Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Instantaneous Hot water type kettle things

On 07/01/2013 15:49, usenet2012 wrote:

In December 2011 I bought one of these: http://tinyurl.com/abuhkj8 as
SWMBO was recovering from an operation which left her unable to lift a
kettle safely. I did my usual trawl of the reviews before buying so this
was the best I could find at the time.

It's been in regular use since then and trouble-free though I have to
remember to keep an eye on the water level and refill it so that it's
ready for use.

The lever at the top controls how much water will be heated but the
markings don't really indicate volume. However the second button
instantly halts the hot water flow - very useful.

One other thing. It hasn't replaced our kettle as the water it produces
is too hot for the green teas I prefer.

I'm thinking that filling? such a device from the softened water side of
things would help prolong it's life.

We live in NW Kent, so in a hard water area. I haven't noticed any
scaling problems yet. With a family history of high blood pressure I
don't intend to start filling it with softened water.

Many thanks Simon.
I hadn't seen that one.
I like the fact it's got a stop button which was one of my concerns
about the breville version.
I'll show it to Deb and let her decide..

The main reason I fill the kettle with softend water is because I
generally can't be bothered to wait for the slow flow rate of the hard
water going through the ceramic/carbon filter.

We're not particularly hard water here in North Somerset so the amount
of sodium that is added to the water is going to significantly lower
than a true hard water area so for me it's a choice of hard water and no
chlorine but increased limescale or soft water and chlorine/sodium.

Perhaps filling from each tap on alternate days will be the way to go.
:¬)

Cheers
Pete@

--