Posted to uk.d-i-y
ss ss is offline

Default Cutting paving slabs

Would a normal bog standard cheapo angle grinder be ok for cutting a few
garden slabs the 2 x 3 foot size? Or would I need something more
substantial, got about a dozen to trim and in no rush.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/01/2013 14:43, ss wrote:
Would a normal bog standard cheapo angle grinder be ok for cutting a few
garden slabs the 2 x 3 foot size? Or would I need something more
substantial, got about a dozen to trim and in no rush.

Should be ok taking it easy with a 9" cheapo and a diamond blade. 2 x 3
foot? Blimey, are you a weight lifter?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/01/13 14:43, ss wrote:
Would a normal bog standard cheapo angle grinder be ok for cutting a few
garden slabs the 2 x 3 foot size? Or would I need something more
substantial, got about a dozen to trim and in no rush.

I have actually cut these on a £30- tile cutter..but after the first one
I hired a diamond bladed big angle grinder. Took less time to drive to
town, get one, cut the slabs and take it back than I spent cutting the
first one.

So the answer is yes and no.

You need power and you need a proper diamond stone cutting disk.

--
Ineptocracy

diminishing number of producers.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 08 Jan 2013 14:43:28 +0000, ss wrote:

Would a normal bog standard cheapo angle grinder be ok for cutting a
few garden slabs the 2 x 3 foot size? Or would I need something more
substantial, got about a dozen to trim and in no rush.

Provided you have the depth of cut yes. You might not even need the full
depth, just cut as deep as you can from the face side, place cut along
the edge of lath and break the slab. Get diamond blades, ordinary stome
cutting abrasive ones just won't last.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/01/2013 14:43, ss wrote:
Would a normal bog standard cheapo angle grinder be ok for cutting a few
garden slabs the 2 x 3 foot size? Or would I need something more
substantial, got about a dozen to trim and in no rush.

Get mask, ear defenders, eye protection (I use full face cover), gloves,
changes of clothes and somewhere that the dust doesn't matter.

--
Rod

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 08 Jan 2013 15:30:47 +0000, polygonum wrote:

Would a normal bog standard cheapo angle grinder be ok for cutting a
few garden slabs the 2 x 3 foot size?

Get mask, ear defenders, eye protection (I use full face cover),
gloves, changes of clothes and somewhere that the dust doesn't matter.

That goes without saying when getting the angle grinder out doesn't it?

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/01/2013 15:47, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Tue, 08 Jan 2013 15:30:47 +0000, polygonum wrote:

Would a normal bog standard cheapo angle grinder be ok for cutting a
few garden slabs the 2 x 3 foot size?

Get mask, ear defenders, eye protection (I use full face cover),
gloves, changes of clothes and somewhere that the dust doesn't matter.

That goes without saying when getting the angle grinder out doesn't it?

I'd hope so - but the OP doesn't appear to have much experience of using
them in this sort of role. And it is a whole extra chapter of muck from,
maybe, trimming a bolt or other relatively trivial use of an AG.

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/01/13 15:47, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Tue, 08 Jan 2013 15:30:47 +0000, polygonum wrote:

Would a normal bog standard cheapo angle grinder be ok for cutting a
few garden slabs the 2 x 3 foot size?

Get mask, ear defenders, eye protection (I use full face cover),
gloves, changes of clothes and somewhere that the dust doesn't matter.

That goes without saying when getting the angle grinder out doesn't it?

Not really. eye protection is worth having, but the rest is only for
dumb ****s who cant handle power tools: I mean who really is going to
cut paving slabs on the best carpet..

...well except Danny. Danny was a labourer on the site of my new house.,
WE had fitted very expensive oak doorframes and they were barrowing
stiff in through them and banging them. I suggested he organise some
protection. So he NAILED with six inch nails some ply over the
frame...to the frame! ....sheesh.

That was the final straw.

--
Ineptocracy

diminishing number of producers.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ss ss is offline

[...]

Thanks for the suggestions all. The reason I dont want to hire a `real
slab cutter` is the job will be done over a couple of months so wont
have all the slabs needing cut ready to go so will just be doing maybe 4
at a time as required.
And yes I only use the grinder ocassionaly for odd bits and have never
used on slabs before, I hate the things but...........needs must.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jan 8, 2:43*pm, ss wrote:
Would a normal bog standard cheapo angle grinder be ok for cutting a few
garden slabs the 2 x 3 foot size? *Or would I need something more
substantial, got about a dozen to trim and in no rush.

You can hire a machine like a guillotine that will crack them.

Or if you cut a slot with the angle grinder, you can turn them over
and tap the back until they break.

As long as they are not "granolithic" fairly easy to do.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/01/2013 14:43, ss wrote:
Would a normal bog standard cheapo angle grinder be ok for cutting a few
garden slabs the 2 x 3 foot size? Or would I need something more
substantial, got about a dozen to trim and in no rush.

If you don't need a nice smooth edge, then you can just use the angle
grinder to score a line, then tip up the slab and tap with a lump hammer
along the line on the back and it will break along the line but the edge
under the cut will be a bit rough.

John M
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/01/2013 15:03, stuart noble wrote:
On 08/01/2013 14:43, ss wrote:
Would a normal bog standard cheapo angle grinder be ok for cutting a few
garden slabs the 2 x 3 foot size? Or would I need something more
substantial, got about a dozen to trim and in no rush.

