Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Dishwasher water supply - hot or cold?

New Bosch dishwasher which will take either cold or hot water supply.
Given that we have recently replaced the DHW system with a reasonable
WB CDi combi I take it that using the hot water supply will result in
improved efficiency/lower operating cost, or is that too simplistic?
--
rbel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 2 February 2013 18:00:42 UTC, rbel wrote:
New Bosch dishwasher which will take either cold or hot water supply.

Given that we have recently replaced the DHW system with a reasonable

WB CDi combi I take it that using the hot water supply will result in

improved efficiency/lower operating cost, or is that too simplistic?

--

rbel

It depends on the delay/length of pipe run present in your system. You could have a situation whereby the dishwasher is full before much if any heated water reaches it, in which case you'll be wasting gas heating water most of which won't get used.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Arty
Effem writes
On Saturday, 2 February 2013 18:00:42 UTC, rbel wrote:
New Bosch dishwasher which will take either cold or hot water supply.

Given that we have recently replaced the DHW system with a reasonable

WB CDi combi I take it that using the hot water supply will result in

improved efficiency/lower operating cost, or is that too simplistic?

--

rbel

It depends on the delay/length of pipe run present in your system. You
could have a situation whereby the dishwasher is full before much if
any heated water reaches it, in which case you'll be wasting gas
heating water most of which won't get used.

In terms of energy efficiency an electric water heater is best as very
little energy is wasted - only cable loss.
However to convert that to cost comparison is a little more difficult.
--
bert
Posted to uk.d-i-y

rbel wrote:

New Bosch dishwasher which will take either cold or hot water supply.
Given that we have recently replaced the DHW system with a reasonable
WB CDi combi I take it that using the hot water supply will result in
improved efficiency/lower operating cost, or is that too simplistic?

Cold every time, unless you have a free store of hot water.
As has been said, the length of run makes a difference, dishwashers use
maybe 3 litres of water, by the time the boiler has kicked in and got to
temperature, the washer may already be full, so you'll be paying to keep
the pipes warm.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"A.Lee" wrote in message
rbel wrote:

New Bosch dishwasher which will take either cold or hot water supply.
Given that we have recently replaced the DHW system with a reasonable
WB CDi combi I take it that using the hot water supply will result in
improved efficiency/lower operating cost, or is that too simplistic?

Cold every time, unless you have a free store of hot water.
As has been said, the length of run makes a difference, dishwashers use
maybe 3 litres of water, by the time the boiler has kicked in and got to
temperature, the washer may already be full, so you'll be paying to keep
the pipes warm.

+1
Also if you use hot water,it sets the food hard in many cases making
it harder to wash off,whereas cold water gradually heated removes food
better.
All the same applies to washing machines.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"harryagain" wrote in message

"A.Lee" wrote in message
rbel wrote:

New Bosch dishwasher which will take either cold or hot water supply.
Given that we have recently replaced the DHW system with a reasonable
WB CDi combi I take it that using the hot water supply will result in
improved efficiency/lower operating cost, or is that too simplistic?

Cold every time, unless you have a free store of hot water.
As has been said, the length of run makes a difference, dishwashers use
maybe 3 litres of water, by the time the boiler has kicked in and got to
temperature, the washer may already be full, so you'll be paying to keep
the pipes warm.

+1
Also if you use hot water,it sets the food hard in many cases

In some cases, actually, mostly with egg yokes.

making it harder to wash off,whereas cold water gradually heated removes
food better.

Particularly with the initial cold rinse that washes
the egg yokes away before heating the water.

Not sure that it needs to increase gradually.

All the same applies to washing machines.

Nope, there isnt much dirty clothes wise that benefits from that approach
and few washing machines have an initial cold water rinse for that reason.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , rbel wrote:

New Bosch dishwasher which will take either cold or hot water supply.
Given that we have recently replaced the DHW system with a reasonable
WB CDi combi I take it that using the hot water supply will result in
improved efficiency/lower operating cost, or is that too simplistic?

Cold. It'll probably never get any hot water - just the cold from the pipe.

Also, our dishwasher has warnings about it not cleaning properly if hot
fill as it relies on a cold rinse to help remove things like egg yolk.
Fill it with hot and it bakes it on. I suspect the detergents are designed
to be started with cold and then warmed up as well.

Darren

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 02 Feb 2013 18:00:42 +0000, rbel wrote:

New Bosch dishwasher which will take either cold or hot water supply.
Given that we have recently replaced the DHW system with a reasonable WB
CDi combi I take it that using the hot water supply will result in
improved efficiency/lower operating cost, or is that too simplistic?

If the dishwasher is by the sink, run the hot tap until hot comes through
then turn on the dishwasher :-)

Although our previous Bosch dishwashers have recommended cold fill.

Cheers

Dave R
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/02/2013 18:00, rbel wrote:

New Bosch dishwasher which will take either cold or hot water supply.
Given that we have recently replaced the DHW system with a reasonable
WB CDi combi I take it that using the hot water supply will result in
improved efficiency/lower operating cost, or is that too simplistic?

Cold is usually preferred since they don't draw much water anyway, and
filling with hot water will just "set" some protein based stains making
the job of the detergent harder.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 02 Feb 2013 18:00:42 +0000, rbel wrote:

Many thanks for the advice, I will use the cold supply.
--
rbel

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 2 February 2013 18:00:42 UTC, rbel wrote:
New Bosch dishwasher which will take either cold or hot water supply.
Given that we have recently replaced the DHW system with a reasonable
WB CDi combi I take it that using the hot water supply will result in
improved efficiency/lower operating cost, or is that too simplistic?
--
rbel

To clear up efficiently comments.. Yes electric heating is locally (at point of use) almost 100% efficient, however it's actual generation is not so efficient. A hot water boiler is more efficient at producing hot water for a given amount of hydrocarbon fuel than a power station is at producing that amount of electricity. Cost of electricity per kW is also higher then the cost of gas, for that efficiency reason. However, if you do not run the hot water before running the dishwasher, you will as described get very little actual hot water in the dishwasher, which drastically reduces the efficiency and means the difference is difficult to assess either way.

Moral of the story is, if you run the hot water first you will be much more efficient, and if you have free solar hot water it is a no brainer.

As for the egg whites, we are talking of uncooked egg whites surely, presumably mixing dishes for baking.. so rinse them before you put them in the dishwasher...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 29 Apr 2017 08:02:43 -0700, julian.muirhead wrote:

On Saturday, 2 February 2013 18:00:42 UTC, rbel wrote:

He's probably washed quite a few dishes in the past 4 years since his
query!

--
TOJ.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
[...]

Makes a lot more sense to supply the dishwasher
with cold water and let it do the rinsing itself.

**** all water is used, so the efficiency doesnt matter,
what matters is the effort to get the load done.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

2013?
I bet its been solved by now.
Brian