Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Outside electrics sealing

The garden electrics started tripping the RCD so I opened up to
investigate. When I installed the kit about ten years ago the insides
were clean and dry. Now, there's a lot of mud, moisture, and creepy-
crawlies.

Is this normal or does it indicate a problem somewhere? There are about
six boxes (mostly MK Masterseal) linked by conduit so it's difficult to
be sure where the ingress was. There aren't any obvious gaps in the
sealing other than small drainage holes; also I haven't always been
fastidious about closing the socket flaps and I'm wondering whether an
unused earth pin socket could be the route.

--
Mike Barnes
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/01/2013 17:26, Mike Barnes wrote:
The garden electrics started tripping the RCD so I opened up to
investigate. When I installed the kit about ten years ago the insides
were clean and dry. Now, there's a lot of mud, moisture, and creepy-
crawlies.

Is this normal or does it indicate a problem somewhere? There are about
six boxes (mostly MK Masterseal) linked by conduit so it's difficult to
be sure where the ingress was. There aren't any obvious gaps in the
sealing other than small drainage holes; also I haven't always been
fastidious about closing the socket flaps and I'm wondering whether an
unused earth pin socket could be the route.

We have lanterns on the tops of some brick cappings (basically a small
paving slab on a square of wall)

I get this occationally when ants decide they want to make a nest in the
bottom of the lantern. I haven't managed to totally solve the problem yet...

--
Toby...
Remove pants to reply

more electrics Gill Smith UK diy 15 April 8th 11 10:37 AM
Electrics - is this right? Martin Pentreath UK diy 9 March 27th 09 10:34 AM
Electrics CJC UK diy 72 December 14th 06 10:33 PM
Outside Electrics Charles Middleton UK diy 8 September 13th 05 01:05 PM
When to do 2nd fix electrics? Dave Sharp UK diy 12 August 4th 05 09:26 PM