Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob Bob

Default Dishwasher - hot or cold water

Hi NG

Repaired an old dishwasher (Kitchenaid Imperial 21) that was in the
house we moved into. Noted that it was connected to the cold water supply.

Have heard that it should be connected to hot.. Problem here is that
there isnt very good pipe lagging between the HWS and machine itself. It
would end up just warming the pipes! I note that machine also has a
water heater.

What has been your experience? Is it worth using hot water at the input?
Does the detergent for example not work too well and lower temps.

Cheers Bob
Posted to alt.home.repair
Kathy

"Bob Bob" wrote in message
Hi NG

Repaired an old dishwasher (Kitchenaid Imperial

21) that was in the
house we moved into. Noted that it was connected

to the cold water supply.

Have heard that it should be connected to hot..

Problem here is that
there isnt very good pipe lagging between the HWS

and machine itself. It
would end up just warming the pipes! I note that

machine also has a
water heater.

What has been your experience? Is it worth using

hot water at the input?
Does the detergent for example not work too well

and lower temps.

Cheers Bob

mine is connected to HOT water and it does have a
water preheater in it

Posted to alt.home.repair

your better off runing a new PEX hot water line to the machine, its
flexible and easy to do.

with cold water in it should work BUT the wash cycle will be forever to
allow water time to get hot.

if your home water heater is gas this transfers the dishwasher to a
poor electric heater.

with hot water the machine will clean better, cycly shorter and ths
save you money and energy.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Ralph Mowery

"Bob Bob" wrote in message
Hi NG

Repaired an old dishwasher (Kitchenaid Imperial 21) that was in the
house we moved into. Noted that it was connected to the cold water supply.

Have heard that it should be connected to hot.. Problem here is that
there isnt very good pipe lagging between the HWS and machine itself. It
would end up just warming the pipes! I note that machine also has a
water heater.

What has been your experience? Is it worth using hot water at the input?
Does the detergent for example not work too well and lower temps.

My 2 year old Whirlpool specifies the water should be atleast 120 deg going
into it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Every one I've ever seen was made to be hooked up to hot water of 125
degrees or higher. Most of them will heat the water on at least some
of the cycles. But I'd be surprised if it did a good job cleaning
hooked to a cold water line. If you look at the troubleshooting guide
for any of them, you will see not having a water supply that is hot
enough will be listed as a cause of poor cleaning.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Edwin Pawlowski

"Bob Bob" wrote in message

What has been your experience? Is it worth using hot water at the input?
Does the detergent for example not work too well and lower temps.

Previous owner was an idiot. Always HOT. The hotter the better for cleaning
and clear rinsing.

The pre-heater is used only during couple of cycles to boost the
temperature, not to heat it all the way. FWIW, after 21 years don't spend a
lot of $$ to repair it. DW have a life expectancy of about 15 so it is on
borrowed time.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm

On Sat, 28 Jan 2006 18:58:50 -0500, "Kathy"
wrote:

mine is connected to HOT water and it does have a
water preheater in it

My 24 y.o. Kenmore is connected to hot water, and also a heater.

When it wouldn't drain, and I was fixing it, and I kept putting it
through the same parts of the ccyle over and over, while trying to
figure out what was wrong, the water got so hot it caused a plastic
salad bowl to bend, one that I had washed scores of times before
wihout any bending.

Remove NOPSAM to email me. Please let
me know if you have posted also.