Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default OK to use pebbles for hardcore?

Hi All
I have a small concreting job to do at some point - filling between some
concrete slabs which form a 'stepway' in our front garden. Parts of the
sides of the slabs etc. have disintegrated a bit. It's only going to need a
bucket or two of concrete.

I want to put some hardcore down underneath and have some 'drive pebbles' to
hand. Would these be suitable for use as hardcore? I realise it's an
expensive option, but it's cheaper/easier than actually getting some
hardcore.

I guess I'm wondering if the rounded nature of the pebbles may make them
unsuitable. Granted it's a fairly low-stress job though...

Thanks
J^n
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Night Tripper wrote:
Hi All
I have a small concreting job to do at some point - filling
between some concrete slabs which form a 'stepway' in our front
garden. Parts of the sides of the slabs etc. have disintegrated a
bit. It's only going to need a bucket or two of concrete.

I want to put some hardcore down underneath and have some 'drive
pebbles' to hand. Would these be suitable for use as hardcore? I
realise it's an expensive option, but it's cheaper/easier than
actually getting some hardcore.

I guess I'm wondering if the rounded nature of the pebbles may make
them unsuitable. Granted it's a fairly low-stress job though...

Thanks
J^n

Pebbles aren't suitable as hardcore as they don't pack down too well.
In this case, hardcore isn't required, just concrete the patch, making sure
it's at least 60mm deep and there's no vegetation or mud underneath.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Feb 9, 3:27*pm, The Night Tripper wrote:
Hi All
* * I have a small concreting job to do at some point - filling between some
concrete slabs which form a 'stepway' in our front garden. Parts of the
sides of the slabs etc. have disintegrated a bit. It's only going to need a
bucket or two of concrete.

I want to put some hardcore down underneath and have some 'drive pebbles' to
hand. Would these be suitable for use as hardcore? I realise it's an
expensive option, but it's cheaper/easier than actually getting some
hardcore.

I guess I'm wondering if the rounded nature of the pebbles may make them
unsuitable. Granted it's a fairly low-stress job though...

* * Thanks
* * J^n

Pebbles are OK.
They have the advantage that they don't "settle", they immediately go
into their minimum volume due to their shape.
So theoretically they don't need to be compacted.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday 09 February 2013 15:27 The Night Tripper wrote in uk.d-i-y:

Hi All
I have a small concreting job to do at some point - filling between
some
concrete slabs which form a 'stepway' in our front garden. Parts of the
sides of the slabs etc. have disintegrated a bit. It's only going to need
a bucket or two of concrete.

I want to put some hardcore down underneath and have some 'drive pebbles'
to hand. Would these be suitable for use as hardcore? I realise it's an
expensive option, but it's cheaper/easier than actually getting some
hardcore.

I guess I'm wondering if the rounded nature of the pebbles may make them
unsuitable. Granted it's a fairly low-stress job though...

Thanks
J^n

No.

They are round and will not lock - tending to move easily - the very quality
that you do not want in hardcore!

If you need more volume, have no hardcore to hand, you'd be better off using
the pebbles to make more concrete and laying that on the compacted earth.

--
Tim Watts Personal Blog: http://www.dionic.net/tim/

If you are reading this from a web interface eg DIY Banter,
DIY Forum or Google Groups, please be aware this is NOT a forum, and
you are merely using a web portal to a USENET group. Many people block
posters coming from web portals due to perceived SPAM or inaneness.
For a better method of access, please see:

"It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent
moral busybodies."

Algae on Gravel Pebbles Steve[_20_] UK diy 5 April 13th 10 03:34 PM
Granite + pebbles path Aaron Fude Home Repair 9 September 3rd 09 06:23 AM
Hardcore [email protected] Metalworking 0 November 22nd 07 02:17 AM
hardcore.. Paul Andrews UK diy 1 August 6th 05 05:37 PM
Washing builders pebbles Broadback UK diy 7 June 27th 05 09:53 AM