Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Wifi reciever

To plug into my new workshop music system I need
to devise or find complete a wifi reciever that will
put out a line-out signal for the pre-amp.
Initially, I can plug my smartphone in, but I'm thinking
of something more permanent - and cheap, it's got to
be cheap.

Any ideas?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Grimly Curmudgeon wrote:
To plug into my new workshop music system I need
to devise or find complete a wifi reciever that will
put out a line-out signal for the pre-amp.
Initially, I can plug my smartphone in, but I'm thinking
of something more permanent - and cheap, it's got to
be cheap.

Does it need to be WiFi? There are cheap bluetooth A2DP receivers and
transmitters ...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 21 Nov 2012 20:37:41 +0000, Andy Burns
wrote:

Grimly Curmudgeon wrote:
To plug into my new workshop music system I need
to devise or find complete a wifi reciever that will
put out a line-out signal for the pre-amp.
Initially, I can plug my smartphone in, but I'm thinking
of something more permanent - and cheap, it's got to
be cheap.

Does it need to be WiFi? There are cheap bluetooth A2DP receivers and
transmitters ...

For ease of picking up a streamed radio channel that's coming in via
the main PC (actually from the wireless modem).
I could just put a mini FM transmitter on the SCART output of the
WDLive box (it does internet radio). I've had a look on the Chinese
techogadget sites and so far the only wifi option seems to be another
smartphone.
I did find this...
http://www.gracedigitalaudio.com/sol...amer-p-94.html
Which is perfect, but I'd hoped to find a DealExtreme variety of that
for much less dosh.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/11/2012 20:26, Grimly Curmudgeon wrote:
To plug into my new workshop music system I need
to devise or find complete a wifi reciever that will
put out a line-out signal for the pre-amp.
Initially, I can plug my smartphone in, but I'm thinking
of something more permanent - and cheap, it's got to
be cheap.

Any ideas?

What is the source of the stuff you want to play? Streamed audio from
the internet, or access to files on a PC / DLNA server etc?

Does it matter how big it is?

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 21 Nov 2012 22:42:42 +0000, John Rumm
wrote:

What is the source of the stuff you want to play? Streamed audio from
the internet, or access to files on a PC / DLNA server etc?

Both, but it's mainly internet radio I'm thinking of.

Does it matter how big it is?

Physical size isn't an issue - plenty of space, and the amp boxes are
full-sized anyway.
I've found a few internet streamers but they're all annoyingly
high-priced. Where are the cheap knock-offs when you need them?
There's a couple of really cheap media streamers on DX, but they need
a TV to see what they're up to. If it wasn't for that, they'd be
perfect.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

What is the source of the stuff you want to play? Streamed audio from
the internet, or access to files on a PC / DLNA server etc?

Both, but it's mainly internet radio I'm thinking of.

Does it matter how big it is?

Physical size isn't an issue - plenty of space, and the amp boxes are
full-sized anyway.
I've found a few internet streamers but they're all annoyingly
high-priced. Where are the cheap knock-offs when you need them?
There's a couple of really cheap media streamers on DX, but they need
a TV to see what they're up to. If it wasn't for that, they'd be
perfect.

Scabby second hand laptop would be one obvious option...

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 21 Nov 2012 23:48:00 +0000, John Rumm
wrote:

Scabby second hand laptop would be one obvious option...

I have an old one that wouldn't even know what a USB2 dongle is, never
mind run it.
Looking at the prices some of the early low-spec but with wifi Android
phones get , a plan forms. As I said I was just going to use my own
phone to get it running but don't want to leave that there
permanently. A 20quid phone - doesn't matter, don't care - it can stay
there.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 21 Nov 2012 16:25:12 -0800 (PST), Owain
wrote:

Something like
http://www.mini-itx.com/projects/rundfunker/
but made with a Rasp Pi?

Still need a display to see what it's doing.
No, a used **** old phone has everything on it - and some of them are
cheap enough.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 22 Nov 2012 05:33:06 -0000, "Brian Gaff"
wrote:

Why not just grab an old pc destined for the scrap heap, streaming audio
would be an easy task, and if you simply wanted one stream it could be made
to go there at boot up.

It's the hassle of booting up, fiddling around with mouse and keyboard
and too much farting around - on top of already having to turn on,
tune in the internet box upstairs.
Looks like an old Android phone is the way and I notice that as the
older ones fall out of favour, they plummet in value.
Hooray for obsceneness

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 22 Nov 2012 04:44:19 -0800 (PST), Owain
wrote:

Still need a display to see what it's doing.

The display is included in that - it uses a character LCD driven from
a serial line.

Where?
http://www.raspberrypie.org/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 22 Nov 2012 12:01:46 +0000, Grimly Curmudgeon wrote:

Why not just grab an old pc destined for the scrap heap,

It's the hassle of booting up, fiddling around with mouse and keyboard
and too much farting around - on top of already having to turn on,
tune in the internet box upstairs.
Looks like an old Android phone is the way and I notice that as the
older ones fall out of favour, they plummet in value.

I might be missing something from further up the thred but if you are
going to use an Android phone over Wifi and presumably that WiFi has
access to the 'net just bung the TuneIn app on the phone and not bother
with the "internet box upstairs".

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 22 Nov 2012 12:01:46 +0000, Grimly Curmudgeon
wrote:

Hooray for obsceneness

Well, hooray for that too, but I actually typed obsolescence.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 22 Nov 2012 13:15:04 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Liquorice"
wrote:

I might be missing something from further up the thred but if you are
going to use an Android phone over Wifi and presumably that WiFi has
access to the 'net just bung the TuneIn app on the phone and not bother
with the "internet box upstairs".

Exactly so and it can piggy-back onto the main internet connection of
60GB per month, rather than use the paltry 1GB of my mobile provider.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 22 Nov 2012 13:47:06 +0000, Grimly Curmudgeon wrote:

Exactly so and it can piggy-back onto the main internet connection of
60GB per month, rather than use the paltry 1GB of my mobile provider.

B-) 128kbps internet radio will only use about 45GB per month (24/7...)

Only 15GB for 8hrs/day...

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 22 Nov 2012 14:14:36 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Liquorice"
wrote:

B-) 128kbps internet radio will only use about 45GB per month (24/7...)

I wonder how we used to get by on what we had, even with some
downloading going on.

Only 15GB for 8hrs/day...

It'll be for two hours a day, if that; my back calls a halt,
especially in the winter months.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
RJH RJH is offline

wrote:

Why not just grab an old pc destined for the scrap heap, streaming audio
would be an easy task, and if you simply wanted one stream it could be made
to go there at boot up.

It's the hassle of booting up, fiddling around with mouse and keyboard
and too much farting around - on top of already having to turn on,
tune in the internet box upstairs.
Looks like an old Android phone is the way and I notice that as the
older ones fall out of favour, they plummet in value.
Hooray for obsceneness

Or an ipod Touch?

Out of interest, what would be a decent smartphone for, say, £100?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article m, RJH wrote:

Out of interest, what would be a decent smartphone for, say, £100?

http://www.reghardware.com/2012/06/2...id_smartphone/
http://www.reghardware.com/2012/08/2...ndroid_phones/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 23 Nov 2012 08:45:05 +0000, RJH wrote:

Looks like an old Android phone is the way and I notice that as the
older ones fall out of favour, they plummet in value.

Got a Samsung Europa for 26 quid last night. Android 2.2 is its max,
but that will do nicely. Locked to 3, but no biggie.

Or an ipod Touch?

I looked at them, but decided to stick with Android for commonality
and ease of connectivity; 3.5mm jack output.