Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Another phone bill and another phone call

Every month I get a phonecall from an old dear.

It seems that she checks her phonebill every month and sees my number on the
bill.

She has no idea why my number shows on her bill so she calls me to see why
my phone number is showing on her bill.

My number shows because she calls me every month after she has looked at her
phone bill.

Any solutions?

Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
ARWadsworth wrote:
Every month I get a phonecall from an old dear.

It seems that she checks her phonebill every month and sees my number on the
bill.

She has no idea why my number shows on her bill so she calls me to see why
my phone number is showing on her bill.

My number shows because she calls me every month after she has looked at her
phone bill.

Any solutions?

Get caller ID, program her number into your phone and don't answer her
calls. You'll only have to put up with it until her next bill comes
through.

Gordon
Posted to uk.d-i-y

She has no idea why my number shows on her bill so she calls me to see why
my phone number is showing on her bill.

Pffft. She's casing your place for a burglary.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"ARWadsworth" wrote in message
om...
Every month I get a phonecall from an old dear.

It seems that she checks her phonebill every month and sees my number on
the bill.

She has no idea why my number shows on her bill so she calls me to see why
my phone number is showing on her bill.

My number shows because she calls me every month after she has looked at
her phone bill.

Any solutions?

Adam

You've pulled mate! ;-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 15 Feb 2010 18:08:11 GMT
"ARWadsworth" wrote:

Every month I get a phonecall from an old dear.

It seems that she checks her phonebill every month and sees my number on the
bill.

She has no idea why my number shows on her bill so she calls me to see why
my phone number is showing on her bill.

My number shows because she calls me every month after she has looked at her
phone bill.

Any solutions?

Adam

Report her to plod as a nuisance-caller.
R.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

On 15/02/2010 18:08, ARWadsworth wrote:
Every month I get a phonecall from an old dear.

It seems that she checks her phonebill every month and sees my number on
the bill.

She has no idea why my number shows on her bill so she calls me to see
why my phone number is showing on her bill.

My number shows because she calls me every month after she has looked at
her phone bill.

Any solutions?

Adam

Assuming you see her number, in about 28 days, ring her and remind her
not to ring you again.

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 15 Feb 2010 18:08:11 GMT, "ARWadsworth"
eagerly tapped out this message:

Every month I get a phonecall from an old dear.

It seems that she checks her phonebill every month and sees my number on the
bill.

She has no idea why my number shows on her bill so she calls me to see why
my phone number is showing on her bill.

My number shows because she calls me every month after she has looked at her
phone bill.

Any solutions?

Adam

Perhaps you could explain to her that she must have mis dialed to get
your number in the first place, for all this fiasco to start !!

Mike 2
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
ARWadsworth writes
Every month I get a phonecall from an old dear.

It seems that she checks her phonebill every month and sees my number on the
bill.

She has no idea why my number shows on her bill so she calls me to see why
my phone number is showing on her bill.

My number shows because she calls me every month after she has looked at her
phone bill.

Any solutions?

Poor dear, but I have to admire her logic.

Get an answering machine with a message saying your number has changed
to a premium rate one. She'll still call but you'll get paid for it.

Suggest she writes a (big) note to herself saying that number X is that
nice chap Adam and that she doesn't need to call and check.
--
fred
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"fred" wrote in message ...
In article , ARWadsworth
writes
Every month I get a phonecall from an old dear.

It seems that she checks her phonebill every month and sees my number on
the
bill.

She has no idea why my number shows on her bill so she calls me to see why
my phone number is showing on her bill.

My number shows because she calls me every month after she has looked at
her
phone bill.

Any solutions?

Poor dear, but I have to admire her logic.

And she is so polite when she calls me.

Get an answering machine with a message saying your number has changed to
a premium rate one. She'll still call but you'll get paid for it.

Suggest she writes a (big) note to herself saying that number X is that
nice chap Adam and that she doesn't need to call and check.

I could try that. I might try Rods suggestions of calling her just before
her phone bill is due.

Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , ARWadsworth
writes

"fred" wrote in message ...
In article ,
ARWadsworth writes
[...]

