Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Cats are great...

Until they bring in a live mouse in the middle of night who manages to
get away somewhere!!! *sigh*

--
David

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 17 Nov 2012 16:55:07 +0000, gremlin_95 wrote:

Until they bring in a live mouse in the middle of night who manages to
get away somewhere!!! *sigh*

It's worse when it's a pigeon.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/11/2012 17:27, Jules Richardson wrote:
On Sat, 17 Nov 2012 16:55:07 +0000, gremlin_95 wrote:

Until they bring in a live mouse in the middle of night who manages to
get away somewhere!!! *sigh*

It's worse when it's a pigeon.

Oh yes but it is easier to get rid of them given their size and it
unlikely to happen in the night.

--
David

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

gremlin_95 wrote:
Until they bring in a live mouse in the middle of night who manages to
get away somewhere!!! *sigh*

Only a mouse? Mine brought in a live budgie and let it go.

And I also left my cat home alone 7 years ago for 5 days when I was working
away (it was fed twice a day by a neighbour) and when I arrived home TWO
cats walked down the stairs to greet me. The bloody thing had found a female
friend and let it move in.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, November 17, 2012 5:27:15 PM UTC, Jules Richardson wrote:
On Sat, 17 Nov 2012 16:55:07 +0000, gremlin_95 wrote:

Until they bring in a live mouse in the middle of night who manages to

get away somewhere!!! *sigh*

It's worse when it's a pigeon.

It's worse when it's half a squirrel; top half, with trailing entrails.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/11/2012 16:55, gremlin_95 wrote:
Until they bring in a live mouse in the middle of night who manages to
get away somewhere!!! *sigh*

You evidently don't have enough cats, or that would quickly cease to be
a problem.

Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y

gremlin_95 wrote:

Until they bring in a live mouse in the middle of night who manages
to get away somewhere!!! *sigh*

Ours became friends with the mouse, like a perfect Tom and Jerry setup.
--
Davey.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

Owain wrote:
On Nov 17, 5:54 pm, "ARW" wrote:
And I also left my cat home alone 7 years ago for 5 days when I was
working away (it was fed twice a day by a neighbour) and when I
arrived home TWO cats walked down the stairs to greet me. The
bloody thing had found a female friend and let it move in.

Wonder where he got that idea from '-)

He is neutered so it's not from me.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/11/12 17:27, Jules Richardson wrote:
On Sat, 17 Nov 2012 16:55:07 +0000, gremlin_95 wrote:

Until they bring in a live mouse in the middle of night who manages to
get away somewhere!!! *sigh*

It's worse when it's a pigeon.

Its a bloody sight worse when its a rabbit and they do a Pol Pot on the
bathroom floor.

At last all I found of yesterday's rat was the tail.

They eat pigeons outside.

--
Ineptocracy

diminishing number of producers.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/11/12 19:51, Owain wrote:
On Nov 17, 5:54 pm, "ARW" wrote:
And I also left my cat home alone 7 years ago for 5 days when I was working
away (it was fed twice a day by a neighbour) and when I arrived home TWO
cats walked down the stairs to greet me. The bloody thing had found a female
friend and let it move in.

Wonder where he got that idea from '-)

Owain

Bloody Northern slag cats
Still at least they dint take and weird Vegetable psychedelics..

http://www.rathergood.com/mzungu

--
Ineptocracy

diminishing number of producers.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Onetap wrote:
On Saturday, November 17, 2012 5:27:15 PM UTC, Jules Richardson wrote:
On Sat, 17 Nov 2012 16:55:07 +0000, gremlin_95 wrote:

Until they bring in a live mouse in the middle of night who manages to
get away somewhere!!! *sigh*

It's worse when it's a pigeon.

It's worse when it's half a squirrel; top half, with trailing entrails.

When my daughters were teenage they often dragged more repulsive things
than that through the door late at night.

Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/11/2012 16:55, gremlin_95 wrote:

Until they bring in a live mouse in the middle of night who manages to
get away somewhere!!! *sigh*

Ours was unpopular when she caught and scoffed *most* of a mouse... she
would always leave the tail, the arse, and a wet end in the middle of a
walkway waiting for someone to intercept it in bare feet! ;-)

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 17 Nov 2012 18:52:01 -0000, Nick wrote:

Until they bring in a live mouse in the middle of night who manages
to get away somewhere!!! *sigh*

It's worse when it's a pigeon.

It's worse when it's half a squirrel; top half, with trailing
entrails.

+1

Don't be daft. Half a squirrel isn't going to go bouncing around the
room...

Fully live isn't too much of a problem, just watch the cat and they'll
let you know where it is.

Dead is fine it isn't going to run away and hide.

