Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Anyone used LED strip lights?

I've just fitted a strip of white LEDs in my small kitchen - 2 metres under the cupboards to light the work surface and another 3 metres split between two plinths.

I'm very pleased with the result, there are 300 LEDs per 5 metre length and they use 24 watts. Cost £19 on Ebay for strip and transformer with free postage.

Has anyone had any experience with these? I'm very impressed and all set to make myself a kind of suspended ceiling fitting using them but I wondered if there are any downsides to be aware of?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/01/2013 17:40, Murmansk wrote:
I've just fitted a strip of white LEDs in my small kitchen - 2 metres under the cupboards to light the work surface and another 3 metres split between two plinths.

I'm very pleased with the result, there are 300 LEDs per 5 metre length and they use 24 watts. Cost £19 on Ebay for strip and transformer with free postage.

Could you share the ebay link?

--
David
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/01/2013 17:40, Murmansk wrote:
I've just fitted a strip of white LEDs in my small kitchen - 2 metres under the cupboards to light the work surface and another 3 metres split between two plinths.

I'm very pleased with the result, there are 300 LEDs per 5 metre length and they use 24 watts. Cost £19 on Ebay for strip and transformer with free postage.

I've just tried a Lidl 5 LED 3W total strip light under a cupboard.
Bright to the point that the reflected light is dazzling. I'd like to
say it's because of the cleanliness of the surfaces but . . .

Is there an easy/elegant way to tone down this effect, but maintain the
amount of light?

If you like/don't mind the quality of light, you're lucky/wise with
where you buy them, and you keep them on a lot, they do appear to be the
way lights are going.

Rob

Posted to uk.d-i-y

use 24 watts. Cost £19 on Ebay for strip and transformer with free postage.

Could you share the ebay link?

--

David

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2710063418...84.m1439.l2649

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 19 January 2013 20:08:52 UTC, Brian Gaff wrote:
Hmm I wonder if they are weather proof. Looking for some kind of light for

my garden path.

Brian

Yes there is a waterproof version - that's what I got. Rather than being like a thin tape with raised LEDs on it it's got a layer of silicone-like clear plastic on it and in cross section is almost semi-circular. It feels very tough and rubbery and can be glued down using the attached self-adhesive strip or, for more resiliant attachment, silicone sealant.

This could be used outside I guess as long as the transformer and where its lead connects to the strip is protected from moisture.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Brian Gaff" wrote:
Hmm I wonder if they are weather proof. Looking for some kind of light for
my garden path.

Weatherproof LED strips are available. Peritus offer them on their website,
for example.

--
€¢DarWin|
_/ _/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Murmansk wrote:
use 24 watts. Cost £19 on Ebay for strip and transformer with free postage.

Could you share the ebay link?

--

David

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2710063418...84.m1439.l2649

How are the LEDs configured? does every LED get the 12v or is there some
sort series parallel arrangement across the supply?
Posted to uk.d-i-y
cj cj is offline

Hi
Got a 3m set in the wifes display cabinet looks great and been in since
October last year.
Also got 2 3m sets for garden but snow stopped play!
For xmas used the rgb 3m set worked great and you could dim them with the
supplied controller .
You can get the 3m leds from ebay for around £7 and they can be cut every 3
leds as marked on the rope.
This applies to the rgb and single colour strings.The 3 led chain then runs
from a 12vdc source.
On ebay search for 300led smd and you will get 1000's to choose from.
You can also buy the connectors and terminations if you need to cut the
rope.(around 50p)
HTH
CJ

"Murmansk" wrote in message

I've just fitted a strip of white LEDs in my small kitchen - 2 metres under
the cupboards to light the work surface and another 3 metres split between
two plinths.

I'm very pleased with the result, there are 300 LEDs per 5 metre length and
they use 24 watts. Cost £19 on Ebay for strip and transformer with free
postage.

Has anyone had any experience with these? I'm very impressed and all set to
make myself a kind of suspended ceiling fitting using them but I wondered if
there are any downsides to be aware of?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 19 January 2013 19:24:18 UTC, Murmansk wrote:
use 24 watts. Cost £19 on Ebay for strip and transformer with free postage.

Could you share the ebay link?

--

David

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2710063418...84.m1439.l2649

Looking at the (4A/6A/10A) transformers on the ebay page, you might want to check the plugs as they dont look right for BS1363 (partially sleeved earth pin!) See http://www.bs1363.org.uk/ for some further details

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 20 Jan 2013 13:59:31 -0800 (PST), Mike
wrote:

On Saturday, 19 January 2013 19:24:18 UTC, Murmansk wrote:
use 24 watts. Cost £19 on Ebay for strip and transformer with free postage.

Could you share the ebay link?

--

David

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2710063418...84.m1439.l2649

Looking at the (4A/6A/10A) transformers on the ebay page, you might want to check the plugs as they dont look right for BS1363 (partially sleeved earth pin!) See http://www.bs1363.org.uk/ for some further details

Well spotted. An IEC cable too, so it could have found its way to
powering all sorts of gear.

At least the plug has a fuse.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

UK trader too, let's hope it was just a stock image.