Probably needs to be within the hour of her post arriving if my wife's
Aunts short term memory is anything to go by:-)

You could gently try asking to speak to any one else in her house and
tip them off to what is happening.

regards
--
Tim Lamb

Posted to uk.d-i-y

ARWadsworth wrote:
Every month I get a phonecall from an old dear.

It seems that she checks her phonebill every month and sees my number on
the bill.

She has no idea why my number shows on her bill so she calls me to see
why my phone number is showing on her bill.

My number shows because she calls me every month after she has looked at
her phone bill.

Any solutions?

wait till her dementia is diagnosed, and they take the phone away.

seriously. It would have been my mother, 7 years ago.

To a T.

shed died 18 months ago.

Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , ARWadsworth
writes

I could try that. I might try Rods suggestions of calling her just before
her phone bill is due.

I thought that sounded a top idea.
--
fred
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"ARWadsworth" wrote in message
om...
Every month I get a phonecall from an old dear.

It seems that she checks her phonebill every month and sees my number on
the bill.

She has no idea why my number shows on her bill so she calls me to see why
my phone number is showing on her bill.

My number shows because she calls me every month after she has looked at
her phone bill.

Any solutions?

Don't answer the phone to her and then your number will stop appearing on
her bill. Simples. :-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Feb 16, 8:23 am, "Yellow" wrote:
"ARWadsworth" wrote in message

om...

Every month I get a phonecall from an old dear.

It seems that she checks her phonebill every month and sees my number on
the bill.

She has no idea why my number shows on her bill so she calls me to see why
my phone number is showing on her bill.

My number shows because she calls me every month after she has looked at
her phone bill.

Any solutions?

Don't answer the phone to her and then your number will stop appearing on
her bill. Simples. :-)

erm.... you assume OP has calling number displayed .....not so
simples ;)

JimK
Posted to uk.d-i-y

JimK wrote:

you assume OP has calling number displayed

With Adam's past conquests, that would seem to be a necessity ;-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"JimK" wrote in message
On Feb 16, 8:23 am, "Yellow" wrote:
"ARWadsworth" wrote in message

om...

Every month I get a phonecall from an old dear.

It seems that she checks her phonebill every month and sees my number
on
the bill.

She has no idea why my number shows on her bill so she calls me to see
why
my phone number is showing on her bill.

My number shows because she calls me every month after she has looked
at
her phone bill.

Any solutions?

Don't answer the phone to her and then your number will stop appearing on
her bill. Simples. :-)

erm.... you assume OP has calling number displayed .....not so
simples ;)

A reasonable assumption in modern times in my opinion, not least because
this is a free facility to most people.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Feb 16, 8:51 am, "Yellow" wrote:
"JimK" wrote in message

On Feb 16, 8:23 am, "Yellow" wrote:
"ARWadsworth" wrote in message

.com...

Every month I get a phonecall from an old dear.

It seems that she checks her phonebill every month and sees my number
on
the bill.

She has no idea why my number shows on her bill so she calls me to see
why
my phone number is showing on her bill.

My number shows because she calls me every month after she has looked
at
her phone bill.

Any solutions?

Don't answer the phone to her and then your number will stop appearing on
her bill. Simples. :-)

erm.... you assume OP has calling number displayed .....not so
simples ;)

A reasonable assumption in modern times in my opinion, not least because
this is a free facility to most people.

someone already suggested the OP get CLID (yesterday, read thread),
the OP has responded to other posts yet has not stated whether they
have it or not....ergo reasonable to assume they don't have it?

OP? confess :)
JimK
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Every month I get a phonecall from an old dear.
It seems that she checks her phonebill every month and sees my number on the
bill.
She has no idea why my number shows on her bill so she calls me to

see why
my phone number is showing on her bill.
My number shows because she calls me every month after she has

looked at her
phone bill.
Any solutions?

I've had something similar with an old dear recently - we've got
caller display for missed calls in work, and I returned the call. She
reckons she didn't call me, but after speaking to her it transpires
she'd had problems with her billing ever since a new neighbour had
moved in (she's on a cable / virgin media phone line)

I suggested she got back in touch with them, gave her my number, and
I kept a record of the call time (early hours of the morning IIRC) in
case they wanted to argue the case.

