Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Algae on Gravel Pebbles

Hi,

I have an area of gravel path in the back garden which is shaded by a
couple of large conifers. Over the last year or so, the gravel pebbles
appear to be picking up a greenish tinge, presumably algae from the trees?

Is there anything I can use to return the pebbles to their original
colour, or is it a case of removing and replacing?

Thanks for reading.
Steve
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12 Apr, 19:20, Steve wrote:
Hi,

I have an area of gravel path in the back garden which is shaded by a
couple of large conifers. Over the last year or so, the gravel pebbles
appear to be picking up a greenish tinge, presumably algae from the trees?

Is there anything I can use to return the pebbles to their original
colour, or is it a case of removing and replacing?

Thanks for reading.
Steve

pump up garden sprayer with diluted bleach in?

probly mould growing on sap from the trees....

cheers
JimK
Posted to uk.d-i-y

JimK wrote:
On 12 Apr, 19:20, Steve wrote:
Hi,

I have an area of gravel path in the back garden which is shaded by a
couple of large conifers. Over the last year or so, the gravel
pebbles appear to be picking up a greenish tinge, presumably algae
from the trees?

Is there anything I can use to return the pebbles to their original
colour, or is it a case of removing and replacing?

Thanks for reading.
Steve

pump up garden sprayer with diluted bleach in?

That will do it.

probly mould growing on sap from the trees....

Nope, green therefore algae.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Owain wrote:

On 12 Apr, 19:20, Steve wrote:
Is there anything I can use to return the pebbles to their original
colour, or is it a case of removing and replacing?

Shovel them up and run them through the washing machine with some
bleach.

Then buy the Mrs a new washing machine and a big bunch of flowers?

Shame stonewashed jeans aren't popular now.

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Have dancing shoes, will ceilidh.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12 Apr, 19:20, Steve wrote:

Is there anything I can use to return the pebbles to their original
colour, or is it a case of removing and replacing?

Kill the algae, let the sun bleach it. Dead algae soon stops being so
green.

I'd spray it with Jeyes fluid as an algicide. Then maybe pressure wash
it a week later to encourage the algae to begone.