PhilÅ

Default Another BULB question

A while back I posted about a fitting I had and as a standard light bulb was
not giving off much light could I find a alternative.

The rating is a max 60W fitting, so I was looking for a bulb size florescent
one. Have found a 30w what which may do but I have to measure up first.

But the question is, I saw some 240V halogen normal size bulbs??. Will they
give off more light than a standard bulb with the same rating??. Will they
generate more/less/same heat as a standard bulb??

Thanks.
Phil

Mike

"PhilÅ" wrote in message
A while back I posted about a fitting I had and as a standard light bulb

was
not giving off much light could I find a alternative.

The rating is a max 60W fitting, so I was looking for a bulb size

florescent
one. Have found a 30w what which may do but I have to measure up first.

But the question is, I saw some 240V halogen normal size bulbs??. Will

they
give off more light than a standard bulb with the same rating??. Will they
generate more/less/same heat as a standard bulb??

To a first approximation the same heat as a standard bulb

PhilÅ

"Mike" wrote in message

"PhilÅ" wrote in message
A while back I posted about a fitting I had and as a standard light bulb

was
not giving off much light could I find a alternative.

The rating is a max 60W fitting, so I was looking for a bulb size

florescent
one. Have found a 30w what which may do but I have to measure up first.

But the question is, I saw some 240V halogen normal size bulbs??. Will

they
give off more light than a standard bulb with the same rating??. Will
they
generate more/less/same heat as a standard bulb??

To a first approximation the same heat as a standard bulb

So if the same heat, must be the same light. So they just last longer than a
normal bulb??

PhilÅ

"PhilÅ" wrote in message
A while back I posted about a fitting I had and as a standard light bulb
was not giving off much light could I find a alternative.

The rating is a max 60W fitting, so I was looking for a bulb size
florescent one. Have found a 30w what which may do but I have to measure
up first.

But the question is, I saw some 240V halogen normal size bulbs??. Will
they give off more light than a standard bulb with the same rating??. Will
they generate more/less/same heat as a standard bulb??

Thanks.
Phil

Ok probably go for the same wattage halogens

Do they give off more heat than a standard bulb?? 240Volt halogens??

The Natural Philosopher

PhilÅ wrote:

"PhilÅ" wrote in message

A while back I posted about a fitting I had and as a standard light bulb
was not giving off much light could I find a alternative.

The rating is a max 60W fitting, so I was looking for a bulb size
florescent one. Have found a 30w what which may do but I have to measure
up first.

But the question is, I saw some 240V halogen normal size bulbs??. Will
they give off more light than a standard bulb with the same rating??. Will
they generate more/less/same heat as a standard bulb??

Thanks.
Phil

Ok probably go for the same wattage halogens

Do they give off more heat than a standard bulb?? 240Volt halogens??

No. Possibly slightly less.
They are a tad more efficient.

Andrew Gabriel

In article ,
"PhilÅ" writes:

"Mike" wrote in message

"PhilÅ" wrote in message
A while back I posted about a fitting I had and as a standard light bulb

was
not giving off much light could I find a alternative.

The rating is a max 60W fitting, so I was looking for a bulb size

florescent
one. Have found a 30w what which may do but I have to measure up first.

But the question is, I saw some 240V halogen normal size bulbs??. Will

they
give off more light than a standard bulb with the same rating??. Will
they
generate more/less/same heat as a standard bulb??

To a first approximation the same heat as a standard bulb

So if the same heat, must be the same light. So they just last longer than a
normal bulb??

Generally they can be designed to either have a longer life than
a regular bulb or to be brighter (with a sliding scale in between
these extremes). Difference in heat output either way from a
regular bulb is insignificant.

A 30W compact fluorescent is likely to get too hot in a 60W
fitting. The fitting won't come to any harm, but a compact
fluorescent won't be happy running anywhere near the temperature
of a regular bulb and the control gear might not last as long.
A 15W one would probably be similar light output to a 60W lamp,
so you might try a 20W one, or even a 23W one.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Christian McArdle

A 30W compact fluorescent is likely to get too hot in a 60W
fitting.

Even a 30W CFL will give off less heat and last longer than the halogen
bulb. It will also give off approximately double the amount of light after
warm up and probably match it from turn on.

Christian.

To answer the question stated Phil we would have to know the wattage of
the 240V halogen bulb. If it is a 60 watt, then at 240 volts as
opposed to 120v it will burn much dimmer than a standard 60 watt bulb,
but will last about 2 to 3 times longer. So really the only advantage
you're getting with a 240 volt bulb is longer life. The halogen will
generate less heat if it is the same wattage (60 watt) because it is
burning dimmer. Hope that helps!

http://groups-beta.google.com/group/...tions-Answered
http://www.servicelighting.com

Mike

"Andrew Gabriel" wrote in message
A 30W compact fluorescent is likely to get too hot in a 60W
fitting. The fitting won't come to any harm, but a compact
fluorescent won't be happy running anywhere near the temperature
of a regular bulb and the control gear might not last as long.
A 15W one would probably be similar light output to a 60W lamp,
so you might try a 20W one, or even a 23W one.

I think this may depend on which way up the CFL is mounted. As you say,
it's the control gear that will overheat if anything, but if mounted such
that heat can be more easily dissipated it will last longer than if trapped
upside down under a lampshade.

Andrew Gabriel

In article ,
"Mike" writes:

"Andrew Gabriel" wrote in message
Just thought of another idea. The heat comes mainly from the
tube itself and that doesn't mind getting hot. It's the control
gear which doesn't like getting hot. You could adapt the light
to take a remotely ballasted compact fluorescent so the control
gear is away from the source of heat. Also, such lamps are smaller
(as they don't contain control gear) and may fit in the light
better. You'd have to change the lampholder and it can be tricky
obtaining and fitting lampholders for compact fluorescents with
separate control gear.

Is it even legal ? This is high voltage low radio frequency energy and
without shielded cable a remote fitting should cause lots of lovely EMC.

They aren't high voltage, and there's no shielding around the
tube anyway. Remote ballasts are designed for this anyway.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Frank Erskine

On Wed, 5 Jan 2005 22:03:08 -0000, "Mike" wrote:

Is it even legal ? This is high voltage low radio frequency energy and
without shielded cable a remote fitting should cause lots of lovely EMC.

Or rather lack of EMC...

--
Frank Erskine