Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Soundproofing timber frame

Can anyone give me some advice, please, on soundproofing, during
construction, the exterior walls and ceiling of a single-story timber
framed extension, to keep out traffic noise from outside?

The exterior walls will consist of timber frame, insulated to regs,
but clad externally in timber (cedar or chestut), ie with no brick
leaf or cavity. The roof will be a warm roof covered in EPDM.

Last year I designed and built a front porch along similar lines -
from the inside out: skim, plasterboard, 25mm Celotex, 4x2 frame with
Celotex infill, OSB, blue fabric, battens, cedar cladding. It's quite
noisy.

I have also renovated the first floor of my dormer bungalow using
double plasterboard (one of which was Soundbloc) over 25mm Celotex
over and 100mm between the rafters, and the result wasn't satisfactory
from an acoustic point of view. I want to do better for the
extension.

I want to add mass (which is, in principle, lacking), using Soundbloc
plasterboard and dense quilt or acoustic batts, and possibly also some
acoustic separation - should I be thinking in terms of creating an
entirely separate frame a couple of inches inside the structural frame
(perhaps out of 2x2), and filling the gap with quilt? Or is there a
more standard method? I don't want to try to reinvent the wheel. Does
anyone have any experience? It's construction details and the order of
things that I need.

Cheers
Richard
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/01/2013 13:52, geraldthehamster wrote:
Can anyone give me some advice, please, on soundproofing, during
construction, the exterior walls and ceiling of a single-story timber
framed extension, to keep out traffic noise from outside?

I want to add mass (which is, in principle, lacking), using Soundbloc
plasterboard and dense quilt or acoustic batts, and possibly also some
acoustic separation - should I be thinking in terms of creating an
entirely separate frame a couple of inches inside the structural frame
(perhaps out of 2x2), and filling the gap with quilt? Or is there a
more standard method? I don't want to try to reinvent the wheel. Does
anyone have any experience? It's construction details and the order of
things that I need.

I have found the compacted rocksill wool sheets approx 150cm x 100cm x
4cm officially sold I think as cavity wall insulation pretty good as
acoustic damping inside an interior timber and plasterboard wall.

You may need to be more careful about vapour barriers on an exterior
wall to avoid condensation problems.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/01/13 13:52, geraldthehamster wrote:
Can anyone give me some advice, please, on soundproofing...

Chapter and verse here in PartE of the approved documents:

http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/bui...ents/downloads

I think you'll be looking at independent studwork. These don't have to
be double thickness, one face can be interleaved with the other face,
and the noggins set on edge - but no contact points between the two
faces, and a continuous layer of sound insulation weaving in and out
between them.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, January 15, 2013 3:00:03 PM UTC, Dom Ostrowski wrote:
On 15/01/13 13:52, geraldthehamster wrote: Can anyone give me some advice, please, on soundproofing... Chapter and verse here in PartE of the approved documents: http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/bui...ents/downloads I think you'll be looking at independent studwork. These don't have to be double thickness, one face can be interleaved with the other face, and the noggins set on edge - but no contact points between the two faces, and a continuous layer of sound insulation weaving in and out between them.

Thanks. I didn;t think to look at Part E, and as you say, some useful information there. It does deal with walls within buildings rather than external walls, though the principles are going to be the same where airborne sound is concerned.

Cheers
Richard
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, January 15, 2013 3:00:03 PM UTC, Dom Ostrowski wrote:
On 15/01/13 13:52, geraldthehamster wrote:

Can anyone give me some advice, please, on soundproofing...

Chapter and verse here in PartE of the approved documents:

http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/bui...ents/downloads

I think you'll be looking at independent studwork. These don't have to

be double thickness, one face can be interleaved with the other face,

and the noggins set on edge - but no contact points between the two

faces, and a continuous layer of sound insulation weaving in and out

between them.

What do they do with actual timber framed houses? In this country they are often brick clad, but what about the "noisiness" of timber framed houses used around the world? Anyone know?
Simon.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, January 15, 2013 1:52:16 PM UTC, geraldthehamster wrote:
[...]

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php?...oise_reduction

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jan 15, 3:46*pm, wrote:
[...]

NT- Hide quoted text -

Thanks. We're still talking about interior partition walls though. I
don't know to what extent the technical aspects differ for external
walls. Probably not a lot; sound is sound, I guess. Though within a
building there is also vibration to contend with, whereas from the
outside it's mainly airborne sound. I'm keen on the staggered stud
approach, though it does increase my materials costs ...

Cheers
Richard
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"geraldthehamster" wrote in message
[...]

We have just added soundproofing to a party wall, and it has certainly made
a difference.
As you suggested, we had a stud wall built out of 2*2 with the gaps between
the studs filled with rockwool batts.
The major sound proofing comes from the 2" air gap between the stud wall and
the original wall.
This is allegedly better than filling the void with any sound insulating
material.

We effectively have a hidden room 2" wide :-)

Oh, and the facing was OSB then plasterboard so it is easy to screw brackets
and stuff to it without having to locate a stud.

Cheers

Dave R
[Not even bunny]

Helmuth von Moltke the Elder

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, January 15, 2013 3:59:53 PM UTC, geraldthehamster wrote:
On Jan 15, 3:46 pm, wrote:
On Tuesday, January 15, 2013 1:52:16 PM UTC, geraldthehamster wrote:

Can anyone give me some advice, please, on soundproofing, during
construction, the exterior walls and ceiling of a single-story timber
framed extension, to keep out traffic noise from outside?

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php?...oise_reduction

Thanks. We're still talking about interior partition walls though. I
don't know to what extent the technical aspects differ for external
walls. Probably not a lot; sound is sound, I guess. Though within a
building there is also vibration to contend with, whereas from the
outside it's mainly airborne sound.

Sound is vibration. The principles are the same, the lowest frequencies are attenuated less by damping, so concentrate on mass for that. Thermal insulation can damp vibration & resonance as well as insulate.

I'm keen on the staggered stud
approach, though it does increase my materials costs ...
Cheers
Richard

Timber Frame Kit Abby Brown Home Repair 1 July 22nd 14 02:45 PM
Timber Frame Kit Abby Brown Woodworking 3 September 24th 09 03:44 AM
Timber frame inner wall fixing Lobster UK diy 3 March 1st 06 11:05 AM
Timber Frame Help Pat-UK Home Repair 1 October 25th 05 06:13 PM
Has anyone ever bought a timber frame selfbuilder UK diy 0 April 8th 05 05:58 PM