Should be ok taking it easy with a 9" cheapo and a diamond blade. 2 x 3
foot? Blimey, are you a weight lifter?

I had to remove, and then twice more move, ten 2' x 3' slabs, before
finally disposing of them - 9 of the B's were the proper 2" thick ones
too. I don't think my left knee has ever been the same since

SteveW

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/01/2013 14:43, ss wrote:
Would a normal bog standard cheapo angle grinder be ok for cutting a few
garden slabs the 2 x 3 foot size? Or would I need something more
substantial, got about a dozen to trim and in no rush.

Should be ok taking it easy with a 9" cheapo and a diamond blade. 2 x 3
foot? Blimey, are you a weight lifter?

I had to remove, and then twice more move, ten 2' x 3' slabs, before
finally disposing of them - 9 of the B's were the proper 2" thick ones
too. I don't think my left knee has ever been the same since

SteveW

The source of much crazy paving I imagine
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/01/2013 14:43, ss wrote:
Would a normal bog standard cheapo angle grinder be ok for cutting a
few
garden slabs the 2 x 3 foot size? Or would I need something more
substantial, got about a dozen to trim and in no rush.

Should be ok taking it easy with a 9" cheapo and a diamond blade. 2 x 3
foot? Blimey, are you a weight lifter?

I had to remove, and then twice more move, ten 2' x 3' slabs, before
finally disposing of them - 9 of the B's were the proper 2" thick ones
too. I don't think my left knee has ever been the same since

SteveW

The source of much crazy paving I imagine

The source of much cursing! Especially getting them back out of the
trailer when I finally got rid of them!

SteveW

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/01/2013 14:43, ss wrote:

Would a normal bog standard cheapo angle grinder be ok for cutting a

few

garden slabs the 2 x 3 foot size? Or would I need something more

substantial, got about a dozen to trim and in no rush.

Should be ok taking it easy with a 9" cheapo and a diamond blade. 2 x 3

foot? Blimey, are you a weight lifter?

I had to remove, and then twice more move, ten 2' x 3' slabs, before

finally disposing of them - 9 of the B's were the proper 2" thick ones

too. I don't think my left knee has ever been the same since

SteveW

The source of much crazy paving I imagine

The source of much cursing! Especially getting them back out of the

trailer when I finally got rid of them!

SteveW

So are those cheapo diamond core bits and diamond cutting discs any use ? I've got very wary of Axminster own brand products.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/01/2013 14:43, ss wrote:

[...]

Don't know about the core bits, but any diamond cutting disk is many
times better than the alternative types. If I was cutting such things
regularly, I'd buy good disks, but for relatively small numbers, cheapos
will do.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/01/2013 14:43, ss wrote:
Would a normal bog standard cheapo angle grinder be ok for cutting a few
garden slabs the 2 x 3 foot size? Or would I need something more
substantial, got about a dozen to trim and in no rush.

I recently cut three concrete fencing barge boards (with reinforcing
rods?) with a cheap angle grinder and a diamond disk, purchased from
Aldi, without problems (I did have to cut from both sides because of the
depth of cut)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/01/2013 21:43, alan wrote:
On 08/01/2013 14:43, ss wrote:
Would a normal bog standard cheapo angle grinder be ok for cutting a few
garden slabs the 2 x 3 foot size? Or would I need something more
substantial, got about a dozen to trim and in no rush.

I recently cut three concrete fencing barge boards (with reinforcing
rods?) with a cheap angle grinder and a diamond disk, purchased from
Aldi, without problems (I did have to cut from both sides because of the
depth of cut)

Need a diamond blade or it will wear away like hell and make a mess of
things
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, January 8, 2013 2:43:28 PM UTC, ss wrote:
Would a normal bog standard cheapo angle grinder be ok for cutting a few

garden slabs the 2 x 3 foot size? Or would I need something more

substantial, got about a dozen to trim and in no rush.

Have a look at this site www.brickworker.co.uk i would sat higher a water bottle and cutoff saw. regards george.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Have a look at this site www.brickworker.co.uk i would sat higher a water bottle and cutoff saw. regards george/q

Oh FFS another prehistoric spamming ****.....

WTF did he mean anyway ? Apart from www.prickworker.co.uk
??

Jim K

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/08/2014 20:50, wrote:
On Tuesday, January 8, 2013 2:43:28 PM UTC, ss wrote:
Would a normal bog standard cheapo angle grinder be ok for cutting a few

garden slabs the 2 x 3 foot size? Or would I need something more

substantial, got about a dozen to trim and in no rush.

Have a look at this site
www.brickworker.co.uk i would sat higher a water bottle and cutoff saw. regards george.

I used a 4.5inch Matika angle grinder with a diamond wheel, and it beat
the hell out of a similar Bosch angle grinder, as I f*****d up 2 of
those, cutting some 2x2 paving flags.

Making paving slabs. ss UK diy 11 March 8th 12 11:30 PM
cutting paving slabs RobertL UK diy 13 October 3rd 07 03:17 PM
cutting slate paving slabs chris UK diy 8 July 11th 07 11:31 AM
Cutting Paving Slabs [email protected] UK diy 24 August 7th 06 03:04 PM
Paving Slabs Darren Griffin - PocketGPSWorld UK diy 9 March 8th 04 07:53 PM