Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Making a Shunt Resistor

In article ,
writes:
As part of another project, would like to take some High Current DC measurements.

I have a couple of multimeters ... but obviously not going to be any good for around 80-100A

Now going back to school physics lessons I could use a Shunt resistor ...
http://www.societyofrobots.com/robot...?topic=13900.0

The issue will be obtaining a suitable shunt ... assuming I use a 1 ohm shunt, anybody made one of these ?
The WEB ref page:http://www3.zetatalk.com/docs/Electr...Meter_2007.pdf
details using 12guage copper wire .. based on 1.619 ohm per 1000'

Although maybe a resistance wire may be better eg Nichrome around 10.58" for 1 ohm.
Welcome to any better ideas.

You probably don't want resistance wire for this sort of current,
and you don;t want anything like 1 ohm resistance.

As a teenager, I made a multimeter (moving needle type back then),
and I used a length of wire coat-hanger as the shunt resistor with
a 50microamp meter movement. Just needed a few inches IIRC, although
I don't now recall what the current was for full scale deflection.

Later, I made a car battery charger, and used a length of plain
copper wire as the shunt, folded back and forth a few times.

One important thing - make sure your sense wires are connected to the
shunt wire only, and not to the shunt wire terminals/ends. Otherwise
variation in the terminals will generate more noise than the voltage
drop measurement in the shunt wire you're looking for, and it removes
the risk of the shunt wire terminal failing such that the shunt drops
out and everything passes though your sense circuit (for a millisecond
or so until it burns out).

--
Andrew Gabriel