Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Diesel odour

Anyone got a sure fire way of removing diesel odour. Some how or other I have a diesel smell in a small compartment in the boot of my car. I've been leaving that compartment open, and when possible the boot lid as well, for over 2 weeks now and while it may have improved slightly its still there.

I'd like to hear from those with actual experience if possible.

Yes it is a diesel car.

It is only 8 months old.

No I didn't spill diesel while re-fuelling.

I usually carry two large bath towels that SWMBO has rejected in the boot. They are handy for stopping loose tools rattling around and also if I have to change a wheel, which at may age is a hands and knees job. I did have one rolled up and stowed in that small compartment in the boot floor. I can only imagine it had got tainted with diesel at some time or other.

Both towels have been banished.

Its driving me potty. One of the reasons I rejected diesel cars for years was because of the smell of the bloody stuff. Now diesel cars are ubiquitous..

Paul Mc Cann
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/03/13 12:09, fred wrote:

[...]

Time is all you can use here.

It goes eventually.

--
Ineptocracy

diminishing number of producers.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Natural Philosopher wrote:
On 02/03/13 12:09, fred wrote:

[...]

I've found a squirt to two of Febreeze miraculously effective eg on the
upholstery of an inherited chair from a heavy smoking relative.
It manages to work without masking the smell with an almost equally
repugnant pong of flowers that other 'fresheners' do.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Yes that sort of oil does not evaporate like Petrol. If there are any joins
or gaps in the construction or foam padded bits, or locks with voids inside
it will linger for ever. I remember a neighbour having this issue with a
diesel Motor caravan once. I think it got under some of the wooden internal
bits and pieces.Sometimes one can cover it up with a smelly substance which
is not as annoying like shoving one of those car fresheners near the
apparent source of the pong. Incidentally when I was younger we had a motor
caravan, it was petrol but we had a chemical toilet and although we always
emptied it and never spilled it in the wagon, one could still smell it.
Brian

--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
On 02/03/13 12:09, fred wrote:

[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 2 Mar 2013 04:09:03 -0800 (PST), fred
wrote:

Anyone got a sure fire way of removing diesel odour. Some how or other I have a diesel smell in a small compartment in the boot of my car.

Get some cat litter made from Fullers Earth, the gray heavy stuff.
Spread in the affected compartment, leave 24 hours and Hoover up.
Repeat if necessary. When you have got rid of most of the smell
Febreze will kill the rest.

Fullers earth is a clay and a strong absorbent which will absorb any
diesel remnants in the compartment. Febreeze uses Hydroxypropyl
beta-cyclodextrin derived from corn starch and claim it captures odour
molecules. It is an odour eliminator rather than a product which
mask one noisome odour with another.

Note that you shouldn't use Fullers Earth in wet locations unless you
like a sticky adhesive wet clay surface.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

No I didn't spill diesel while re-fuelling

Check that the connection from the tank to the filler cap is not
leaking a small quantity of diesel when you fill up.

Some of those joins have weird heath robinson type connection and can
leak.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

No I didn't spill diesel while re-fuelling

Check that the connection from the tank to the filler cap is not
leaking a small quantity of diesel when you fill up.

Some of those joins have weird heath robinson type connection and can
leak.

There may also be access to the top of the tank for removing the fuel
take off, level sender and pump (if it is an in-tank one). A leak around
there could be releasing an odour into the boot.

SteveW