Mistakes do happen, and it might make her feel better if you suggest
something similar ?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16 Feb, 09:53, Colin Wilson wrote:
[...]

maybe but i expect she'll forget how much better she felt fairly
quickly given the problem.....
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"ARWadsworth" wrote in message
om...
Every month I get a phonecall from an old dear.

It seems that she checks her phonebill every month and sees my number on
the bill.

She has no idea why my number shows on her bill so she calls me to see why
my phone number is showing on her bill.

My number shows because she calls me every month after she has looked at
her phone bill.

Any solutions?

Adam

Tell her you recall the call, and that you noted the number. Say it was an
abusive call and ask her not to call again?

You can get caller ID for free, and it's perhaps best to ignore the call
next time.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16 Feb, 12:15, "Fredxx" wrote:
"ARWadsworth" wrote in message

om...

Every month I get a phonecall from an old dear.

It seems that she checks her phonebill every month and sees my number on
the bill.

She has no idea why my number shows on her bill so she calls me to see why
my phone number is showing on her bill.

My number shows because she calls me every month after she has looked at
her phone bill.

Any solutions?

Adam

Tell her you recall the call, and that you noted the number. Say it was an
abusive call and ask her not to call again?

You can get caller ID for free, and it's perhaps best to ignore the call
next time.

for free? no strings? where from?

JimK
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15 Feb, 18:08, "ARWadsworth"
wrote:
Every month I get a phonecall from an old dear.

It seems that she checks her phonebill every month and sees my number on the
bill.

She has no idea why my number shows on her bill so she calls me to see why
my phone number is showing on her bill.

My number shows because she calls me every month after she has looked at her
phone bill.

Any solutions?

Adam

This reminds me of a Harry Hill gag about his nan mistaking her
hairdryer for a phone, and getting chapped ears when she takes a
call ...

"She never realises; the more she phones BT to complain ...."
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15 Feb, 18:08, "ARWadsworth"
wrote:
Every month I get a phonecall from an old dear.

[...]
Any solutions?

Write to Viz for their Top Tips page.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"JimK" wrote in message

You can get caller ID for free, and it's perhaps best to ignore the call
next time.

for free? no strings? where from?

The service is free on BT.
You need a display device though.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"JimK" wrote in message

You can get caller ID for free, and it's perhaps best to ignore the
call
next time.

for free? no strings? where from?

The service is free on BT.
You need a display device though.

no strings?

Almost, you have to use your line a minimum number of times for chargeable
calls. Otherwise it's free.

http://www2.bt.com/static/i/btretail...ndex.html#faq5

Also gives you a number to ring to apply for it.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"JimK" wrote in message

"JimK" wrote in message

You can get caller ID for free, and it's perhaps best to ignore the
call
next time.

for free? no strings? where from?

The service is free on BT.
You need a display device though.

no strings?

Almost, you have to use your line a minimum number of times for
chargeable
calls. Otherwise it's free.

indeed

JimK

Unless you're very tight with using your phone, it shouldn't be a problem.
I have the service for a long while and I've never been given a
supplementary charged.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Feb 16, 3:03 pm, "Fredxx" wrote:
"JimK" wrote in message

"JimK" wrote in message

You can get caller ID for free, and it's perhaps best to ignore the
call
next time.

for free? no strings? where from?

The service is free on BT.
You need a display device though.

no strings?

Almost, you have to use your line a minimum number of times for
chargeable
calls. Otherwise it's free.

indeed

JimK

Unless you're very tight with using your phone, it shouldn't be a problem.
I have the service for a long while and I've never been given a
supplementary charged.

or you use other better/cheaper providers for your phone line and/or
calls....;))

JimK

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"JimK" wrote in message
On Feb 16, 3:03 pm, "Fredxx" wrote:
"JimK" wrote in message

On 16 Feb, 13:34, "Fredxx" wrote:
"JimK" wrote in message

On 16 Feb, 13:03, "dennis@home"
wrote:
"JimK" wrote in message

You can get caller ID for free, and it's perhaps best to ignore
the
call
next time.

for free? no strings? where from?

The service is free on BT.
You need a display device though.

no strings?

