Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default cutting slate paving slabs

Hi,
we're laying a patio with solid stone slabs sqaure /rectangular which have
come supplied roughly bevelled at the edges.

Cutting the slabs to a curve for one side of the patio gives a straight
clean edge which doesn't really match the "quarried look" of the uncut
slabs.

Is there any way to give them a rougher looking edge -after cutting ?

Any ideas appreciated

Cheers
Chris

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-07-10 15:59:22 +0100, "chris" said:

Hi,
we're laying a patio with solid stone slabs sqaure /rectangular which have
come supplied roughly bevelled at the edges.

Cutting the slabs to a curve for one side of the patio gives a straight
clean edge which doesn't really match the "quarried look" of the uncut
slabs.

Is there any way to give them a rougher looking edge -after cutting ?

Any ideas appreciated

Cheers
Chris

That's difficult because slate is laminar.

You could try cutting slightly over size and then roughing the edges
with various tools.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-07-10 15:59:22 +0100, "chris" said:

Hi,
we're laying a patio with solid stone slabs sqaure /rectangular
which have
come supplied roughly bevelled at the edges.

Cutting the slabs to a curve for one side of the patio gives a
straight
clean edge which doesn't really match the "quarried look" of the
uncut
slabs.

Is there any way to give them a rougher looking edge -after
cutting ?

Any ideas appreciated

That's difficult because slate is laminar.

You could try cutting slightly over size and then roughing the edges
with various tools.

Agreed, in fact don't they do it that way at the quarry now days - one
reason why 'natural' looking quarry slate is expencive.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 10 Jul 2007 15:59:22 +0100, "chris" wrote:

Hi,
we're laying a patio with solid stone slabs sqaure /rectangular which have
come supplied roughly bevelled at the edges.

Cutting the slabs to a curve for one side of the patio gives a straight
clean edge which doesn't really match the "quarried look" of the uncut
slabs.

Is there any way to give them a rougher looking edge -after cutting ?

Any ideas appreciated

Cheers
Chris

Slate is soft and easy to work but will break/split if worked the
wrong way. Always work along the length of the piece at right angles
to the laminations or grain.

The ideal tool would be one of the old spokeshaves. or even an old
carving knife held firmly in both hands. Even a stanley knife used to
whittle the edge away will be effective but requiring more pressure
than a wide blade.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

chris wrote:
Hi,
we're laying a patio with solid stone slabs sqaure /rectangular which have
come supplied roughly bevelled at the edges.

Cutting the slabs to a curve for one side of the patio gives a straight
clean edge which doesn't really match the "quarried look" of the uncut
slabs.

Is there any way to give them a rougher looking edge -after cutting ?

Yup.

Chip away with a bolster and chisel.

Any ideas appreciated

Cheers
Chris

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"EricP" wrote in message
On Tue, 10 Jul 2007 15:59:22 +0100, "chris" wrote:

Hi,
we're laying a patio with solid stone slabs sqaure /rectangular which
have
come supplied roughly bevelled at the edges.

Cutting the slabs to a curve for one side of the patio gives a straight
clean edge which doesn't really match the "quarried look" of the uncut
slabs.

Is there any way to give them a rougher looking edge -after cutting ?

Any ideas appreciated

Cheers
Chris

Slate is soft and easy to work but will break/split if worked the
wrong way. Always work along the length of the piece at right angles
to the laminations or grain.

Did he say slate???

Mary

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"EricP" wrote in message
On Tue, 10 Jul 2007 20:27:31 +0100, "Mary Fisher"
wrote:

"EricP" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

I've just seen it - in the subject line. in the body it's just 'stones'.

My mistake - but understandable, I think :-)

Mary