Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Making a Shunt Resistor

As part of another project, would like to take some High Current DC measurements.

I have a couple of multimeters ... but obviously not going to be any good for around 80-100A

Now going back to school physics lessons I could use a Shunt resistor ...
http://www.societyofrobots.com/robot...?topic=13900.0

The issue will be obtaining a suitable shunt ... assuming I use a 1 ohm shunt, anybody made one of these ?
The WEB ref page:http://www3.zetatalk.com/docs/Electr...Meter_2007.pdf
details using 12guage copper wire .. based on 1.619 ohm per 1000'

Although maybe a resistance wire may be better eg Nichrome around 10.58" for 1 ohm.
Welcome to any better ideas.