Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Weatherproof Boxes

Looking for a weatherproof box to put an awning switch in, must have a
'flip up, no tools' lid/cover like an outdoor socket.

Can't seem to find one at TLC/SF/TS.

Anyone know where I could get one?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:
Looking for a weatherproof box to put an awning switch in, must have a
'flip up, no tools' lid/cover like an outdoor socket.

Can't seem to find one at TLC/SF/TS.

Anyone know where I could get one?

why can't you just use an outdoor switch?

http://snipurl.com/269wzy1

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 31/01/2013 19:55, Phil L wrote:
The Medway Handyman wrote:
Looking for a weatherproof box to put an awning switch in, must have a
'flip up, no tools' lid/cover like an outdoor socket.

Can't seem to find one at TLC/SF/TS.

Anyone know where I could get one?

why can't you just use an outdoor switch?

http://snipurl.com/269wzy1

Cos it needs to do wot this one does
http://www.primrose-awnings.co.uk/aw...5&src=list_img

e.g. Out/Stop/In

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 31 Jan 2013 20:35:43 +0000, The Medway Handyman wrote:

Looking for a weatherproof box to put an awning switch in, must have
a 'flip up, no tools' lid/cover like an outdoor socket.

why can't you just use an outdoor switch?

Cos it needs to do wot this one does
http://www.primrose-awnings.co.uk/aw...h-p-2728.html?
cPath=149_305&src=list_img

Seems a bit odd that the awning maker can't supply a suitable outdoor
switch. After all you're not likely to install an awning inside and being
able to control it where you can properly see what is happening is surely
a thing the elves would like.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/02/2013 09:40, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Thu, 31 Jan 2013 20:35:43 +0000, The Medway Handyman wrote:

Looking for a weatherproof box to put an awning switch in, must have
a 'flip up, no tools' lid/cover like an outdoor socket.

why can't you just use an outdoor switch?

Cos it needs to do wot this one does
http://www.primrose-awnings.co.uk/aw...h-p-2728.html?
cPath=149_305&src=list_img

Seems a bit odd that the awning maker can't supply a suitable outdoor
switch. After all you're not likely to install an awning inside and being
able to control it where you can properly see what is happening is surely
a thing the elves would like.

I have actually installed an awning inside, but that's another story :-)

An outdoor switch would be ideal. The one in the link is wired as per
page 6 here;

http://www.primrose-awnings.co.uk/PD...ngs_web_en.pdf

If anyone knows of such a thing?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 01 Feb 2013 18:43:30 +0000, The Medway Handyman wrote:

An outdoor switch would be ideal. The one in the link is wired as per
page 6 here;

http://www.primrose-awnings.co.uk/PD...tions/EN/half_
cassette_awnings_web_en.pdf

If anyone knows of such a thing?

That is:

o--------- Motor L (out)

L -----o---

o--------- Motor L (in)

o----+---- Motor N

N -----o--- |

o----+

E ------------------ Motor E

The switch is a double pole change over center off (and non-latching I
should imagine). I note that the motor is fully isolated from the mains
when the switch is in the center position but I don't think that is
essential. I don't think you will find even a single pole waterproof
non-latching center off switch. But you can get the same effect with two
single pole push to make non-latching switches:

L ---+---o---

| o--------- Motor L (out)

+---o---

o--------- Motor L (in)

N -------------------- Motor N

E -------------------- Motor E

Just don't push both switches at the same time, bad things may or may not
happen. Donno if you can get single pole push to make non-latching
waterproof either... B-)

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2013-02-01, The Medway Handyman wrote:

On 01/02/2013 09:40, Dave Liquorice wrote:

Seems a bit odd that the awning maker can't supply a suitable outdoor
switch. After all you're not likely to install an awning inside and being
able to control it where you can properly see what is happening is surely
a thing the elves would like.

I have actually installed an awning inside, but that's another story :-)

Well, now that's the story I'd like to hear!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:
Looking for a weatherproof box to put an awning switch in, must have a
'flip up, no tools' lid/cover like an outdoor socket.

Can't seem to find one at TLC/SF/TS.

Anyone know where I could get one?

why can't you just use an outdoor switch?

http://snipurl.com/269wzy1

B&Q sell them, or they used to.
--
http://www.mykleeneze.com/rheselwood
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:
Looking for a weatherproof box to put an awning switch in, must have a
'flip up, no tools' lid/cover like an outdoor socket.

Can't seem to find one at TLC/SF/TS.

Anyone know where I could get one?

why can't you just use an outdoor switch?

http://snipurl.com/269wzy1

B&Q sell them, or they used to.

Yes, they had them in two forms - including a 13A socket, or not
including any wiring accessory.

I've used a couple of them, but not in situations where they are
often opened up. They're useful if you want an ununsual combination,
e.g. an outdoor 3-pole fan isolator in one case.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , The Medway Handyman
writes
Looking for a weatherproof box to put an awning switch in, must have a
'flip up, no tools' lid/cover like an outdoor socket.

Can't seem to find one at TLC/SF/TS.

How's this:
http://www.toolstation.com/shop/p33717
--
fred
it's a ba-na-na . . . .

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 31/01/2013 20:03, fred wrote:
In article , The Medway Handyman
writes
Looking for a weatherproof box to put an awning switch in, must have a
'flip up, no tools' lid/cover like an outdoor socket.

Can't seem to find one at TLC/SF/TS.

