Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default How should/can I choose the right bed mattress type?

Hi all,
How should/can I choose the right bed mattress type?

I bought a Memory foam mattress and a year later it still gives me a
stiff back every morning
I normally get up early because of it!
I do not mind buying another type of mattress but a few minutes trying
one in a shop will not really tell me much will it?
Mick.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Often the issue is either your back or even the pillows. Its not as simple
as it seems.
Might be worth seeing somone about your back.
Brian

--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
"Mick" wrote in message
news
Hi all,
How should/can I choose the right bed mattress type?

I bought a Memory foam mattress and a year later it still gives me a
stiff back every morning
I normally get up early because of it!
I do not mind buying another type of mattress but a few minutes trying
one in a shop will not really tell me much will it?
Mick.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/12/2012 06:56, Mick wrote:
Hi all,
How should/can I choose the right bed mattress type?

I bought a Memory foam mattress and a year later it still gives me a
stiff back every morning
I normally get up early because of it!
I do not mind buying another type of mattress but a few minutes trying
one in a shop will not really tell me much will it?
Mick.

I've never found the answer either, having bought a number of beds and
mattresses over the past 40-odd years.

We find our memory foam (Which best buy, forget the make ATM) a
significant improvement over a relatively expensive pocketed spring,
although it's not perfect. I often sleep better in hotels (on business)
than at home; not necessarily after a large well lubricated meal.
Possibly not having to share?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/12/2012 06:56, Mick wrote:
Hi all,
How should/can I choose the right bed mattress type?

I bought a Memory foam mattress and a year later it still gives me a
stiff back every morning
I normally get up early because of it!
I do not mind buying another type of mattress but a few minutes trying
one in a shop will not really tell me much will it?
Mick.

We have for various reasons needed to visit and re-visit buying
mattresses over the past ten years or so.

We decided against memory foam largely on the basis of them being too
warm - at least in summer.

Ended up every time with one or other Millbrook product with pocket
springs. The only relative disappointment was a non-turn mattress - a
silly idea which seemed to have been designed either to save materials
(only putting full padding on one side of the mattress) or to address
the difficulty of turning a full king-size mattress on your own. Even
that was very comfortable.

But absolutely agreed - it is impossible in the shop. All you can do is
lie as long as possible and try to think yourself into a night on it.

We only have sprung slat bases - not interior sprung so the mattress has
to provide virtually all the comfort.

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 20 Dec 2012 06:56:02 +0000, Mick wrote:

Hi all,
How should/can I choose the right bed mattress type?

I bought a Memory foam mattress and a year later it still gives me a
stiff back every morning
I normally get up early because of it!
I do not mind buying another type of mattress but a few minutes trying
one in a shop will not really tell me much will it?
Mick.

Ikea has a 6-month scheme under which you can return a matress if it doesn't
suit you. The matress has to be clean, so I bought Ikea's waterproof cover
as well, and undamaged.
Ikea's mattresses aren't the same sizes as 'ours', so it's worth checking
the site for sizes and terms.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/12/2012 12:05, PeterC wrote:
On Thu, 20 Dec 2012 06:56:02 +0000, Mick wrote:

Hi all,
How should/can I choose the right bed mattress type?

I bought a Memory foam mattress and a year later it still gives me a
stiff back every morning
I normally get up early because of it!
I do not mind buying another type of mattress but a few minutes trying
one in a shop will not really tell me much will it?
Mick.

Ikea has a 6-month scheme under which you can return a matress if it doesn't
suit you. The matress has to be clean, so I bought Ikea's waterproof cover
as well, and undamaged.
Ikea's mattresses aren't the same sizes as 'ours', so it's worth checking
the site for sizes and terms.

I have a feeling some are available in UK sizes now.

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 20 Dec 2012 12:05:30 +0000
PeterC wrote:

On Thu, 20 Dec 2012 06:56:02 +0000, Mick wrote:

Hi all,
How should/can I choose the right bed mattress type?

I bought a Memory foam mattress and a year later it still gives me
a stiff back every morning
I normally get up early because of it!
I do not mind buying another type of mattress but a few minutes
trying one in a shop will not really tell me much will it?
Mick.

Ikea has a 6-month scheme under which you can return a matress if it
doesn't suit you. The matress has to be clean, so I bought Ikea's
waterproof cover as well, and undamaged.
Ikea's mattresses aren't the same sizes as 'ours', so it's worth
checking the site for sizes and terms.

That implies that a mattress you buy at IKEA might have already had six
months use by somebody else. Hmmm.
--
Davey.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

PeterC wrote:

On Thu, 20 Dec 2012 06:56:02 +0000, Mick wrote:

Hi all,
How should/can I choose the right bed mattress type?

I bought a Memory foam mattress and a year later it still gives me
a stiff back every morning
I normally get up early because of it!
I do not mind buying another type of mattress but a few minutes
trying one in a shop will not really tell me much will it?
Mick.

