Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default 2D bulb question

Need to replenish my stocks, but confused to find I can get 2 pin in 16
or 28W, and 4 pin in 16/21/28/38/55 watt.

Am I right in thinking there just two physical sizes: 2 pin about 14 cm
across and 4 pin about 20 cm across, or are there maybe more sizes?
Don't want to order 38s only to find they won't fit in my light fittings.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/12/2012 21:19, newshound wrote:
Need to replenish my stocks, but confused to find I can get 2 pin in 16
or 28W, and 4 pin in 16/21/28/38/55 watt.

Am I right in thinking there just two physical sizes: 2 pin about 14 cm
across and 4 pin about 20 cm across, or are there maybe more sizes?
Don't want to order 38s only to find they won't fit in my light fittings.

Oops just found data sheet on TLC (how did I miss that first time I
looked?). Confusingly Compton (at least) do 2 and 4 pin in both sizes.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Dec 19, 9:33*pm, newshound wrote:
On 19/12/2012 21:19, newshound wrote:

Need to replenish my stocks, but confused to find I can get 2 pin in 16
or 28W, and 4 pin in 16/21/28/38/55 watt.

Am I right in thinking there just two physical sizes: 2 pin about 14 cm
across and 4 pin about 20 cm across, or are there maybe more sizes?
Don't want to order 38s only to find they won't fit in my light fittings.

Oops just found data sheet on TLC (how did I miss that first time I
looked?). Confusingly Compton (at least) do 2 and 4 pin in both sizes.

The four pin tubes are just conventional fluorescent tubes bent up. ie
from days of yore. I expect they will be phased out at some point.

The two pin ones incorporate the starting gear in them, ie they are
equivalent to a CFL
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article om,
newshound writes:
On 19/12/2012 21:19, newshound wrote:
Need to replenish my stocks, but confused to find I can get 2 pin in 16
or 28W, and 4 pin in 16/21/28/38/55 watt.

Am I right in thinking there just two physical sizes: 2 pin about 14 cm
across and 4 pin about 20 cm across, or are there maybe more sizes?
Don't want to order 38s only to find they won't fit in my light fittings.

Oops just found data sheet on TLC (how did I miss that first time I
looked?). Confusingly Compton (at least) do 2 and 4 pin in both sizes.

They're all available in 2-pin and 4-pin versions (and you missed 10W,
although it's getting rare now).

2-pin is for series mains ballast and has a starter hidden in the lamp
base. 4-pin is for electronic ballasts.

16W and 21W are same overall size, but different tube diameter.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

on 20/12/2012, Andrew Gabriel supposed :
2-pin is for series mains ballast and has a starter hidden in the lamp
base. 4-pin is for electronic ballasts.

4-pin are also used with standard starters and ballasts.

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Harry Bloomfield writes:
on 20/12/2012, Andrew Gabriel supposed :
2-pin is for series mains ballast and has a starter hidden in the lamp
base. 4-pin is for electronic ballasts.

4-pin are also used with standard starters and ballasts.

They can in theory, but that was the whole point of the 2-pin type,
which reduces the luminare and maintenance cost in this simple case.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article om,
newshound writes:
Need to replenish my stocks, but confused to find I can get 2 pin in 16
or 28W, and 4 pin in 16/21/28/38/55 watt.

Am I right in thinking there just two physical sizes: 2 pin about 14 cm
across and 4 pin about 20 cm across, or are there maybe more sizes?
Don't want to order 38s only to find they won't fit in my light fittings.

You need to order the ones which match the power rating of the ballast,
not the physical size. The ballast determines the power the lamps run
at. You can't just stick in a bigger one or smaller one (it might work,
but it might give significantly reduced tube life and/or overheat the
ballast). Obviously, also needs to match the 2-pin or 4-pin fitting too.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/12/2012 11:10, Andrew Gabriel wrote:
In article om,
newshound writes:
Need to replenish my stocks, but confused to find I can get 2 pin in 16
or 28W, and 4 pin in 16/21/28/38/55 watt.

Am I right in thinking there just two physical sizes: 2 pin about 14 cm
across and 4 pin about 20 cm across, or are there maybe more sizes?
Don't want to order 38s only to find they won't fit in my light fittings.

You need to order the ones which match the power rating of the ballast,
not the physical size. The ballast determines the power the lamps run
at. You can't just stick in a bigger one or smaller one (it might work,
but it might give significantly reduced tube life and/or overheat the
ballast). Obviously, also needs to match the 2-pin or 4-pin fitting too.

Thanks, will check ballasts before fitting anything. Local DIY shop just
stocks one wattage for each size (and is expensive).
Posted to uk.d-i-y

newshound writes:
Need to replenish my stocks, but confused to find I can get 2 pin in 16
or 28W, and 4 pin in 16/21/28/38/55 watt.

Am I right in thinking there just two physical sizes: 2 pin about 14 cm
across and 4 pin about 20 cm across, or are there maybe more sizes?
Don't want to order 38s only to find they won't fit in my light fittings.

You need to order the ones which match the power rating of the ballast,
not the physical size. The ballast determines the power the lamps run
at. You can't just stick in a bigger one or smaller one (it might work,
but it might give significantly reduced tube life and/or overheat the
ballast). Obviously, also needs to match the 2-pin or 4-pin fitting too.

Thanks, will check ballasts before fitting anything. Local DIY shop just
stocks one wattage for each size (and is expensive).

B&Q stock both the 16W and 21W, although they are now energy saving
versions (GE Wattmiser) which run slightly underpower.

The original 2D lamps don't meet future EU requirements for energy
efficiency of fluorescent lamps, and I presume these have been
introduced in order to keep 2D lamps available.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/12/2012 12:26, Andrew Gabriel wrote:

B&Q stock both the 16W and 21W, although they are now energy saving
versions (GE Wattmiser) which run slightly underpower.

Normally my shed of last resort, but when I get round to getting an "Old
Fart's Wednesday" card I suppose I might use them more.

The original 2D lamps don't meet future EU requirements for energy
efficiency of fluorescent lamps, and I presume these have been
introduced in order to keep 2D lamps available.

Not mad on 2D, but I quite like the Screwfix "glass dome" luminaire for
kitchens. Shallow, reasonably bright, easy to clean, design which
doesn't really date.

DLP Bulb Replacement Question Chris F.[_2_] Electronics Repair 11 July 26th 08 01:49 AM
Light bulb question Paul O. Home Repair 20 May 30th 07 06:07 AM
Another BULB question N. Thornton UK diy 0 January 6th 05 02:08 AM
Another BULB question PhilÅ UK diy 13 January 5th 05 11:19 PM
Florescent Bulb question Alan Beagley Home Repair 2 November 6th 03 09:17 PM