Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Light bulb question

In our kitchen we have two ceiling light fixtures with 60 watt max. labeled
on the fixture. I presume this is for the heat. I'm wondering if in those
fixtures one can use a 100 watt flourescent screw in like the ones at Lowes
and other places. Thanks.

--
Paul O.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Paul O." wrote in message
t...
In our kitchen we have two ceiling light fixtures with 60 watt max.
labeled on the fixture. I presume this is for the heat. I'm wondering if
in those fixtures one can use a 100 watt flourescent screw in like the
ones at Lowes and other places. Thanks.

Depends on the fixture style. Many of the CFs are to be used with open type
fixtures with shades, not one that has a cover enclosing the bulb.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Paul O. wrote:
In our kitchen we have two ceiling light fixtures with 60 watt max.
labeled on the fixture. I presume this is for the heat. I'm wondering
if in those fixtures one can use a 100 watt flourescent screw in like
the ones at Lowes and other places. Thanks.

First I assume that you are talking about a lamp labeled as having the
same light output as a 100 W lamp and not a 100W fluorescent lamp. :-)

Most will work fine, just keep the total wattage (not equivalent light
output) below the fixture's rating. Some CF are not rated for enclosed
fixtures so you will want to check on that for the specific lamp you are
using.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia 's Muire duit

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in
t:

"Paul O." wrote in message
t...
In our kitchen we have two ceiling light fixtures with 60 watt max.
labeled on the fixture. I presume this is for the heat. I'm wondering
if in those fixtures one can use a 100 watt flourescent screw in like
the ones at Lowes and other places. Thanks.

Depends on the fixture style. Many of the CFs are to be used with open
type fixtures with shades, not one that has a cover enclosing the
bulb.

Some CFs are position sensitive,too;marked
"use in vertical position only."

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Posted to alt.home.repair

I just installed some Copper lighting Halo`` (new construction, insulated
construction) fixtures, and the wattages that can be used were dependant on
the numerous baffles available. There were about 10 options, with colours,
rings, mirrored, inset, eyeball, extended, swivelling, water proof, etc.
options. It depends on the baffle. Some baffles are almost identical,
looking identical, but for an extra 50% in price, I think the overall
thickness of the plastic was literally a few hundred-thousandths of an inch
thicker. However, wrt the CF vs. std. bulb characteristics, and heat, I do
not know. I am now more attuned to the ratings of fixtures and electricity
in general - the heat is pretty freakin serious.

"Paul O." wrote in message
t...
In our kitchen we have two ceiling light fixtures with 60 watt max.
labeled on the fixture. I presume this is for the heat. I'm wondering if
in those fixtures one can use a 100 watt flourescent screw in like the
ones at Lowes and other places. Thanks.

--
Paul O.

Posted to alt.home.repair

whoops, a few ``hundredths`` of an inch thicker.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Jim Yanik" wrote in message

"Paul O." wrote in message
t...
In our kitchen we have two ceiling light fixtures with 60 watt max.
labeled on the fixture. I presume this is for the heat. I'm wondering
if in those fixtures one can use a 100 watt flourescent screw in like
the ones at Lowes and other places. Thanks.

Depends on the fixture style. Many of the CFs are to be used with open
type fixtures with shades, not one that has a cover enclosing the
bulb.

Some CFs are position sensitive,too;marked
"use in vertical position only."

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
at
kua.net

Yes, I noticed that today while looking at the 100 watters at Lowes, hadn't
noticed it before. We currently have a 60 watt equivelent in each fixture.
The wife complains it's too dark in there.

--
Paul O.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Paul O." wrote in message
Yes, I noticed that today while looking at the 100 watters at Lowes,
hadn't noticed it before. We currently have a 60 watt equivelent in each
fixture. The wife complains it's too dark in there.

I've always disliked the color of the light from CF because everything had a
greenish cast to it. Consequently, I don't use but two of them. I was in a
place last week that had them and the light was a very white, almost
daylight color. No one knew what brand they were but I'd much rather use
them as it was much more natural and brighter looking.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 27, 10:57 pm, "Edwin Pawlowski" wrote:
"Paul O." wrote in message
Yes, I noticed that today while looking at the 100 watters at Lowes,
hadn't noticed it before. We currently have a 60 watt equivelent in each
fixture. The wife complains it's too dark in there.

I've always disliked the color of the light from CF because everything had a
greenish cast to it. Consequently, I don't use but two of them. I was in a
place last week that had them and the light was a very white, almost
daylight color. No one knew what brand they were but I'd much rather use
them as it was much more natural and brighter looking.