Fatally injured but still able to move I don't like. Having to dispatch
them.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Jules Richardson
writes
On Sat, 17 Nov 2012 16:55:07 +0000, gremlin_95 wrote:

Until they bring in a live mouse in the middle of night who manages to
get away somewhere!!! *sigh*

It's worse when it's a pigeon.

Why?
What do they bring home?

--
Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , John
Rumm writes
On 17/11/2012 16:55, gremlin_95 wrote:

Until they bring in a live mouse in the middle of night who manages to
get away somewhere!!! *sigh*

Ours was unpopular when she caught and scoffed *most* of a mouse... she
would always leave the tail, the arse, and a wet end in the middle of a
walkway waiting for someone to intercept it in bare feet! ;-)

Year round, ours follows postpersons around collecting their discarded
elastic bands. Odd but rather useful.

Summer, wildlife, but I think she's getting the message after repeated
chucking out with it in her jaws.

--
Simon

12) The Second Rule of Expectations
An EXPECTATION is a Premeditated resentment.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Nov 17, 6:52*pm, "Nick" wrote:
"Onetap" wrote in message

... On Saturday, November 17, 2012 5:27:15 PM UTC, Jules Richardson wrote:
On Sat, 17 Nov 2012 16:55:07 +0000, gremlin_95 wrote:

Until they bring in a live mouse in the middle of night who manages to

get away somewhere!!! *sigh*

It's worse when it's a pigeon.

It's worse when it's half a squirrel; top half, with trailing entrails.

+1

+1 too - in our case a young rabbit under a bed on a white carpet; by
very fortunate coincidence we had to move the bed within that day and
no damage was done.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
gremlin_95 wrote:

Until they bring in a live mouse in the middle of night who manages to
get away somewhere!!! *sigh*

We have one of these:

http://reviews.diy.com/2191-en_gb/9436459/reviews.htm

Works (almost) every time! :-) Very satisfying to use -- happy
endings.

BTW I couldn't find the sales entry on the B&Q site -- only that reviews
page, but anyway that's exactly what we have: go to your local hardware
shop.

John
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 18 Nov 2012 22:03:33 +0000, Another John wrote:

Until they bring in a live mouse in the middle of night who manages to
get away somewhere!!! *sigh*

We have one of these:

http://reviews.diy.com/2191-en_gb/9436459/reviews.htm

Works (almost) every time! :-) Very satisfying to use -- happy
endings.

Except it is illegal to release mice... Not that it stops us but then we
can release them several miles (literally) from any human habitation.

We have that type of trap and they are quite good. But the little
bleeders can gnaw their way out by enlarging the ventilation holes, takes
several periods of captivity but they can do it. Ours are branded
Rentokill.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Huge wrote:

Same comments. Oh, the happy ending is for me, not the mouse.

What - you mean: *you* eat it?

J.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 17 Nov 2012 21:53:45 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Liquorice"
wrote:

On Sat, 17 Nov 2012 18:52:01 -0000, Nick wrote:

Until they bring in a live mouse in the middle of night who manages
to get away somewhere!!! *sigh*

It's worse when it's a pigeon.

It's worse when it's half a squirrel; top half, with trailing
entrails.

+1

Don't be daft. Half a squirrel isn't going to go bouncing around the
room...

Fully live isn't too much of a problem, just watch the cat and they'll
let you know where it is.

Dead is fine it isn't going to run away and hide.

Fatally injured but still able to move I don't like. Having to dispatch
them.

And able to hide behind the heaviest bookcase in the house.

I don't like finding dead mice that got as far as under the sofa
either.
The cat that bought mice in has died so we are no longer treated to
the delights of catching the buggers. Got bit by a ratty looking thing
once so went to the walk in centre.
"Did you bring it in a tin so we could ID it?" .. erm, no it was
hanging off my thumb and that was the last thing on my mind.
--
http://www.voucherfreebies.co.uk
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, November 18, 2012 10:53:57 AM UTC, robgraham wrote:

+1 too - in our case a young rabbit under a bed on a white carpet; by

very fortunate coincidence we had to move the bed within that day and

no damage was done.

I'd forgotten one from about 10 years back, that involved a mortally injured mouse that had crawled into my son's shoe and expired.
We didn't find it until it was crawling with maggots and son put the shoes on.

He won't do that again, the Cat ******* is dead; he was costing a fortune in vet's bills.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
mogga writes:
The cat that bought mice in has died so we are no longer treated to
the delights of catching the buggers. Got bit by a ratty looking thing
once so went to the walk in centre.
"Did you bring it in a tin so we could ID it?" .. erm, no it was
hanging off my thumb and that was the last thing on my mind.

