Posted to alt.home.repair
Spam Me Knot

Default Lubricant for outdoor lights

Is dielectric grease suitable to use to lubricate the threads of outdoor
lights to keep them from crudding up and being hard to unscrew?

thx - jim
Posted to alt.home.repair
m Ransley

Dialectric grease should work but if it cruds up water is getting in
from the top, use sicilone caulk to seal the fittings.

Posted to alt.home.repair

High humidity over an extended time will produce corrosion.
This from direct personal experience.
TB

Posted to alt.home.repair
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

Spam Me Knot wrote:
Is dielectric grease suitable to use to lubricate the threads of outdoor
lights to keep them from crudding up and being hard to unscrew?

This is the stuff you want. I used to sometimes break bulbs trying to uncrew
them because of the threads adhering. I bought some of this stuff earlier this
year after reading a thread about it and haven't had any difficulty getting a
bulb out since. BTW: a little goes a looooong way. I bought two little tubs
initially but now know one will probably last me for a lifetime.

http://lampsplus.com/Products/Light-Bulbs/page_12/03877

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

VE

Posted to alt.home.repair
g.a.miller

On Mon, 19 Dec 2005 12:42:01 GMT, Spam Me Knot
wrote:

Is dielectric grease suitable to use to lubricate the threads of outdoor
lights to keep them from crudding up and being hard to unscrew?

thx - jim

Yes it is
Anthony

at http://www.TitanNews.com

Posted to alt.home.repair
tbl

wrote:

Is dielectric grease suitable to use to lubricate the threads of outdoor
lights to keep them from crudding up and being hard to unscrew?

Sounds like a good idea to me... and on *any* screw in bulb
that has aluminum threads, not just outdoor.

I've been using an unidentified, black anti-sieze grease
(origin, I can't remember) for this for some years. I
should get something else, as I think this stuff contains
lead, but it sure works well.

Just make sure to use grease *very* sparingly in this
situation, and like another poster said, there might be an
aberant moisture/leakage problem that should be fixed.

Just my two cents.
--
tbl
Posted to alt.home.repair
Stubby

wrote:

Is dielectric grease suitable to use to lubricate the threads of outdoor
lights to keep them from crudding up and being hard to unscrew?

Sounds like a good idea to me... and on *any* screw in bulb
that has aluminum threads, not just outdoor.

I've been using an unidentified, black anti-sieze grease
(origin, I can't remember) for this for some years. I
should get something else, as I think this stuff contains
lead, but it sure works well.

Just make sure to use grease *very* sparingly in this
situation, and like another poster said, there might be an
aberant moisture/leakage problem that should be fixed.

Years ago we used to use Vaseline.
Posted to alt.home.repair
tbl

On Sun, 15 Jan 2006 15:22:20 -0500, Stubby
wrote:

Years ago we used to use Vaseline.

Shudder!
--
tbl
Posted to alt.home.repair
Stubby

wrote:

Years ago we used to use Vaseline.

Shudder!

Why? It works fine. No stck bulbs in over 50 years.
Posted to alt.home.repair
tbl

wrote:

Years ago we used to use Vaseline.

Shudder!

Why? It works fine. No stck bulbs in over 50 years.

Melting point. Can't remember off-hand what it is, but I
*do* remember that I often eat food that's hotter.
--
tbl

Lubricant David Metalworking 20 December 20th 05 06:29 AM
ball-type faucet repair and silicone lubricant Scot Home Repair 4 December 12th 05 07:55 PM
identifying lubricant Allan Adler Metalworking 2 November 26th 04 12:50 PM
Keyboard lubricant? Bill Harris Electronics Repair 12 August 25th 04 02:45 AM
Rotary tool (Dremel) flex-shaft lubricant? John Doe Metalworking 7 November 11th 03 02:11 AM