Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Very helpful supplier

A few weeks/months ago someone fitted a couple of doors here (I have
always been crap at that and time was pressing). Unfortunately they
messed up on the handles. We had bought Urfic handles from Toolstation
(also sold by John Lewis, Wickes and others under various branding and
altered model names). Nothing fancy but fine for our purposes. But when
fitting it, the chippie had to cut down the M4 50mm bolt so it would
fit. (It fits right through from one handle to a sleeve that fits the
other handle. Like some kitchen cabinet connectors.) He cut it to around
42mm - which is really too short. And messed up the thread.

I fettled up the mess but that shortened it even more and so it simply
did not reach the sleeve. Hence replacement needed.

Internet offered up none. Looked like a Hafele product that has been
discontinued and is unavailable.

Phoned Toolstation who answered quickly and helpfully - no they had none
but supplier's number is 01767 nnnnnnn.

Urfic answered on second ring and immediately offered to send not one,
but four. And in the appropriate 45mm length so they do not need to be
cut by me at all. And didn't even mention a charge. And wished a happy
Christmas.

For something that was not exactly top of the range, from a very
competitive supplier, I was very pleased to be treated so well.

http://www.urfic.co.uk/

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 18 Dec 2012 20:17:44 +0000, polygonum wrote:

http://www.urfic.co.uk/

Good to hear that some suppliers still care, pity that to look at their
products on their web site you need flash and javascript.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/12/2012 22:32, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Tue, 18 Dec 2012 20:17:44 +0000, polygonum wrote:

http://www.urfic.co.uk/

Good to hear that some suppliers still care, pity that to look at their
products on their web site you need flash and javascript.

Damn - didn't look at their product pages! I too am sick of flash...

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 18 Dec 2012 22:49:49 +0000, polygonum
wrote:

On 18/12/2012 22:32, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Tue, 18 Dec 2012 20:17:44 +0000, polygonum wrote:

http://www.urfic.co.uk/

Good to hear that some suppliers still care, pity that to look at their
products on their web site you need flash and javascript.

Damn - didn't look at their product pages! I too am sick of flash...

Flash just won't die.
--
(\__/) M.
(")_(") is he still wrong?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Dec 18, 8:17*pm, polygonum wrote:
[...]

I needed a new cutter assemblt for an Avery paper trimmer. Rang the
helpline number on the trimmer "No problem, I'll put on in the post.
No sir, there's no charge".

Companies like that get personal recommendations.

MBQ

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 19 Dec 2012 02:52:51 -0800, Man at B&Q wrote:

On Dec 18, 8:17Â*pm, polygonum wrote:
[...]

Apropos the cat flap thread - Pet Mate are very good at either FOC or
very cheap spares.

--
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 19 Dec 2012 02:52:51 -0800 (PST), "Man at B&Q"
wrote:

[...]

Reminds me when some ancient Blum parts in my Kitchen broke. I phoned
them up on the off-chance I could still get spares and they sent me
the bits FoC. Can't do much better than that.
--
(\__/) M.
(")_(") is he still wrong?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

I needed a new cutter assemblt for an Avery paper trimmer. Rang the
helpline number on the trimmer "No problem, I'll put on in the post.
No sir, there's no charge".

Companies like that get personal recommendations.

I used to have a high opinion of Salter, until I needed one fixed
under warranty. 15 year guarantee and I was sure I'd kept the box and
receipt, as I usually do.
I couldn't find it, and they were inflexible, so stuff them; I'm never
buying another Salter scale.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

polygonum wrote:
[...]

I agree WRT the supplier, but it does sound like you are being harsh on the
joiner here, 'he cut it too short and messed up the thread'
You bought the wrong item in the first place, he was merely trying to help
out.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/12/2012 14:40, Phil L wrote:
polygonum wrote:
[...]

The handles come suitable for a range of door thicknesses with the
expectation that they will need to be cut down for many.

He cut the screws with, it appears, a hacksaw but messed up the thread
for about 5mm from the end so it would not properly screw into the
sleeve. There was a step where one side of the screw was around 2mm
longer than the other side.

Even had he cut it cleanly, he seems to have cut without measuring
properly. Maybe he did not allow for the thickness of the handle
backplate? Or the overlap where the screw needs to be within the sleeve?

Where he cut the square shank (or whatever you call it that connects the
two turning bits), it was at about a 20 degree angle to square.

And he made the holes through the door for the screws in the wrong place
and had to re-do them - so you have a situation where the two holes make
a sort of merged figure-of-eight.

He actually did four of these - and the last one was not too bad. The
first one was a real mess.

And he did not turn round and say "You got the wrong ones. Please get
the right ones."

Yes harsh. But also fair, I think.

--
Rod

Posted to uk.d-i-y

polygonum wrote:
[...]

Ummmm - I think that is why we DIY!!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

polygonum wrote:
[...]

Agreed. But I am still crap at door hanging! Somewhat better at fixing
handles though. :-)

--
Rod

Very helpful. Ret.[_5_] UK diy 15 November 1st 11 06:00 PM
Another helpful tip Leuf Woodworking 5 January 31st 07 12:15 AM
Helpful hints for bbq [email protected] Home Repair 1 May 5th 06 04:02 AM
Helpful Wood Supplier Greg G. Woodworking 3 February 15th 06 07:39 PM
Another (hopefully) helpful tip foggytown Woodworking 6 August 3rd 05 04:50 PM