Almost, you have to use your line a minimum number of times for
chargeable
calls. Otherwise it's free.

indeed

JimK

Unless you're very tight with using your phone, it shouldn't be a
problem.
I have the service for a long while and I've never been given a
supplementary charged.

or you use other better/cheaper providers for your phone line and/or
calls....;))

Then you pay for caller display but even then it is only a couple of quid.
One solution here which is quite common, is that you use BT for a couple of
cheap (free even) calls and that gets you your free caller ID and you then
use whatever other providers suit for your other calls.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Feb 16, 4:31 pm, "Yellow" wrote:
"JimK" wrote in message

On Feb 16, 3:03 pm, "Fredxx" wrote:
"JimK" wrote in message

On 16 Feb, 13:34, "Fredxx" wrote:
"JimK" wrote in message

On 16 Feb, 13:03, "dennis@home"
wrote:
"JimK" wrote in message

[...]

I know & what a deliberately typical BT faff!
And if you forget/underdo it you cough for £8 a quarter - hardly free
- which was the point ISTR.

Cheers
JimK
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"JimK" wrote in message
On Feb 16, 8:51 am, "Yellow" wrote:
"JimK" wrote in message

On Feb 16, 8:23 am, "Yellow" wrote:
[...]

I have got CLID, and if I do not answer the call will go to answer machine.

Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Feb 16, 4:43 pm, "ARWadsworth"
wrote:
"JimK" wrote in message

On Feb 16, 8:51 am, "Yellow" wrote:
"JimK" wrote in message

On Feb 16, 8:23 am, "Yellow" wrote:
[...]

aha worth a try then? though I bet she'll wait till the end of the
message then hang up - so will still appear on her bill next time
around....

JimK
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/02/2010 16:39 JimK wrote:

I know& what a deliberately typical BT faff!
And if you forget/underdo it you cough for £8 a quarter - hardly free
- which was the point ISTR.

BT provides free weekend calls so as soon as the bill arrives use six of
them. Simples.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

ARWadsworth wrote:
Every month I get a phonecall from an old dear.

It seems that she checks her phonebill every month and sees my number on
the bill.

She has no idea why my number shows on her bill so she calls me to see
why my phone number is showing on her bill.

My number shows because she calls me every month after she has looked at
her phone bill.

Any solutions?

wait till her dementia is diagnosed, and they take the phone away.

seriously. It would have been my mother, 7 years ago.

To a T.

shed died 18 months ago.

Adam

Almost certainly the start of dementia. I have had the unfortunate
experience of having family members suffer from it.

I did work at this old ladies house about 12 months ago. She was a full time
carer for her husband at the time. I would put money on him having passed
away by now. About 6 months ago she called me as her burglar alarm had gone
off and would not stop ringing. I was on the phone to her for quite a while
as I talked her through a way to disable it. Phone calls every month since.

Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

F wrote:
On 16/02/2010 16:39 JimK wrote:

I know& what a deliberately typical BT faff!
And if you forget/underdo it you cough for £8 a quarter - hardly free
- which was the point ISTR.

BT provides free weekend calls so as soon as the bill arrives use six of
them. Simples.

Would that work? I thought the term used in the contract was 'chargeable
calls'.

Andrew
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Feb 16, 5:06 pm, Andrew May wrote:
F wrote:
On 16/02/2010 16:39 JimK wrote:

I know& what a deliberately typical BT faff!
And if you forget/underdo it you cough for £8 a quarter - hardly free
- which was the point ISTR.

BT provides free weekend calls so as soon as the bill arrives use six of
them. Simples.

Would that work? I thought the term used in the contract was 'chargeable
calls'.

Andrew

yep that's how I understand it....;)

JimK
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/02/2010 17:06 Andrew May wrote:

Would that work?

It has, so far...

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

On 16/02/2010 16:45, JimK wrote:

aha worth a try then? though I bet she'll wait till the end of the
message then hang up - so will still appear on her bill next time
around....

JimK

I always thought you got charged from the moment the message started.

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Feb 16, 7:04 pm, Rod wrote:
On 16/02/2010 16:45, JimK wrote:

aha worth a try then? though I bet she'll wait till the end of the
message then hang up - so will still appear on her bill next time
around....

JimK

I always thought you got charged from the moment the message started.

--
Rod

maybe.
Older folks IMHO more likely to wait til end of an answering m/c
message and then say "Joyce are you there" etc etc before hanging up.

JimK