Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Ping Nightjar ~ Pulse Oximeter

I've been recommended by a denizen of another ng to contact you regarding
this quest.
I want to purchase a Pulse Oximeter as a gift to the home nursing service
that looked after my mum so diligently in her last few months.
I know nothing of such things and googling has left me quite bewildered.
Any suggestions on make/model/supplier would be greatly appreciated.
Also, I would appreciate input from any other readers of this message.
Many thanks,
Nick.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/03/2013 16:19, Nick wrote:
I've been recommended by a denizen of another ng to contact you regarding
this quest.
I want to purchase a Pulse Oximeter as a gift to the home nursing service
that looked after my mum so diligently in her last few months.
I know nothing of such things and googling has left me quite bewildered.
Any suggestions on make/model/supplier would be greatly appreciated.
Also, I would appreciate input from any other readers of this message.
Many thanks,
Nick.

Unfortunately, non-invasive therapy was never part of my area of
expertise. If you wanted to buy something for sticking into of people, I
might be better placed to help :-)

As you say, there is a bewildering range of products, as well as prices.
I think your best option is to speak to the home nursing service, tell
them what you would like to do and, optionally, how much you would like
to pay, and ask them which they would prefer. There may be factors such
as the degree of accuracy or whether the device has a memory function
that are important, or possibly are quite irrelevant, to the way they
use them. They will know that, while we can only guess.

Regards

Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Nick" wrote in message ...

I've been recommended by a denizen of another ng to contact you regarding
this quest.
I want to purchase a Pulse Oximeter as a gift to the home nursing service
that looked after my mum so diligently in her last few months.
I know nothing of such things and googling has left me quite bewildered.
Any suggestions on make/model/supplier would be greatly appreciated.

..
Also, I would appreciate input from any other readers of this message.
Many thanks,
Nick.

We currently have a pair (*) of Nonin pulse oximeters - a bedside 9600 (**)
and a portable 8500 (***) of the two we mostly use the bedside one as this
is portable (it has rechargeable batteries for use away from the bedroom)
but it enables us to monitor over a period without eating batteries. These
were a lot more expensive than the cheap units that are available on Amazon
but we needed something that we could rely on to be accurate. The two units
do match each other but as we haven't had them calibrated recently it is
possible that both are wrong :-)

The sensors can be very expensive (£100+ each) so it may be best to check
that whichever unit you buy is compatible with any unit the nursing service
already uses.

Hope this helps

(*) Bought from
http://www.medisave.co.uk/diagnostic...-oximetry.html
(**) http://www.nonin.com/PulseOximetry/Tabletop/Avant9600
(***) http://www.nonin.com/PulseOximetry/Handheld/Model8500

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/03/2013 16:19, Nick wrote:
I've been recommended by a denizen of another ng to contact you regarding
this quest.
I want to purchase a Pulse Oximeter as a gift to the home nursing service
that looked after my mum so diligently in her last few months.
I know nothing of such things and googling has left me quite bewildered.
Any suggestions on make/model/supplier would be greatly appreciated.
Also, I would appreciate input from any other readers of this message.
Many thanks,
Nick.

I have seen a lot of positive reports about this one - including from
genuine nursing staff who use them regularly:

Finger Pulse Oximeter SM-110 with Carry Case and Neck/Wrist Cord by
Santamedical

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B003TJH3LI

Unfortunately, UK Amazon seem not to have them available at present.
Might well be available from elsewhere - price was around £22.

I do not have personal experience.

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 2 Mar 2013 16:19:01 -0000, "Nick" wrote:

I've been recommended by a denizen of another ng to contact you regarding
this quest.
I want to purchase a Pulse Oximeter as a gift to the home nursing service
that looked after my mum so diligently in her last few months.
I know nothing of such things and googling has left me quite bewildered.
Any suggestions on make/model/supplier would be greatly appreciated.
Also, I would appreciate input from any other readers of this message.
Many thanks,

We bought this £30 one from Ana-Wiz last year, excellent service and good price, and they
still have it on their site http://www.anawiz.com/acatalog/Finge...Oximeters.html

--
Phil Addison

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mar 2, 4:19*pm, "Nick" wrote:
I've been recommended by a denizen of another ng to contact you regarding
this quest.
I want to purchase a Pulse Oximeter as a gift to the home nursing service
that looked after my mum so diligently in her last few months.
I know nothing of such things and googling has left me quite bewildered.
Any suggestions on make/model/supplier would be greatly appreciated.
Also, I would appreciate input from any other readers of this message.
Many thanks,
Nick.

The best thing is to give them the money and they can buy something
they need rather than possibly lumbering them with some bit of kit
that's of no use to them.

Seen it often before. Useless gifts just chucked in a cellar
somewhere.