Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Outdoor recessed lights

I have a soffit that overhangs about five feet beneath the exterior wall.
The soffit is lined with T4 wood panels. There are recessed light every
five feet or so along the soffit around the inside and outside perimeter.
These are very old lights (30 years) and in bad shape. I am wondering since
these are outdoor lights and may be subjected to the elements (driving
rain), should they be recessed lights rated for wet locations, or they can
be normal lights since they are on the underside?

The cut out holes are 7" in diameter, I did a quick search and it seems 7"
housings are very rare. Anyone know of a good source?

Thanks,

MC

Posted to alt.home.repair

"MiamiCuse" wrote in message
I have a soffit that overhangs about five feet beneath the exterior wall.
The soffit is lined with T4 wood panels. There are recessed light every
five feet or so along the soffit around the inside and outside perimeter.
These are very old lights (30 years) and in bad shape. I am wondering
since these are outdoor lights and may be subjected to the elements
(driving rain), should they be recessed lights rated for wet locations, or
they can be normal lights since they are on the underside?

The cut out holes are 7" in diameter, I did a quick search and it seems 7"
housings are very rare. Anyone know of a good source?

Thanks,

MC

Pull a trim down and see which manufacturer you have. Find whatever
replacement trim they make for "Damp locations" that fit in that frame

recessed lights cc Home Repair 4 January 6th 07 11:24 PM
Running outdoor Christmas lights without an outdoor outlet PM Home Repair 5 December 17th 06 04:12 AM
Running outdoor Christmas lights without an outdoor outlet PM Home Ownership 2 December 16th 06 11:56 PM
Recessed Lights to Pendant Lights Jim Jacobs Home Repair 3 April 15th 06 10:18 PM
Recessed Lights a12vman Home Repair 3 March 25th 05 10:29 PM