Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Like plywood, but weatherproof

Looking for something to use as a simple unattached 'floor' for on a
fire escape. Needs to be rain-proof of course. A big sheet of 1/8"
aluminum would probably do it, but I have a feeling that there are
cheaper ways. Anyone know of anything?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 03 Jun 2010 03:41:18 -0400, VM
wrote:

Looking for something to use as a simple unattached 'floor' for on a
fire escape. Needs to be rain-proof of course. A big sheet of 1/8"
aluminum would probably do it, but I have a feeling that there are
cheaper ways. Anyone know of anything?

indoor outdoor carpet would work. I don't know anything about what
codes it might violate.

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 3, 3:41*am, VM wrote:
Looking for something to use as a simple unattached 'floor' for on a
fire escape. Needs to be rain-proof of course. A big sheet of 1/8"
aluminum would probably do it, but I have a feeling that there are
cheaper ways. Anyone know of anything?

There are various composites that come similarly sized to plywood
butthey are not cheap either. PT plywood is probably the cheapest.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 3, 2:41*am, VM wrote:
Looking for something to use as a simple unattached 'floor' for on a
fire escape. Needs to be rain-proof of course. A big sheet of 1/8"
aluminum would probably do it, but I have a feeling that there are
cheaper ways. Anyone know of anything?

Unattached floor sounds like a really bad idea. Remember, rain has to
go through this thing too. Pooled water can get pretty slippery.
Rushing out of a burning building, slipping on the fire escape doesn't
sound like my idea of fun. ...for the FD, either.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 03 Jun 2010 03:41:18 -0400, VM wrote
Re Like plywood, but weatherproof:

Looking for something to use as a simple unattached 'floor' for on a
fire escape. Needs to be rain-proof of course. A big sheet of 1/8"
aluminum would probably do it, but I have a feeling that there are
cheaper ways. Anyone know of anything?

Exterior grade plywood would work for this.
http://www.lowes.com/SearchCatalogDisplay?storeId=10151&langId=-1&catalogId=10051&N=0&newSearch=true&Ntt=exterior+ plywood&x=0&y=0

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
VM wrote:

Looking for something to use as a simple unattached 'floor' for on a
fire escape. Needs to be rain-proof of course. A big sheet of 1/8"
aluminum would probably do it, but I have a feeling that there are
cheaper ways. Anyone know of anything?

How about some grating? McMaster sells steel and fiberglass stuff, but
they may not be the least expensive place to buy it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"VM" wrote in message
Looking for something to use as a simple unattached 'floor' for on a
fire escape. Needs to be rain-proof of course. A big sheet of 1/8"
aluminum would probably do it, but I have a feeling that there are
cheaper ways. Anyone know of anything?

There are metal grating made for outdoor stairs. If you ever have to
actually use the fire escape, that couple of bucks can cost you a lot of
problems. Grating can get ice, but it won't get snow buildup on it if you
are in the snow belt. Don't cheap out on life saving equipment.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Like plywood, but weatherproof - followup

On Thu, 03 Jun 2010 07:12:39 -0700, Smitty Two
wrote:

In article ,
VM wrote:

Looking for something to use as a simple unattached 'floor' for on a
fire escape. Needs to be rain-proof of course. A big sheet of 1/8"
aluminum would probably do it, but I have a feeling that there are
cheaper ways. Anyone know of anything?

How about some grating? McMaster sells steel and fiberglass stuff, but
they may not be the least expensive place to buy it.

Thanks for the various opinions about this. It appears that some kind
of metal grating would be the best and safest. I figured that I need
two pieces of flat metal plate, perforated or not. If perforated,
they'd need to be relatively small holes, like 1/2" diameter or so.

Problem is that they're odd sizes, so I'd need to get them cut. About
4-1/2 feet square. Is there a good place to mail order something like
that?
Posted to alt.home.repair

VM wrote:
On Thu, 03 Jun 2010 07:12:39 -0700, Smitty Two
wrote:

In article ,
VM wrote:

Looking for something to use as a simple unattached 'floor' for on a
fire escape. Needs to be rain-proof of course. A big sheet of 1/8"
aluminum would probably do it, but I have a feeling that there are
cheaper ways. Anyone know of anything?

How about some grating? McMaster sells steel and fiberglass stuff, but
they may not be the least expensive place to buy it.

Thanks for the various opinions about this. It appears that some kind
of metal grating would be the best and safest. I figured that I need
two pieces of flat metal plate, perforated or not. If perforated,
they'd need to be relatively small holes, like 1/2" diameter or so.