I got bitten by a mouse once. Picked it up by the tail (as I usually
did), but this one managed to coil round and bite my finger,
generating two red dots of blood like I'd just put a small staple
into my finger.

AFAICR, I simply washed my hands after dropping it off outside.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, November 17, 2012 4:55:09 PM UTC, gremlin_95 wrote:
Until they bring in a live mouse in the middle of night who manages to

get away somewhere!!! *sigh*

One of my parents cats used to bring in dead rose buds from the garden, no idea why just brought them in played with them a few miniutes then left them inside and went back out again. She only brought in 1 or 2 a week.
She got the name rosebud after that.

--

David

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2012-11-18, Another John wrote:
In article ,
Huge wrote:

Same comments. Oh, the happy ending is for me, not the mouse.

What - you mean: *you* eat it?

Well, something eats it. I throw the bodies on the lawn and they vanish.

Various assorted corvids generally.

--
Ineptocracy

diminishing number of producers.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 17 Nov 2012 16:55:07 +0000, gremlin_95 wrote:

Until they bring in a live mouse in the middle of night who manages to
get away somewhere!!! *sigh*

Relative had one brought in live quite late at night, cat let it loose, and
briefly chased it under some furniture. The cat then gave up and reverted to
clean itself and prepare to go to sleep mode.

Time for bed, so the cat was shut in the room overnight with an instruction to
catch the mouse or it was on a one way trip to the vets.

Next morning they came downstairs and saw a very smug looking cat as it sat on a
swivel chair looking at the computer screen. But where was the mouse?

The cat had killed it and laid it out on the mousemat alongside the computer
mouse, matching the tail to the curve of the mouse cable.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19 Nov 2012 12:11:24 GMT, Huge wrote:

Except it is illegal to release mice...

Are you sure? I know it's illegal to release grey squirrels, but AFAIK
there are no rules for mice.

It's very grey area. It's illegal to release "vermin" but there isn't a
real legal definition of what are classed as vermin...

8 Oct 2003 : Column WA60
Vermin

Lord Selsdon asked Her Majesty's Government:

Which mammals and other animals are classified as "vermin".[HL4559]

Lord Whitty: There is no definition of the term "vermin" in UK law. In
such a situation the Oxford Dictionary definition should be applied.

The Oxford Dictionary defines "vermin" as "Animals of a noxious or
objectionable kind. Originally applied to reptiles, stealthy, or slinky
animals, and various wild beasts; now, excluding in US and Australia,
almost entirely restricted to those animals or birds which prey upon
preserved game . . ."

The Small Ground Vermin Traps Order 1958 and the various Spring Traps
Approval Orders, refer to "small ground vermin". Neither the orders nor
the Pests Act 1954, under which they are made, define this term or
provide an exclusive list of species. However, the following animals are
listed under various orders: moles, grey squirrels, rabbits, mink,
stoats, weasels, rabbits, rats, and mice.

Traps approved under the Spring Traps Approval Order 1995 do not apply to
small ground vermin listed in Schedules 5 and 6 to the Wildlife and
Countryside Act 1981. This means that red squirrels, dormice, water
voles, shrews, hedgehogs, polecats and a number of other species are
excluded.

http://www.publications.parliament.u...vo031008/text/
31008w02.htm

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2012-11-19, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On 19 Nov 2012 12:11:24 GMT, Huge wrote:

Except it is illegal to release mice...

Are you sure? I know it's illegal to release grey squirrels, but AFAIK
there are no rules for mice.

It's very grey area. It's illegal to release "vermin" but there isn't a
real legal definition of what are classed as vermin...

8 Oct 2003 : Column WA60
Vermin

Lord Selsdon asked Her Majesty's Government:

Which mammals and other animals are classified as "vermin".[HL4559]

Lord Whitty: There is no definition of the term "vermin" in UK law. In
such a situation the Oxford Dictionary definition should be applied.

The Oxford Dictionary defines "vermin" as "Animals of a noxious or
objectionable kind.

Splendid. It's OK to trap feral cats, then.

and teenagers?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/11/2012 17:27, Jules Richardson wrote:
On Sat, 17 Nov 2012 16:55:07 +0000, gremlin_95 wrote:

Until they bring in a live mouse in the middle of night who manages to
get away somewhere!!! *sigh*

It's worse when it's a pigeon.

Even worse when it's a bat that's flown into the bedroom under its own
steam at just gone midnight! 'twas interesting trying to persuade it to
exit through the window it had come in through with the lights on and
the curtains open...!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, November 19, 2012 3:29:47 PM UTC, Huge wrote:

Splendid. It's OK to trap feral cats, then.

