Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Weatherproof junction box

I've bought a weatherproof junction box - the empty kind with the push-
outs that glands fix in to.

The power for my pond pump and filter goes from a plug and plug-in RCD
in the shed, via underground conduit, to where the junction box will
split it next to the pond, between the pump and the UV thing on the
filter. I'm going to attach the junction box to a vertical bit of
wood, with a little roof on it.

My questions: how should I make the connections within the junction
box? Is it OK to use Scotch block? Should I use silicon on the glands?
Should I allow a drain hole in the bottom in case of condensation?

Regards
Richard
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article
,
geraldthehamster wrote:
My questions: how should I make the connections within the junction
box? Is it OK to use Scotch block? Should I use silicon on the glands?
Should I allow a drain hole in the bottom in case of condensation?

I would provide a drain hole. It will heat up in the sun, and as it cools
draw in some air. I reckon it's impossible to totally seal this sort of
thing.

--
*Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

geraldthehamster presented the following explanation :

My questions: how should I make the connections within the junction
box? Is it OK to use Scotch block? Should I use silicon on the glands?
Should I allow a drain hole in the bottom in case of condensation?

Make all entries via the bottom of the box and add a drain hole. I
apply the rules 'stop water getting in, but make sure any that if it
does get in, it can can get out' - seal the top, but make an escape
hole in the lower edge.

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Thanks chaps.

Regards
Richard
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Huge wrote:

The IP65 box I just bought from Screwfix came with a chocolate block inside it.

Hmm. I've had sweets in the box from TLC, and I believe Viking Direct
used to include tins of biscuits in sufficiently large orders. Never got
chocolate from ScrewFix though :-)

Pete