Problem is that they're odd sizes, so I'd need to get them cut. About
4-1/2 feet square. Is there a good place to mail order something like
that?

If you live in a town with fire escapes that big, there is a metal job
shop somewhere near you. Only question is if they do retail custom work.
A heavy gauge of expanded metal mesh, or any of several different kinds
of outdoor-rated nonskid decking, would do what you needed. Look in
Yellow Pages under fire escapes, scaffolding, industrial supply, etc. It
will be too heavy to mail, or too large. If you do not have a vehicle,
you will need an understanding cab driver, and an old blanket to wrap it
up in. Don't forget to have the fabricator smooth or wrap somehow, any
cut edges. Something that would be easier to get home would be lengths
of pierced steel planking, if you can find any thin enough, and they
have some way to clip or bolt them together to make up larger panels.

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 15 Jun 2010 20:05:03 -0400, VM
wrote:

On Thu, 03 Jun 2010 07:12:39 -0700, Smitty Two
wrote:

In article ,
VM wrote:

Looking for something to use as a simple unattached 'floor' for on a
fire escape. Needs to be rain-proof of course. A big sheet of 1/8"
aluminum would probably do it, but I have a feeling that there are
cheaper ways. Anyone know of anything?

How about some grating? McMaster sells steel and fiberglass stuff, but
they may not be the least expensive place to buy it.

Thanks for the various opinions about this. It appears that some kind
of metal grating would be the best and safest. I figured that I need
two pieces of flat metal plate, perforated or not. If perforated,
they'd need to be relatively small holes, like 1/2" diameter or so.

Problem is that they're odd sizes, so I'd need to get them cut. About
4-1/2 feet square. Is there a good place to mail order something like
that?

Why mail order??? Go to a local metal fab shop and buy it, cut to
size. You really want expanded metal "catwalk" material.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On Thu, 03 Jun 2010 07:12:39 -0700, Smitty Two
wrote:

In article ,
VM wrote:

[...]

I haven't found a local sheet metal fab place. There were two close by
but now defunct. Seems to be a trend.

Some vendors on ebay sell large pieces of metal plate with relatively
low shipping charge. That's what implanted the idea for mail order.
But the sellers I checked just had stock sizes.

The keyword "catwalk material" may help. Thanks.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 15 Jun 2010 22:39:30 -0400, aemeijers
wrote:

VM wrote:
On Thu, 03 Jun 2010 07:12:39 -0700, Smitty Two
wrote:

In article ,
VM wrote:

[...]

Unfortunately haven't yet found one that does small jobs like this.

A heavy gauge of expanded metal mesh, or any of several different kinds
of outdoor-rated nonskid decking, would do what you needed.

I appreciate the key phrases above. That's one of the things that made
the search more difficult. "Sheet metal" comes up with a lot of
misdirects.

Look in
Yellow Pages under fire escapes, scaffolding, industrial supply, etc. It
will be too heavy to mail, or too large. If you do not have a vehicle,
you will need an understanding cab driver, and an old blanket to wrap it
up in. Don't forget to have the fabricator smooth or wrap somehow, any
cut edges. Something that would be easier to get home would be lengths
of pierced steel planking, if you can find any thin enough, and they
have some way to clip or bolt them together to make up larger panels.

I had no idea there was such a thing as 'steel planking'. Also worth a
look. Good idea about the blanket, etc.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 3, 3:27 pm, "Ed Pawlowski" wrote:
"VM" wrote in message

Looking for something to use as a simple unattached 'floor' for on a
fire escape. Needs to be rain-proof of course. A big sheet of 1/8"
aluminum would probably do it, but I have a feeling that there are
cheaper ways. Anyone know of anything?

There are metal grating made for outdoor stairs. If you ever have to
actually use the fire escape, that couple of bucks can cost you a lot of
problems. Grating can get ice, but it won't get snow buildup on it if you
are in the snow belt. Don't cheap out on life saving equipment.

The snow/ice issue is a very good point. He should also check what
the local codes say is required before spending any money. To get a
metal grate fabricated to size isn't going to be cheap and better to
do it right.

Weatherproof strip blue UK diy 2 July 4th 08 05:48 PM
Fitting a weatherproof 13A socket Lobster UK diy 16 May 11th 08 08:59 PM
Weatherproof junction box geraldthehamster UK diy 5 May 10th 08 12:34 AM
Not-so-weatherproof electrical box C & E Home Repair 6 November 2nd 06 04:55 AM
Weatherproof CCTV system Christian McArdle UK diy 22 September 13th 04 09:49 AM