a chore?

How do you then dispose of the contaminated "white spirit"?

I find if you leave it to settle for a few days you can often pour the
now clear spirit off the top and back into the bottle, then discard the
sludge left at the bottom of the jar.

--
Cheers,

John.