How's this:
http://www.toolstation.com/shop/p33717

Perfect - ta! Didn't think of searching for accessory box.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 31/01/2013 20:03, fred wrote:
In article , The Medway Handyman
writes
Looking for a weatherproof box to put an awning switch in, must have a
'flip up, no tools' lid/cover like an outdoor socket.

Can't seem to find one at TLC/SF/TS.

How's this:
http://www.toolstation.com/shop/p33717

Perfect - ta! Didn't think of searching for accessory box.

Glad you're sorted.

Not into internet gaming but 'fight the site' has become a regular
pastime ;-)

FWIW, I'm not so impressed with membrane protected enclosures like
these, haven't seen many long established ones that don't look tatty or
are failing:

http://www.toolstation.com/shop/p25211
--
fred
it's a ba-na-na . . . .
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

That's an Eterna box. I no longer fit them as they are ****.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/02/2013 01:02, ARW wrote:
fred wrote:
In article , The Medway Handyman
writes
Looking for a weatherproof box to put an awning switch in, must
have a 'flip up, no tools' lid/cover like an outdoor socket.

Can't seem to find one at TLC/SF/TS.

How's this:
http://www.toolstation.com/shop/p33717

That's an Eterna box. I no longer fit them as they are ****.

IIRC that's what you told me after I fitted mine last year! Have to say
it's been fine so far.

TMH - heads up: it doesn't include any weatherproof grommet though; you
need to buy those separately, as I found out when I got home from
Toolstation. (And Toolstation only do the grommets in packs of 10 !)

--
David
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

Lobster wrote:
On 01/02/2013 01:02, ARW wrote:
fred wrote:
In article , The Medway Handyman
writes
Looking for a weatherproof box to put an awning switch in, must
have a 'flip up, no tools' lid/cover like an outdoor socket.

Can't seem to find one at TLC/SF/TS.

How's this:
http://www.toolstation.com/shop/p33717

That's an Eterna box. I no longer fit them as they are ****.

IIRC that's what you told me after I fitted mine last year! Have to
say it's been fine so far.

Maybe I have heavy handed customers:-)

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/02/2013 01:02, ARW wrote:
fred wrote:
In article , The Medway Handyman
writes
Looking for a weatherproof box to put an awning switch in, must
have a 'flip up, no tools' lid/cover like an outdoor socket.

Can't seem to find one at TLC/SF/TS.

How's this:
http://www.toolstation.com/shop/p33717

That's an Eterna box. I no longer fit them as they are ****.

Is there a better one mate?

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

The Medway Handyman wrote:
On 01/02/2013 01:02, ARW wrote:
fred wrote:
In article , The Medway Handyman
writes
Looking for a weatherproof box to put an awning switch in, must
have a 'flip up, no tools' lid/cover like an outdoor socket.

Can't seem to find one at TLC/SF/TS.

How's this:
http://www.toolstation.com/shop/p33717

That's an Eterna box. I no longer fit them as they are ****.

Is there a better one mate?

I am trying to get a list of the MK parts you would need but I am off to
work shortly.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

The Medway Handyman wrote:
On 01/02/2013 01:02, ARW wrote:
fred wrote:
In article , The Medway Handyman
writes
Looking for a weatherproof box to put an awning switch in, must
have a 'flip up, no tools' lid/cover like an outdoor socket.

Can't seem to find one at TLC/SF/TS.

How's this:
http://www.toolstation.com/shop/p33717

That's an Eterna box. I no longer fit them as they are ****.

Is there a better one mate?

MK 56414
and
MK4899

should do the trick. If anyone would like to confirm that for me I should be
grateful.

I fitted something similar in York last month but I did not order the parts.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , ARW
writes
The Medway Handyman wrote:
On 01/02/2013 01:02, ARW wrote:
fred wrote:
In article , The Medway Handyman
writes
Looking for a weatherproof box to put an awning switch in, must
have a 'flip up, no tools' lid/cover like an outdoor socket.

Can't seem to find one at TLC/SF/TS.

How's this:
http://www.toolstation.com/shop/p33717

That's an Eterna box. I no longer fit them as they are ****.

Is there a better one mate?

MK 56414
and
MK4899

should do the trick. If anyone would like to confirm that for me I should be
grateful.

MK K4899 is 2 way with centre off but is not biassed to centre off

MK K4900 is 2 way centre off 'retractive' ie biassed so should do the
job but is only single pole[1] which is not what the mfr specifies
although it doesn't appear to be important from the point of view of the
wiring diagram.

For Dave, I wouldn't use anything but a biassed switch for an
application like this, it should operate like a dead man's switch with
hands off equalling safe and no movement. The limit switch shouldn't be
relied upon as anything other than a safety feature to limit travel
until the biassed switch is released.

[1] Leastwise I have to assume it is single pole as MK's totally wank
data does not specify.
--
fred
it's a ba-na-na . . . .
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , The Medway Handyman
writes
Looking for a weatherproof box to put an awning switch in, must have a
'flip up, no tools' lid/cover like an outdoor socket.

Can't seem to find one at TLC/SF/TS.

Anyone know where I could get one?

Look at CPC

type "cpc" into google ... it will get you there
--
geoff

Weatherproof Key switch John UK diy 2 January 3rd 12 11:39 PM
Like plywood, but weatherproof VM[_4_] Home Repair 13 June 16th 10 02:09 PM
Weatherproof strip blue UK diy 2 July 4th 08 05:48 PM
Weatherproof junction box geraldthehamster UK diy 5 May 10th 08 12:34 AM
Not-so-weatherproof electrical box C & E Home Repair 6 November 2nd 06 04:55 AM