Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default And now I've seen it all ...

On Dec 9, 10:33*pm, Huge wrote:
On 2012-12-09, Tim Lamb wrote:

In message , charles
writes
In article ,
* Huge wrote:
On 2012-12-08, charles wrote:

Those people in yellow jackets with radar guns (not Gatzo make) are
"Community Speed Watch".

What they are is self-important, interfering, pompous, po-faced,
hypocritical, morons with (fortunately) exactly zero powers.

An alternative description is: local people concerned for their community
attempting to slow down those arrogant drivers who don't believe the speed
limit applies to them.

Nope. They're ****s. Interfering, busy-body, pointy-nosed ****s who should
**** off and die.

IME It's often the locals who are the worst offenders fro speeding.

MBQ

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message
, Man
at B&Q writes
On 2012-12-09, Tim Lamb wrote:

In message , charles
writes
In article ,
On 2012-12-08, charles wrote:

Those people in yellow jackets with radar guns (not Gatzo make) are
"Community Speed Watch".

What they are is self-important, interfering, pompous, po-faced,
hypocritical, morons with (fortunately) exactly zero powers.

An alternative description is: local people concerned for their community
attempting to slow down those arrogant drivers who don't believe the speed
limit applies to them.

Nope. They're ****s. Interfering, busy-body, pointy-nosed ****s who should
**** off and die.

IME It's often the locals who are the worst offenders fro speeding.

.......Road
3 visits
Total vehicles monitored - 421
Vehicles under 30mph - 287
30-35 mph - 79
36-40 mph - 37
41-45 mph - 13
46mph and above -5
Fastest recorded vehicle 46mph

..... Road
3 visits
Total vehicles monitored -249
Vehicles under 30mph - 68
30-35 mph - 62
36-40 mph - 67
41-45 mph - 31
46mph and above - 21
Fastest recorded vehicle 57mph

...... Road
3 visits
Total vehicles monitored - 310
Vehicles under 30mph - 93
30-35 mph -35
36-40 mph - 10
41-45 mph - 3
46mph and above - 0
Fastest recorded vehicle 44mph

The Hill
3 visits
Total vehicles monitored - 264
Vehicles under 30mph - 188
30-35 mph - 42
36-40 mph - 31
41-45 mph - 3
46mph and above - 0
Fastest recorded vehicle 42mph

A report from our local PCSO included for your interest. Not hugely
surprising and probably similar for the same size village in
Bedfordshire.

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article
, Man at
On 2012-12-09, Tim Lamb wrote:

In message , charles
writes
In article , Huge
On 2012-12-08, charles wrote:

Those people in yellow jackets with radar guns (not Gatzo make)
are "Community Speed Watch".

What they are is self-important, interfering, pompous, po-faced,
hypocritical, morons with (fortunately) exactly zero powers.

An alternative description is: local people concerned for their
community attempting to slow down those arrogant drivers who don't
believe the speed limit applies to them.

Nope. They're ****s. Interfering, busy-body, pointy-nosed ****s who
should **** off and die.

IME It's often the locals who are the worst offenders fro speeding.

our villages' speed watches finds offenders seem equally split between
locals and outsiders.

--
From KT24

Using a RISC OS computer running v5.18

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/12/2012 14:07, Tim Lamb wrote:

[...]

Hmmm. One wonders why some roads have the majority of the cars under
the speed limit, and yet on one of them half the drivers are exceeding
the limit by enough to get a ticket. I don't suppose that's one of
those silly limits is it? Like the one I go through, where the speed
limit is low to protect the school. That has been shut for two years.

(I was following someone this evening through the mist [never thick
enough that I couldn't see the next corner] and they went through the
open country at 40 max. I'm not sure exactly what speed they were doing
through the village at the end, but it was a lot more than me...]

Andy
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Andy Champ
writes
[...]

The locations are chosen following complaints/concerns and mostly sited
where traffic is exiting the village and in sight of a de-restriction
sign.

One might correspond to a *silly* limit where local campaigning to
enforce an existing lorry ban has brought in a 30 limit where 40 might
be more appropriate.

(I was following someone this evening through the mist [never thick
enough that I couldn't see the next corner] and they went through the
open country at 40 max. I'm not sure exactly what speed they were
doing through the village at the end, but it was a lot more than me...]

My grandfather referred to this as *blinding*:-) I suppose it is little
worse than assuming that you will not encounter some obstruction
blocking the road just outside the reach of dipped headlights.

--
Tim Lamb

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/12/2012 08:40, Tim Lamb wrote:

(I was following someone this evening through the mist [never thick
enough that I couldn't see the next corner] and they went through the
open country at 40 max. I'm not sure exactly what speed they were
doing through the village at the end, but it was a lot more than me...]

My grandfather referred to this as *blinding*:-) I suppose it is little
worse than assuming that you will not encounter some obstruction
blocking the road just outside the reach of dipped headlights.

What as *blinding*? If you mean, was I too close behind - well, I know
that road, and there's no chance of overtaking. So I sit far enough back
so I don't have to brake into the corners.

Andy
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Andy Champ
writes
On 12/12/2012 08:40, Tim Lamb wrote:

(I was following someone this evening through the mist [never thick
enough that I couldn't see the next corner] and they went through the
open country at 40 max. I'm not sure exactly what speed they were
doing through the village at the end, but it was a lot more than me...]

My grandfather referred to this as *blinding*:-) I suppose it is little
worse than assuming that you will not encounter some obstruction
blocking the road just outside the reach of dipped headlights.

What as *blinding*? If you mean, was I too close behind - well, I know
that road, and there's no chance of overtaking. So I sit far enough
back so I don't have to brake into the corners.

I think he meant driving too fast to stop within the distance you can
see. Dead 50+ years now.

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Man at B&Q wrote:

On Nov 27, 3:42*pm, Tim Streater wrote:

How about a storage scope? Does anyone make stuff like that these days?

Perhaps not what you think of as a "storage scope" but it's getting
more difficult to buy a new 'scope that doesn't have storage.

I remember testing runs on a prototype train, about 35 years ago,
where we used a pretty substantial storage scope. One of its
popular features, as we huddled in the chilly vehicle, was that
it threw out 1 kW of heat when we ran it.

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Have dancing shoes, will ceilidh.