Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Servers

I use two Zyxel NSA221s without much problems, BUT ...

+ They and all the PCs, even the laptops, are GENUINELY GIGABIT*
+ And are cabled to a GENUINELY GIGABIT router

Further, I've invested in a couple of USB sticks which enable me to
boot them into a slightly modified OS, so that I can run rsync between
them and the PCs, and between themselves. It's the best system I've
ever had, but it did take quite a lot of setting up to get it how I
want it. It may be that the QNAP ones mentioned up thread may be just
as good or better and easier to set up as well.

And of course, it depends what you mean by slow further down the
thread.

* GENUINELY GIGABIT = 1000MBits/s. Gigabit has this precisely defined
meaning, but in places like fleaBay it's a grossly abused buzzword
wheeled out whenever someone wants to sell a network item. For about
six months solid, until I'd found the GENUINELY GIGABIT equipment I
needed, I reported every such piece of abuse I saw, and also tried to
interest the ASA, but the abuse continued.

On Fri, 23 Nov 2012 18:57:25 +0000, Lawrence
wrote:

I'm thinking of using a server instead of my NAS drive. I would
probably use Ubuntu. Any advice or problems to look out for?

Servers Caecilius[_2_] UK diy 7 November 26th 12 02:31 PM
Servers Lawrence[_3_] UK diy 1 November 24th 12 09:03 PM
Servers The Natural Philosopher[_2_] UK diy 0 November 24th 12 12:14 AM
Servers Bill[_18_] UK diy 1 November 23rd 12 11:22 PM
Servers Steve Firth UK diy 0 November 23rd 12 10:43 PM