Edwin they are called Daylight CFs. Most stores have them now.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 27 May 2007 10:33:08 -0700, "Paul O."
wrote:

In our kitchen we have two ceiling light fixtures with 60 watt max. labeled
on the fixture. I presume this is for the heat. I'm wondering if in those
fixtures one can use a 100 watt flourescent screw in like the ones at Lowes
and other places. Thanks.

A 60 watt lamp of any kind will generate 60 watts of heat.
A 100 watt lamp of any kind will generate 100 watts of heat.
Use a 60 watt fluorescent lamp, provided there is no dimmer on the
circuit.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Phisherman" wrote in message

A 60 watt lamp of any kind will generate 60 watts of heat.
A 100 watt lamp of any kind will generate 100 watts of heat.
Use a 60 watt fluorescent lamp, provided there is no dimmer on the
circuit.

For years we used "Watts" to talk about relative brightness of bulbs, With
new technologies, we should probably use Lumens. The ration of Watts?Lumens
varies considerably. My guess is that the OP is talking about an
equivalent, but we don't know that.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

In our kitchen we have two ceiling light fixtures with 60 watt max.
labeled on the fixture. I presume this is for the heat. I'm
wondering if in those fixtures one can use a 100 watt flourescent
screw in like the ones at Lowes and other places. Thanks.

A 60 watt lamp of any kind will generate 60 watts of heat.
A 100 watt lamp of any kind will generate 100 watts of heat.

Overall that is true, but the heat in the fixture is only 60 watts less
the light that exits the fixture.

Use a 60 watt fluorescent lamp, provided there is no dimmer on the
circuit.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia 's Muire duit

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote:

"Phisherman" wrote in message

A 60 watt lamp of any kind will generate 60 watts of heat.
A 100 watt lamp of any kind will generate 100 watts of heat.
Use a 60 watt fluorescent lamp, provided there is no dimmer on the
circuit.

For years we used "Watts" to talk about relative brightness of bulbs, With
new technologies, we should probably use Lumens. The ration of Watts?Lumens
varies considerably.

My guess is that the OP is talking about an
equivalent, but we don't know that.

I think that's a safe guess. I've never seen a CF that actually draws
100 watts. Maybe they exist, but they aren't hanging around the standard
light bulb aisle at Lowe's. OP, you have my blessing to screw in a CF
that puts out an equivalent amount of light to a 100 watt incandescent.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Smitty Two" wrote in message
news
In article ,
"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote:

"Phisherman" wrote in message

A 60 watt lamp of any kind will generate 60 watts of heat.
A 100 watt lamp of any kind will generate 100 watts of heat.
Use a 60 watt fluorescent lamp, provided there is no dimmer on the
circuit.

For years we used "Watts" to talk about relative brightness of bulbs,
With
new technologies, we should probably use Lumens. The ration of
Watts?Lumens
varies considerably.

My guess is that the OP is talking about an
equivalent, but we don't know that.

I think that's a safe guess. I've never seen a CF that actually draws
100 watts. Maybe they exist, but they aren't hanging around the standard
light bulb aisle at Lowe's. OP, you have my blessing to screw in a CF
that puts out an equivalent amount of light to a 100 watt incandescent.

Yeh, that's what I meant. Thanks.

--
Paul O.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

In our kitchen we have two ceiling light fixtures with 60 watt max.
labeled on the fixture. I presume this is for the heat. I'm
wondering if in those fixtures one can use a 100 watt flourescent
screw in like the ones at Lowes and other places. Thanks.

A 60 watt lamp of any kind will generate 60 watts of heat.
A 100 watt lamp of any kind will generate 100 watts of heat.

Overall that is true, but the heat in the fixture is only 60 watts less
the light that exits the fixture.

Also on the heat radiated out of the fixture. Was included in a thread
on this newsgroup March:
http://tinyurl.com/2yvwgg
particularly Don Klipstein and Victor Roberts (both lighting experts)
The the heat from an incandescent radiates better than the heat from a
CFL because of the wavelengths.

And in another thread Don had recommendations for maximum wattage for
CFLs in a 60W fixtu
http://tinyurl.com/3bqum6

Regarding color in a post by Edwin, Don has recommendations on that too:
http://tinyurl.com/243c2b
including brands.

--
bud--
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

In our kitchen we have two ceiling light fixtures with 60 watt max. labeled
on the fixture. I presume this is for the heat. I'm wondering if in those
fixtures one can use a 100 watt flourescent screw in like the ones at Lowes
and other places. Thanks.

A 60 watt lamp of any kind will generate 60 watts of heat.
A 100 watt lamp of any kind will generate 100 watts of heat.
Use a 60 watt fluorescent lamp, provided there is no dimmer on the
circuit.

