Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default White foam board single 8x4ft sheet - source?

Does anyone know of a source for single 8x4ft sheets of white foam board?
All the suppliers I've found will only sell boxes of a dozen or thirteen.
Presumably this is to avoid (or minimise) any possible damage in delivery
and I can see that would be a risk with a single board: but if there is a
supplier I'd appreciate any details.

Many thanks.

Bert

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday 30 January 2013 15:24 Bert Coules wrote in uk.d-i-y:

Does anyone know of a source for single 8x4ft sheets of white foam board?
All the suppliers I've found will only sell boxes of a dozen or thirteen.
Presumably this is to avoid (or minimise) any possible damage in delivery
and I can see that would be a risk with a single board: but if there is a
supplier I'd appreciate any details.

Many thanks.

Bert

What foam? Expanded polystyrene, often traded as "jablite"?

--
Tim Watts Personal Blog: http://www.dionic.net/tim/

If you are reading this from a web interface eg DIY Banter,
DIY Forum or Google Groups, please be aware this is NOT a forum, and
you are merely using a web portal to a USENET group. Many people block
posters coming from web portals due to perceived SPAM or inaneness.
For a better method of access, please see:

"History will be kind to me for I intend to write it."

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Watts wrote:

What foam? Expanded polystyrene, often traded as "jablite"?

The stuff I'm thinking of - I have a sample in front of me - has a solid
lightweight core sandwiched between two sheets of what feels like very thin
plastic. I've always known this as "foamcore". I thought that Jablite was
just expanded polystyrene in slab form.

Bert

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday 30 January 2013 17:34 Bert Coules wrote in uk.d-i-y:

Tim Watts wrote:

What foam? Expanded polystyrene, often traded as "jablite"?

The stuff I'm thinking of - I have a sample in front of me - has a solid
lightweight core sandwiched between two sheets of what feels like very
thin
plastic. I've always known this as "foamcore". I thought that Jablite
was just expanded polystyrene in slab form.

Bert

Ah - with you now. Signwriters, as others have said. Go round one offering
cash.

--
Tim Watts Personal Blog: http://www.dionic.net/tim/

If you are reading this from a web interface eg DIY Banter,
DIY Forum or Google Groups, please be aware this is NOT a forum, and
you are merely using a web portal to a USENET group. Many people block
posters coming from web portals due to perceived SPAM or inaneness.
For a better method of access, please see:

"She got her looks from her father. He's a plastic surgeon."

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 30 Jan 2013 15:24:23 -0000, "Bert Coules"
wrote:

Does anyone know of a source for single 8x4ft sheets of white foam board?
All the suppliers I've found will only sell boxes of a dozen or thirteen.
Presumably this is to avoid (or minimise) any possible damage in delivery
and I can see that would be a risk with a single board: but if there is a
supplier I'd appreciate any details.

Try googling for exhibition contractors or Yelling for "Foamex" board.

DerekG

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Astonishingly, I've just discovered a signwriting company not five minutes
walk from where I live. And they can supply from stock a single sheet of
exactly the right material.

They can also get a cut-to-size aluminium channel frame, which is something
I'd considered both for neatness and for protecting the edges of the
foamboard, but it's pricey: £120 plus delivery (plus VAT) and another
hundred for respraying if I want it in matt black (which I do). So I'm
looking elsewhere for suitable channel, perhaps in plastic, to fit over the
edges of the 5mm board.

Many thanks to all who replied.

Bert