Posted to uk.d-i-y
ss ss is offline

Default Outdoor lights

Just been reading previous posts re outdoor lights and whether halogen
or whatever, is there any reason why I cant (or shouldnt) use and
outdoor fitting with normal (household type) bulbs in them I just want a
bit of light but nothing powerful as its a smallish garden.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
ss wrote:
Just been reading previous posts re outdoor lights and whether halogen
or whatever, is there any reason why I cant (or shouldnt) use and
outdoor fitting with normal (household type) bulbs in them I just want a
bit of light but nothing powerful as its a smallish garden.

conventional bulbs don't seem to last very long in a waterproof fitting.
Probably because of overheating. I have a ftting which loks like a halogen
flood, but is really a coiled fluorescent tube. It lights my drive
perfectly.

--
From KT24

Using a RISC OS computer running v5.18

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/03/2013 19:38, ss wrote:
Just been reading previous posts re outdoor lights and whether halogen
or whatever, is there any reason why I cant (or shouldnt) use and
outdoor fitting with normal (household type) bulbs in them I just want a
bit of light but nothing powerful as its a smallish garden.

My outside lights all use low wattage CFLs and have done for the past 15
years. 7W goes a long way at night. The only thing to watch is that, if
you use an automatic switch, it is compatible with them.

Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, March 2, 2013 7:38:36 PM UTC, ss wrote:

Just been reading previous posts re outdoor lights and whether halogen
or whatever, is there any reason why I cant (or shouldnt) use and
outdoor fitting with normal (household type) bulbs in them I just want a
bit of light but nothing powerful as its a smallish garden.

They work fine, though with a couple of downsides. First they cost more to run than cfl. Second when they blow, now and then they kill the triac in the PIR, more hassle & expense.

If you're switching a CFL frequently, best get an electrodeless one. Standard ones have short life worked like this. Also up the power to compensate for reduced output during cold.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 02 Mar 2013 19:47:40 +0000 (GMT), charles wrote:

conventional bulbs don't seem to last very long in a waterproof
fitting. Probably because of overheating.

I've found the opposite. The bulkhead fittings here with GLS bulbs in
just work.

I have a ftting which loks like a halogen flood, but is really a coiled
fluorescent tube.

Where as the ones with CFLs in don't last anything like as along. The big
problem with CFLs outside is that they don't like the cold and are
seriously dim until warmed up. Then, being in a waterproof fitting, cook
the electronics so fail quicker...

I'm looking hard at the 10 W IP65 LED luminairs you can get for £20.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/03/13 00:54, Dave Liquorice wrote:
they don't like the cold and are
seriously dim until warmed up.

Are we still talking about bulbs...

Reminds me of one of my nieces.

--
Ineptocracy

diminishing number of producers.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 03 Mar 2013 00:54:26 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Liquorice"
wrote:

On Sat, 02 Mar 2013 19:47:40 +0000 (GMT), charles wrote:

conventional bulbs don't seem to last very long in a waterproof
fitting. Probably because of overheating.

I've found the opposite. The bulkhead fittings here with GLS bulbs in
just work.

I have a ftting which loks like a halogen flood, but is really a coiled
fluorescent tube.

Where as the ones with CFLs in don't last anything like as along. The big
problem with CFLs outside is that they don't like the cold and are
seriously dim until warmed up. Then, being in a waterproof fitting, cook
the electronics so fail quicker...

I'm looking hard at the 10 W IP65 LED luminairs you can get for £20.

Waterproof doesn't necessarily mean airtight. I have three glass and
metal coach lamp style fittings outside, with CFLs installed base
down. They are they have outlasted any bulbs in the house.
The cold start brightness is not to bad either (spiral form-factor
Tesco branded) I think some manufacturers are too stingy with the Hg.

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 03 Mar 2013 00:54:26 +0000 (GMT), Dave Liquorice wrote:

On Sat, 02 Mar 2013 19:47:40 +0000 (GMT), charles wrote:

conventional bulbs don't seem to last very long in a waterproof
fitting. Probably because of overheating.

I've found the opposite. The bulkhead fittings here with GLS bulbs in
just work.

Same here. The fitting is about 60 years old and the bulb about 45! It does,
unless I forget to switch it off, spend about 10 mins. p.a. on, so that
gives it a few millenia yet.

I have a ftting which loks like a halogen flood, but is really a coiled
fluorescent tube.

Where as the ones with CFLs in don't last anything like as along. The big
problem with CFLs outside is that they don't like the cold and are
seriously dim until warmed up. Then, being in a waterproof fitting, cook
the electronics so fail quicker...

I'm looking hard at the 10 W IP65 LED luminairs you can get for £20.

Last year I got the CFL flood from Lidl. It has a 22 or 23W lamp that seems
to be about 6000K CT and comes on immediately and brightly. I was surprised
at the area that gets adequate illumination.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
Posted to uk.d-i-y

You put your nice in a waterproof lamp fitting?

Brian

--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
On 03/03/13 00:54, Dave Liquorice wrote:
they don't like the cold and are
seriously dim until warmed up.

Are we still talking about bulbs...

Reminds me of one of my nieces.

--
Ineptocracy

lead are elected by the least capable of producing, and where the members
of society least likely to sustain themselves or succeed, are rewarded
with goods and services paid for by the confiscated wealth of a
diminishing number of producers.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 03 Mar 2013 01:41:05 +0000, Graham. wrote:

Waterproof doesn't necessarily mean airtight.

True enough but there isn't much ventilation in a fitting with better
than IP44... (which is anythig but waterproof)

I have three glass and metal coach lamp style fittings outside, with
CFLs installed base down.

Plenty of space inside for air to circulate and large surafce area to
disipate it from. A bulkhead that will just take a GLS bulb isn't quite
the same.

The cold start brightness is not to bad either (spiral form-factor
Tesco branded)

There is cold and cold I'm talking around freezing or below. It's been
that sort of temperature in the evenings for at least the last fortnight.
The 21st and 22nd Feb were ice days.

--
Cheers
Dave.