Posted to uk.d-i-y
JTM JTM is offline

Default HO5VV-F or HO5RR-F cable?

Hi all,
Am fitting an induction hob and the instructions suggest
HO5RR-F (2.5mm€) cable (rubber sheath) but the local sheds
seem to have only HO5VV-F

As I understand it the available cable (which I've got on
the built in oven) is only a problem in case of contact with
heating element. As this won't happen with the induction
hob will the HO5VV-F be OK to use or should I do some more
searching to find the correct cable?

John

--
John Mulrooney

We never really grow up, we only learn how to act in public
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
JTM writes:
Hi all,
Am fitting an induction hob and the instructions suggest
HO5RR-F (2.5mm€) cable (rubber sheath) but the local sheds
seem to have only HO5VV-F

As I understand it the available cable (which I've got on
the built in oven) is only a problem in case of contact with
heating element. As this won't happen with the induction
hob will the HO5VV-F be OK to use or should I do some more
searching to find the correct cable?

The hob housing may exceed the running temperature of
ordinary (70C) PVC.

Buy a length of 2.5mm immersion heater flex (make sure it's
2.5mm and not the more common 1.5mm). You'll probably find
that in B&Q.

The quality of the connections is important. Unless the
terminals are specifically designed for flex strands, I
would crimp on bootlace furules.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2013-02-01, Andrew Gabriel wrote:

In article ,
JTM writes:
Hi all,
Am fitting an induction hob and the instructions suggest
HO5RR-F (2.5mm€) cable (rubber sheath) but the local sheds
seem to have only HO5VV-F

Buy a length of 2.5mm immersion heater flex (make sure it's
2.5mm and not the more common 1.5mm). You'll probably find
that in B&Q.

The quality of the connections is important. Unless the
terminals are specifically designed for flex strands, I
would crimp on bootlace furules.

How do you tell from looking at the terminals (if the documentation
doesn't mention it, I mean)?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
On 2013-02-01, Andrew Gabriel wrote:

In article ,
JTM writes:
Hi all,
Am fitting an induction hob and the instructions suggest
HO5RR-F (2.5mm€) cable (rubber sheath) but the local sheds
seem to have only HO5VV-F

Buy a length of 2.5mm immersion heater flex (make sure it's
2.5mm and not the more common 1.5mm). You'll probably find
that in B&Q.

The quality of the connections is important. Unless the
terminals are specifically designed for flex strands, I
would crimp on bootlace furules.

How do you tell from looking at the terminals (if the documentation
doesn't mention it, I mean)?

If the terminal has a clamp plate which will grip all the strands,
or something similar, then it's probably OK.

It it just has a screw which is going to grip a few strands and
push the others out of the way, then it needs ferrules crimping
on, or if you only have a crimper for insulated crimps, insulated
blade terminals crimping on which match the size of the cooker and
wall plate terminals (and the flex, obviously).

--
Andrew Gabriel

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
On 2013-02-01, Andrew Gabriel wrote:

In article ,
JTM writes:
[...]

Oh, of course, thanks.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
JTM JTM is offline

In article , Andrew Gabriel
wrote:
In article , JTM
writes:
Hi all, Am fitting an induction hob and the
instructions suggest HO5RR-F (2.5mm€) cable (rubber
sheath) but the local sheds seem to have only HO5VV-F

The hob housing may exceed the running temperature of
ordinary (70C) PVC.

Buy a length of 2.5mm immersion heater flex (make sure
it's 2.5mm and not the more common 1.5mm). You'll
probably find that in B&Q.

The quality of the connections is important. Unless the
terminals are specifically designed for flex strands, I
would crimp on bootlace furules.

Thanks for the replies, found the specified cable in another
outlet. Am impressed with the induction hob. much quieter
and faster than the cheap partable ones from Aldi etc.

--
John Mulrooney

Tidy desk tiny mind!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 07 Feb 2013 23:25:11 +0100, JTM wrote:

Am impressed with the induction hob. much quieter and faster than the
cheap partable ones from Aldi etc.

What hob did you get?

Just got a a Lidl (Silvercrest) single plate portable to try and it's
*SO* much nicer to cook on than the bog standard electric hot plate that
unless we decide to go for (bottled) gas we will be getting an induction
hob.

First time in ages that I can gently reduce things without them catching
on the bottom of the pan. B-)

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
JTM JTM is offline

In article
o.uk,
Dave Liquorice wrote:
What hob did you get?

It's a no name Ikea for 240 euros - there's big BUT -
The two rear rings are actually halogen things! only the
front ones are induction. Still pleased with it though

Just got a a Lidl (Silvercrest) single plate portable to
try and it's *SO* much nicer to cook on than the bog
standard electric hot plate that unless we decide to go
for (bottled) gas we will be getting an induction hob.

The propane hob might go next to the barbecue
The two portable hobs are 'Melissa' which we got from Netto

First time in ages that I can gently reduce things
without them catching on the bottom of the pan. B-)

--
John Mulrooney

The world is full of willing people; some willing to work, the rest willing to let them.