Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Dust - how does this form?

A book has just fallen down the side of a filing cabinet in the
bedroom - the cabinet has been there for some 20 years, and it became
clear as I poked with a long stick to get the book out of the narrow
gap that a lot of grey almost felt like material had accumulated, some
of it lumps of 100mm x 50.

What actually is this and why does it clump together ? Yes I know
it's dirt/dust - call it what you like but what's the mechanism that
makes it bind ?

Rob
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/12/2012 10:48, robgraham wrote:
A book has just fallen down the side of a filing cabinet in the
bedroom - the cabinet has been there for some 20 years, and it became
clear as I poked with a long stick to get the book out of the narrow
gap that a lot of grey almost felt like material had accumulated, some
of it lumps of 100mm x 50.

What actually is this and why does it clump together ? Yes I know

In a bedroom it will be a mixture of textile fibres and dead skin mostly.

it's dirt/dust - call it what you like but what's the mechanism that
makes it bind ?

The textile fibres mostly I would have though...

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
bod bod is offline

On 12/12/2012 11:00, Brian Gaff wrote:
Electro static attraction maybe?

Damp in the air...

Brian

Possibly dust mites excrement binding the non organic dust together...yuk!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"robgraham" wrote in message
A book has just fallen down the side of a filing cabinet in the
bedroom - the cabinet has been there for some 20 years, and it
became
clear as I poked with a long stick to get the book out of the narrow
gap that a lot of grey almost felt like material had accumulated,
some
of it lumps of 100mm x 50.

What actually is this and why does it clump together ? Yes I know
it's dirt/dust - call it what you like but what's the mechanism that
makes it bind ?

Rob

Most likely it clumps together with sticky silk from spiders.
Wherever there's a gap wide enough to get a stick down, over the
years you can be sure to get plenty of spiders of all sizes eventually
bridging the gap with silk.

Clearing the corners of a room of hammock webs made by phalanges
(daddy long legs) spiders with a long stick its easy to accumulate
a golf ball sized lump of the stuff visible as big lumps of
dust/fluff on the end of the stick just by twirling it around.

michael adams

Posted to uk.d-i-y

michael adams wrote:
wrote in message
[...]

how fairy floss collection was invented?

michael adams

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/12/2012 11:17, michael adams wrote:
"robgraham" wrote in message
[...]

Do daddy long legs make silk?
Are they spiders?

http://insects.about.com/od/noninsec...dylonglegs.htm

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/12/2012 13:07, polygonum wrote:

Do daddy long legs make silk?
Are they spiders?

http://insects.about.com/od/noninsec...dylonglegs.htm

USA?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"robgraham" wrote in message
[...]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pholcus_phalangioides

michael adams

http://insects.about.com/od/noninsec...dylonglegs.htm

--
Rod

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Lee Lee is offline

Just to add to the confusion, I've also heard crane flies* called "daddy
long legs" - due to the way the legs dangle in flight I guess.

Lee

*might just be another peculiarity of this strange Kent town pml

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 12 Dec 2012 13:07:59 +0000, polygonum wrote:

Clearing the corners of a room of hammock webs made by phalanges
(daddy long legs) spiders

Do daddy long legs make silk?
Are they spiders?

Well there seem to be at least three creatures that use the term "Daddy
Long Legs"

Cellar Spiders: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pholcidae
Harvestman: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harvestman
Crane Fly: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crane_fly

Cellar Spiders do produce silk the other two don't.

http://insects.about.com/od/noninsec...dylonglegs.htm

That's a Harvestman.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, December 12, 2012 11:17:37 AM UTC, michael adams wrote:
"robgraham" wrote in message

[...]

Like candy floss but nom as colourful or tastey ;-)

michael adams

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12 Dec, 11:17, "michael adams" wrote:

[...]

They carry sticks now??!!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/12/2012 11:17, michael adams wrote:
Clearing the corners of a room of hammock webs made by phalanges
(daddy long legs) spiders

IIRC phalanges are the bones in your hand (not the fingers, but the
palm) fx googles Phalangiidae?

Andy
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/12/2012 21:00, Andy Champ wrote:
On 12/12/2012 11:17, michael adams wrote:
Clearing the corners of a room of hammock webs made by phalanges
(daddy long legs) spiders

IIRC phalanges are the bones in your hand (not the fingers, but the
palm) fx googles Phalangiidae?

Andy

Phalanges are the fingers of the digits - those of the palm are
metacarpals, of the wrist, carpals. (Tarsals for feet.)

--
Rod

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/12/2012 21:05, polygonum wrote:

Phalanges are the fingers of the digits - those of the palm are
metacarpals, of the wrist, carpals. (Tarsals for feet.)

I stand (or perhaps brachiate!) corrected.

Andy
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/12/2012 20:58, Andy Champ wrote:
On 12/12/2012 21:05, polygonum wrote:

Phalanges are the fingers of the digits - those of the palm are
metacarpals, of the wrist, carpals. (Tarsals for feet.)

I stand (or perhaps brachiate!) corrected.

Andy

And I shall correct what I typed:

Phalanges are the bones of the digits...

:-)

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Champ wrote:

On 12/12/2012 11:17, michael adams wrote:

webs made by phalanges (daddy long legs) spiders

fx googles Phalangiidae?

fx wikies Pholcidae?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Dec 12, 10:48*am, robgraham wrote:
A book has just fallen down the side of a filing cabinet in the
bedroom - the cabinet has been there for some 20 years, and it became
clear as I poked with a long stick to get the book out of the narrow
gap that a lot of grey almost felt like material had accumulated, some
of it lumps of 100mm x 50.

What actually is this and why does it clump together ? *Yes I know
it's dirt/dust - call it what you like but what's the mechanism that
makes it bind ?

Rob

Flakes of human skin. We all give them off.
Most house dust is human skin and a whole range of nasty mites etc
live off it. Some people are allergic to the housemite **** dust.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/12/2012 10:48, robgraham wrote:
A book has just fallen down the side of a filing cabinet in the
bedroom - the cabinet has been there for some 20 years, and it became
clear as I poked with a long stick to get the book out of the narrow
gap that a lot of grey almost felt like material had accumulated, some
of it lumps of 100mm x 50.

What actually is this and why does it clump together ? Yes I know
it's dirt/dust - call it what you like but what's the mechanism that
makes it bind ?

Rob

I've always wondered what the white fungusy stuff you get in the corners
of sheds is.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I've always wondered what the white fungusy stuff you get in the corners
of sheds is.

Dry rot?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 12 Dec 2012 19:02:18 +0000, The Medway Handyman
wrote:

I've always wondered what the white fungusy stuff you get in the corners
of sheds is.

The lost shoppers.