Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.telecom

Default Initiate a phone call remotely?

I've just renewed my BT Line Rental Saver contract for the line in my
holiday flat (including free evening and weekend calls) and BT now seem
to be imposing monthly - rather than quarterly - billing for customers
using this deal.

I'm pretty sure that, in order to continue to qualify for free Caller
Display, etc., I still need to make a specified number of potentially
chargeable calls each billing period. That wasn't a problem with
quarterly billing because I was always at the flat often enough to make
enough calls each quarter - most of which would be free evening calls to
my answering machine at my main home!

However, there may be some times when I don't visit the flat for more
than a month - so, with monthly billing, I may sometimes be unable to
make the requisite number of calls.

So - eventually getting to the point after a long preamble - can anyone
suggest the best way of making calls from the flat without actually
being there? There isn't a computer there when I'm not there -
otherwise, if I left one running, I could probably set up a scheduled
task to use a modem to dial out at regular intervals. However, there
*is* a permanent internet connection, with a router which I can access
remotely to check that the connection's still up. Could I attach
anything to that which would do the dialling and which could be
controlled remotely? Or, is there a stand-alone bit of kit with a
built-in timer which could do it?

TIA.
--
Cheers,
Roger

And after making the phone call....... ARWadsworth UK diy 16 July 21st 12 09:07 PM
Crazy phone call Andrew Gabriel UK diy 264 March 5th 12 10:14 AM
Crazy phone call Lobster UK diy 24 February 25th 12 12:15 PM
call a phone when its o the hook Fidel UK diy 31 August 5th 11 09:21 PM
Another phone bill and another phone call ARWadsworth UK diy 56 February 18th 10 01:15 PM