Ikea has a 6-month scheme under which you can return a matress if it
doesn't suit you. The matress has to be clean, so I bought Ikea's
waterproof cover as well, and undamaged.
Ikea's mattresses aren't the same sizes as 'ours', so it's worth
checking the site for sizes and terms.

That implies that a mattress you buy at IKEA might have already had six
months use by somebody else. Hmmm.

That did cross my mind. The one delivered hadn't, as there was no sign of
any use. Perhaps they're sent elsewhere.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
Posted to uk.d-i-y
djc djc is offline

On 21/12/12 07:32, PeterC wrote:
On Thu, 20 Dec 2012 14:44:54 +0000, Davey wrote:

That implies that a mattress you buy at IKEA might have already had six
months use by somebody else. Hmmm.

That did cross my mind. The one delivered hadn't, as there was no sign of
any use. Perhaps they're sent elsewhere.

Probably means they appear at Sale time at a much reduced price.

--
djc

Posted to uk.d-i-y

PeterC wrote:

On Thu, 20 Dec 2012 06:56:02 +0000, Mick wrote:

Hi all,
How should/can I choose the right bed mattress type?

I bought a Memory foam mattress and a year later it still gives me
a stiff back every morning
I normally get up early because of it!
I do not mind buying another type of mattress but a few minutes
trying one in a shop will not really tell me much will it?
Mick.

Ikea has a 6-month scheme under which you can return a matress if it
doesn't suit you. The matress has to be clean, so I bought Ikea's
waterproof cover as well, and undamaged.
Ikea's mattresses aren't the same sizes as 'ours', so it's worth
checking the site for sizes and terms.

That implies that a mattress you buy at IKEA might have already had six
months use by somebody else. Hmmm.

They claim that 10% of Europeans are now conceived on an Ikea
mattress... makes you think, if you get that one, its going to be soggy
at best ;-))

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

PeterC wrote:

[...]

Now that is family planning! I wonder how it's transported so quickly.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
Posted to uk.d-i-y

o.uk...
PeterC wrote:

[...]

Is there some strange quirk here that makes this a better claim than simply:

10% of Europeans sleep on an IKEA mattress?

(which TBH doesn't sound like a big deal)

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

tim..... wrote:

"John Rumm" wrote:

They claim that 10% of Europeans are now conceived on an Ikea mattress...

Is there some strange quirk here that makes this a better claim than simply:
10% of Europeans sleep on an IKEA mattress?

The tacit implication that people who shop at IKEA still get laid?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/12/2012 11:17, tim..... wrote:

o.uk...
PeterC wrote:

[...]

Yeah, the joke does not work that way ;-)

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

PeterC wrote:

[...]

I find that hard to believe, the shops are always so busy. No privacy at
all. ;-)

Tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 21 Dec 2012 22:17:15 +0000, John Rumm wrote:

They claim that 10% of Europeans are now conceived on an Ikea
mattress... makes you think, if you get that one, its going to be soggy
at best ;-))

Eyewwww, too much information.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On Thu, 20 Dec 2012 06:56:02 +0000, Mick wrote:

Hi all,
How should/can I choose the right bed mattress type?

I bought a Memory foam mattress and a year later it still gives me a
stiff back every morning
I normally get up early because of it!
I do not mind buying another type of mattress but a few minutes trying
one in a shop will not really tell me much will it?
Mick.

Ikea has a 6-month scheme under which you can return a matress if it doesn't
suit you. The matress has to be clean, so I bought Ikea's waterproof cover
as well, and undamaged.
Ikea's mattresses aren't the same sizes as 'ours', so it's worth checking
the site for sizes and terms.

Having used hotel standard pocket sprung mattresses for many years we
looked around for something slightly less firm last year. From
recommendations we bought Ikea's pocket sprung with integrated memory
foam top. It is very, very good. I have an iffy back, hence the
previous really firm mattresses but have no problems with this
mattress. I consider it to be a very sound investment.
http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/pr...695/#/20156689
--
rbel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , rbel says...

Having used hotel standard pocket sprung mattresses for many years we
looked around for something slightly less firm last year. From
recommendations we bought Ikea's pocket sprung with integrated memory
foam top. It is very, very good. I have an iffy back, hence the
previous really firm mattresses but have no problems with this
mattress. I consider it to be a very sound investment.
http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/pr...695/#/20156689

You forgot to state whether you're a six foot bloke weighing 22 stone,
or a 5 foot woman weighing seven stone.

What suits one person doesn't suit another.

Of course, if you're a 6 ft 22 stone bloke married to a 5 ft 7 stone
woman (or vice versa)...

--
Sam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 20 Dec 2012 21:59:04 -0000, Sam Plusnet wrote:

In article , rbel says...

Having used hotel standard pocket sprung mattresses for many years we
looked around for something slightly less firm last year. From
recommendations we bought Ikea's pocket sprung with integrated memory
foam top. It is very, very good. I have an iffy back, hence the
previous really firm mattresses but have no problems with this
mattress. I consider it to be a very sound investment.
http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/pr...695/#/20156689

You forgot to state whether you're a six foot bloke weighing 22 stone,
or a 5 foot woman weighing seven stone.

