Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Servers

On Fri, 23 Nov 2012 18:57:25 +0000, Lawrence
wrote:
I'm thinking of using a server instead of my NAS drive. I would
probably use Ubuntu. Any advice or problems to look out for?

Have you looked at QNAP? I've found them much better than a lot of the
cheap NAS boxes, and it runs a customised version of Debian Linux. I'm
using a 4-drive one at home, and a 6-drive one at work.

They do SMB (samba), NFS, rsync, FTP Etc. They also do iSCSI if you
want to use them for VMware ESXi servers. Nice boxes IMHO.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
I'm thinking of using a server instead of my NAS drive. I would
probably use Ubuntu. Any advice or problems to look out for?

Have you looked at QNAP? I've found them much better than a lot of the
cheap NAS boxes, and it runs a customised version of Debian Linux. I'm
using a 4-drive one at home, and a 6-drive one at work.

They do SMB (samba), NFS, rsync, FTP Etc. They also do iSCSI if you
want to use them for VMware ESXi servers. Nice boxes IMHO.

Another vote from me. QNAPs can be used as NAS or SAN or as a server. Very
well built. they can also act as an iTunes server with DAAPD. A good way of
distributing music and video around the network.

--
€¢DarWin|
_/ _/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
I'm thinking of using a server instead of my NAS drive. I would
probably use Ubuntu. Any advice or problems to look out for?

Have you looked at QNAP? I've found them much better than a lot of the
cheap NAS boxes, and it runs a customised version of Debian Linux. I'm
using a 4-drive one at home, and a 6-drive one at work.

They do SMB (samba), NFS, rsync, FTP Etc. They also do iSCSI if you
want to use them for VMware ESXi servers. Nice boxes IMHO.

Another vote from me. QNAPs can be used as NAS or SAN or as a server. Very
well built. they can also act as an iTunes server with DAAPD. A good way of
distributing music and video around the network.

I did wonder whether a NAS would cost less than a PC in the long term as
it might well use less power.

I have a ReadyNAS Duo, my only complaint is that it does not
automatically restart after a power cut. It does however have a good
support forum, and it sent me emails when one of my hard drives started
to fail. I was able to change the disk before I lost any data.

--
Michael Chare
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/11/2012 00:59, Michael Chare wrote:

I did wonder whether a NAS would cost less than a PC in the long term as
it might well use less power.

Probably, my NAS uses about 6W compared to a PC which will probably use
50W. Thats about £40 pa more. Old PCs probably use more that £100 pa.

I have a ReadyNAS Duo, my only complaint is that it does not
automatically restart after a power cut. It does however have a good
support forum, and it sent me emails when one of my hard drives started
to fail. I was able to change the disk before I lost any data.

My HAS always starts when you connect the power. Guess what some people
complain about.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/11/12 10:24, dennis@home wrote:
On 26/11/2012 00:59, Michael Chare wrote:

I did wonder whether a NAS would cost less than a PC in the long term as
it might well use less power.

Probably, my NAS uses about 6W compared to a PC which will probably use
50W. Thats about £40 pa more. Old PCs probably use more that £100 pa.

My atom based server uses about 6W,

I have a ReadyNAS Duo, my only complaint is that it does not
automatically restart after a power cut. It does however have a good
support forum, and it sent me emails when one of my hard drives started
to fail. I was able to change the disk before I lost any data.

My HAS always starts when you connect the power. Guess what some people
complain about.

I will never again set a machine to boot on application of power. one
time in three the auto trips try to reconnect power three times, before
deciding the tree across the line is permanent, resulting in an aborted
boot process which is almost guaranteed to corrupt disks.

--
Ineptocracy

diminishing number of producers.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/11/12 10:24, dennis@home wrote:
On 26/11/2012 00:59, Michael Chare wrote:

I did wonder whether a NAS would cost less than a PC in the long term as
it might well use less power.

Probably, my NAS uses about 6W compared to a PC which will probably use
50W. Thats about £40 pa more. Old PCs probably use more that £100 pa.

My atom based server uses about 6W,

When idle?

I have a ReadyNAS Duo, my only complaint is that it does not
automatically restart after a power cut. It does however have a good
support forum, and it sent me emails when one of my hard drives started
to fail. I was able to change the disk before I lost any data.

My HAS always starts when you connect the power. Guess what some people
complain about.

I will never again set a machine to boot on application of power. one
time in three the auto trips try to reconnect power three times, before
deciding the tree across the line is permanent, resulting in an aborted
boot process which is almost guaranteed to corrupt disks.

Thats what an UPS is for.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/11/12 12:13, dennis@home wrote:
[...]

No, its what a not particularly critical server is set to.

If the clients are also down, and all the Internet is also down, there
is little point keeping the server up.

--
Ineptocracy

diminishing number of producers.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 26 Nov 2012 12:16:51 +0000, The Natural Philosopher
wrote:

On 26/11/12 12:13, dennis@home wrote:

Thats what an UPS is for.

No, its what a not particularly critical server is set to.

If the clients are also down, and all the Internet is also down, there
is little point keeping the server up.

Then power the router / modem from the UPS then. The exchange end will still be
working.

Servers The Natural Philosopher[_2_] UK diy 0 November 24th 12 12:14 AM
Servers Bill[_18_] UK diy 1 November 23rd 12 11:22 PM
Servers Steve Firth UK diy 0 November 23rd 12 10:43 PM
Music Servers Jim Thompson[_3_] Electronic Schematics 21 January 27th 11 08:46 PM
Schematics available to servers ftheaper Electronics Repair 2 August 25th 04 11:39 AM