Ceratinly not. What would I hunt with my bowling ball firing mortar?

http://www.buckstix.com/CoehornMortarHunt.htm
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article o.uk,
says...

On Sun, 18 Nov 2012 22:03:33 +0000, Another John wrote:

Until they bring in a live mouse in the middle of night who manages to
get away somewhere!!! *sigh*

We have one of these:

http://reviews.diy.com/2191-en_gb/9436459/reviews.htm

Works (almost) every time! :-) Very satisfying to use -- happy
endings.

Except it is illegal to release mice... Not that it stops us but then we
can release them several miles (literally) from any human habitation.

We have that type of trap and they are quite good. But the little
bleeders can gnaw their way out by enlarging the ventilation holes, takes
several periods of captivity but they can do it. Ours are branded
Rentokill.

You _brand_ mice?

Fiddly job as well as cruel.

--
Sam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 20 Nov 2012 14:02:29 +0000, F news@nowhere wrote:

Even worse when it's a bat that's flown into the bedroom under its own
steam at just gone midnight! 'twas interesting trying to persuade it to
exit through the window it had come in through with the lights on and
the curtains open...!

I've found that bats, in spite of their legendary echo-location and
maneuverability, aren't immune to being batted down by a cunningly
swung pillow. They can be picked up and tossed out the window.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/11/2012 00:29, Grimly Curmudgeon wrote:
On Tue, 20 Nov 2012 14:02:29 +0000, F news@nowhere wrote:

Even worse when it's a bat that's flown into the bedroom under its own
steam at just gone midnight! 'twas interesting trying to persuade it to
exit through the window it had come in through with the lights on and
the curtains open...!

I've found that bats, in spite of their legendary echo-location and
maneuverability, aren't immune to being batted down by a cunningly
swung pillow. They can be picked up and tossed out the window.

You could make a special striking implement for the purpose... wonder
what you could call it?

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Grimly Curmudgeon wrote:
On Tue, 20 Nov 2012 14:02:29 +0000, F news@nowhere wrote:

Even worse when it's a bat that's flown into the bedroom under its own
steam at just gone midnight! 'twas interesting trying to persuade it to
exit through the window it had come in through with the lights on and
the curtains open...!

I've found that bats, in spite of their legendary echo-location and
maneuverability, aren't immune to being batted down by a cunningly
swung pillow. They can be picked up and tossed out the window.

Just take care you don't get bitten. Many folk don't know that some bats in
the UK are infected with rabies.

Tim
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

Tim+ wrote:
Grimly Curmudgeon wrote:
On Tue, 20 Nov 2012 14:02:29 +0000, F news@nowhere wrote:

Even worse when it's a bat that's flown into the bedroom under
its own steam at just gone midnight! 'twas interesting trying to
persuade it to exit through the window it had come in through
with the lights on and the curtains open...!

I've found that bats, in spite of their legendary echo-location and
maneuverability, aren't immune to being batted down by a cunningly
swung pillow. They can be picked up and tossed out the window.

Just take care you don't get bitten. Many folk don't know that some
bats in the UK are infected with rabies.

http://www.bats.org.uk/pages/bats_and_rabies.html#A2

for a bit more info.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/11/2012 17:57, ARW wrote:
Tim+ wrote:
Grimly Curmudgeon wrote:
On Tue, 20 Nov 2012 14:02:29 +0000, F news@nowhere wrote:

Even worse when it's a bat that's flown into the bedroom under
its own steam at just gone midnight! 'twas interesting trying to
persuade it to exit through the window it had come in through
with the lights on and the curtains open...!

I've found that bats, in spite of their legendary echo-location and
maneuverability, aren't immune to being batted down by a cunningly
swung pillow. They can be picked up and tossed out the window.

Just take care you don't get bitten. Many folk don't know that some
bats in the UK are infected with rabies.

http://www.bats.org.uk/pages/bats_and_rabies.html#A2

for a bit more info.

something near enough not to matter. Avoid being bitten by a bat, or
french kissing it.(1)

Incidentally swatting a bat with a pillow is probably illegal.

Andy

(1) You can get EBLV via cuts or mucous membranes
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 25 Nov 2012 20:30:05 +0000, Andy Champ
wrote:

Incidentally swatting a bat with a pillow is probably illegal.

The bats didn't complain.

Cats Mr Pounder[_2_] UK diy 76 March 30th 11 07:46 PM
Great idea for domestic cats ... UK diy 0 April 1st 09 10:17 PM
FAT CATS Millwright Ron[_2_] Metalworking 2 November 10th 08 06:17 PM
Why is a cats head call a cats head? TheAndroid Metalworking 11 January 17th 06 09:42 AM
OT-Cats Gunner Metalworking 29 December 29th 03 06:04 PM