What suits one person doesn't suit another.

Of course, if you're a 6 ft 22 stone bloke married to a 5 ft 7 stone
woman (or vice versa)...

Both of us are boringly average.

A good pocket sprung mattress should be able to cope with a wide range
of weight distribution and variance in weight across its width without
it impacting on either occupant of a double bed.
--
rbel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 20 Dec 2012 21:59:04 -0000, Sam Plusnet wrote:

In article , rbel says...

Having used hotel standard pocket sprung mattresses for many years we
looked around for something slightly less firm last year. From
recommendations we bought Ikea's pocket sprung with integrated memory
foam top. It is very, very good. I have an iffy back, hence the
previous really firm mattresses but have no problems with this
mattress. I consider it to be a very sound investment.
http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/pr...695/#/20156689

You forgot to state whether you're a six foot bloke weighing 22 stone,
or a 5 foot woman weighing seven stone.

What suits one person doesn't suit another.

Of course, if you're a 6 ft 22 stone bloke married to a 5 ft 7 stone
woman (or vice versa)...

Ikea has extensive guides for this purpose. I went for one that's slightly
softer than my old one, as it's not too difficult to firm it up a bit.
When I was looking on various sites, most mattresses forbad sitting on the
edge of them - bloody daft IMO - but Ikea tests its mattresses to check that
the edge can take weight. Where else would I sit to put me sockses on!
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/12/2012 12:05, PeterC wrote:
On Thu, 20 Dec 2012 06:56:02 +0000, Mick wrote:

Hi all,
How should/can I choose the right bed mattress type?

I bought a Memory foam mattress and a year later it still gives me a
stiff back every morning
I normally get up early because of it!
I do not mind buying another type of mattress but a few minutes trying
one in a shop will not really tell me much will it?
Mick.

Ikea has a 6-month scheme under which you can return a matress if it doesn't
suit you. The matress has to be clean, so I bought Ikea's waterproof cover
as well, and undamaged.
Ikea's mattresses aren't the same sizes as 'ours', so it's worth checking
the site for sizes and terms.

The signs in Ikea's Wembley store today said 90-days rather than 6
months - and only applied to Sultan range. (Are any not Sultan? - wasn't
looking at beds at all so did not take any notice.)

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 21 Dec 2012 17:24:43 +0000, polygonum wrote:

[...]

Sorry - that's right, 3 months. Still, better than nothing.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Mick" wrote in message
news
Hi all,
How should/can I choose the right bed mattress type?

I bought a Memory foam mattress and a year later it still gives me a
stiff back every morning
I normally get up early because of it!
I do not mind buying another type of mattress but a few minutes trying
one in a shop will not really tell me much will it?

One thing to consider is a water bed.
I find that this is far more comfortable than a traditional mattress and
warm in winter, cool in sumer.

Most people seem to go for soft sided ones these days (had one, didn't like
it) but I prefer a hard sided water bed.

You can try these in the shops - when I tried one it was an instant
'Aaaahhhhh' of relief as my back stretched out and relaxed.

Cheers

Dave R
[Not even bunny]

Helmuth von Moltke the Elder

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mick wrote:
Hi all,
How should/can I choose the right bed mattress type?

I bought a Memory foam mattress and a year later it still gives me a
stiff back every morning
I normally get up early because of it!
I do not mind buying another type of mattress but a few minutes trying
one in a shop will not really tell me much will it?
Mick.

We have just completed purchase of several mattresses. After comparing
prices and quality across several suppliers we ordered bespoke mattresses
from a local supplier. These are incredibly comfortable and cost less than
mattresses from Ikea.

Shop around and don't ignore specialist suppliers.

--
€˘DarWin|
_/ _/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/12/2012 15:55, Steve Firth wrote:
Mick wrote:
Hi all,
How should/can I choose the right bed mattress type?

I bought a Memory foam mattress and a year later it still gives me a
stiff back every morning
I normally get up early because of it!
I do not mind buying another type of mattress but a few minutes trying
one in a shop will not really tell me much will it?
Mick.

We have just completed purchase of several mattresses. After comparing
prices and quality across several suppliers we ordered bespoke mattresses
from a local supplier. These are incredibly comfortable and cost less than
mattresses from Ikea.

Shop around and don't ignore specialist suppliers.

I find that good mattresses cost a fortune, but are well worth it. We
have a Vi-Spring, in no way is it a soft mattress, but we find it
extremely comfortable, No children conceived yet, but not surprised, if
there were we would make the front page of the Sun, as the oldest couple
to have a child, perish the thought!

--
Remember the early bird may catch the worm but the second mouse gets the
cheese.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22 Dec 2012 10:42:10 GMT, Huge wrote:

I really liked the bed at the Novotel Sheffield I stayed in a couple of weeks
ago. I wonder if I can find out where they got them from?

Possibly Hypnos who do a good hotel range, although I an not sure that
Novotel would pay their prices. Try contacting the hotel and ask to
speak with the duty manager or drop them an email.
--
rbel