Well that's not true. The key is that the CF converts more of the
electricity into light instead of heat, hence being more energy
efficient.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In , Edwin Pawlowski said:

"Paul O." wrote in message
Yes, I noticed that today while looking at the 100 watters at Lowes,
hadn't noticed it before. We currently have a 60 watt equivelent in each
fixture. The wife complains it's too dark in there.

I've always disliked the color of the light from CF because everything had a
greenish cast to it. Consequently, I don't use but two of them. I was in a
place last week that had them and the light was a very white, almost
daylight color. No one knew what brand they were but I'd much rather use
them as it was much more natural and brighter looking.

If you find CFs greenish, then I think you would like most of the
Sylvanias - many of which are available at Lowes. I find Sylvania in
recent years to be "erring to purplish-pinkish" (opposite of greenish).

If you mix CFs and incandescents, you will usually see some color
difference of one kind or another. If you mix different brands and/or
models of CFs, you may see a color difference among them.

- Don Klipstein )
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Paul O." wrote in message
Yes, I noticed that today while looking at the 100 watters at Lowes,
hadn't noticed it before. We currently have a 60 watt equivelent in each
fixture. The wife complains it's too dark in there.

I've always disliked the color of the light from CF because everything had a
greenish cast to it. Consequently, I don't use but two of them. I was in a
place last week that had them and the light was a very white, almost
daylight color. No one knew what brand they were but I'd much rather use
them as it was much more natural and brighter looking.

Edwin they are called Daylight CFs. Most stores have them now.

Other than the Sylvania CFs (actually what I would call "semi-warm
white"), "Daylight" fluorescents are icy cold pure white to slightly
bluish white that most find causing a "dreary" effect at typical home
lighting levels.

What I think are good are 3500K, "whiter shade of warm white":
Sylvania's "daylight" CFs (Lowes), and N:Vision "Bright White" (Home
Depot). There are others, but these are the main retail-available
ones with screw bases.

- Don Klipstein )
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

In our kitchen we have two ceiling light fixtures with 60 watt max. labeled
on the fixture. I presume this is for the heat. I'm wondering if in those
fixtures one can use a 100 watt flourescent screw in like the ones at Lowes
and other places. Thanks.

A 60 watt lamp of any kind will generate 60 watts of heat.
A 100 watt lamp of any kind will generate 100 watts of heat.
Use a 60 watt fluorescent lamp, provided there is no dimmer on the
circuit.

I had a 42 watt compact fluorescent (150 watt incandescent equivalent)
heat up a fixture slightly more than a 60 watt incandescent does.
The reason: CFs produce little infrared, which mostly escapes the
fixture. CFs have their main output other than visible light being
convected/conducted heat.

A 60 watt incandescent will heat your home more than a 42 watt CF will,
but these are fairly equal at heating the fixture.

Keep in mind that if heat builds up around the ballast section of a CF,
CFs of more than maybe 19 watts (75 watt incandescent equivalent) can
easily have shortened life in a fixture rated for 60 watt incandescent.
Mainly in downlights and small enclosed fixtures.

For that matter, there is even such a thing as CFs rated specifically to
take the thermal punishment of recessed ceiling fixtures (Example -
Philips SLS non-dimmable up to 23 watts).

- Don Klipstein )

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

In our kitchen we have two ceiling light fixtures with 60 watt max. labeled
on the fixture. I presume this is for the heat. I'm wondering if in those
fixtures one can use a 100 watt flourescent screw in like the ones at Lowes
and other places. Thanks.

A 60 watt lamp of any kind will generate 60 watts of heat.
A 100 watt lamp of any kind will generate 100 watts of heat.
Use a 60 watt fluorescent lamp, provided there is no dimmer on the
circuit.

Well that's not true. The key is that the CF converts more of the
electricity into light instead of heat, hence being more energy
efficient.

Except for what gets through the windows, the light becomes heat.
Generally, all lightbulbs are close to 100% efficient at heating your
home. If you are not trying to heat your home or if you are heating your
home with heating more economical then electric resistive heating, then
you want more efficient lighting.

As for heating of the fixtu This gets different. Incandescents
produce a lot of infrared, which largely avoids heating the fixture
although this heats your home. CFs have their "waste" being mainly
convected/conducted heat, which impacts the fixture more on its way to
heating your home.

I had an 8 inch globe warm up slightly more with a 42 watt CF than with
a 60 watt incandescent.

Furthermore, CFs are less tolerant of heat than incandescents are. In a
small enclosed fixture or a downlight rated for 60 watt max incandescent,
23 watt CF may be pushing things if it's not something good in such places
like non-dimmable Philips SLS. Otherwise 15-19 watts or so CF (60-75 watt
incandescent equivalent) could be the most that does not have life
shortened a lot by the heat.

- Don Klipstein )