Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Removing musty smell from vacuum cleaner hose

The other day the Dyson wasn't working very well, so I pulled out the
elbow under the hose and removed a pen. Then I noticed there was a
blockage of shredded paper and lint in the hose, and I blew it out by
taking the hose off & sticking the other end on the bath tap (after I
tried blowing through it). Let's stipulate for the record that
running water through it was a very bad idea.

After that, the machine started smelling musty. I've cleaned the
tank, the filter, & the rigid elbows, but the hose is still smelly.
I've tried rinsing it out with hot water & dish detergent and hanging
it up by one end. Now I've got it hung up by both ends & full of hot
water & detergent. (I'm thinking of drying it by stretching it out
and blowing a hair-dryer through it.) Any suggestions?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 14 Nov 2012 20:32:10 +0000, Adam Funk
wrote:

The other day the Dyson wasn't working very well, so I pulled out the
elbow under the hose and removed a pen. Then I noticed there was a
blockage of shredded paper and lint in the hose, and I blew it out by
taking the hose off & sticking the other end on the bath tap (after I
tried blowing through it). Let's stipulate for the record that
running water through it was a very bad idea.

After that, the machine started smelling musty. I've cleaned the
tank, the filter, & the rigid elbows, but the hose is still smelly.
I've tried rinsing it out with hot water & dish detergent and hanging
it up by one end. Now I've got it hung up by both ends & full of hot
water & detergent. (I'm thinking of drying it by stretching it out
and blowing a hair-dryer through it.) Any suggestions?

Sprinkle some Shake n Vac on a carpet and "hoover" it up with the
Dyson.

--
Frank Erskine
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/11/2012 20:32, Adam Funk wrote:
The other day the Dyson wasn't working very well, so I pulled out the
elbow under the hose and removed a pen. Then I noticed there was a
blockage of shredded paper and lint in the hose, and I blew it out by
taking the hose off & sticking the other end on the bath tap (after I
tried blowing through it). Let's stipulate for the record that
running water through it was a very bad idea.

After that, the machine started smelling musty. I've cleaned the
tank, the filter, & the rigid elbows, but the hose is still smelly.
I've tried rinsing it out with hot water & dish detergent and hanging
it up by one end. Now I've got it hung up by both ends & full of hot
water & detergent. (I'm thinking of drying it by stretching it out
and blowing a hair-dryer through it.) Any suggestions?

New hose from ebay for a tenner?

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Nov 14, 8:45*pm, Adam Funk wrote:
The other day the Dyson wasn't working very well, so I pulled out the
elbow under the hose and removed a pen. *Then I noticed there was a
blockage of shredded paper and lint in the hose, and I blew it out by
taking the hose off & sticking the other end on the bath tap (after I
tried blowing through it). *Let's stipulate for the record that
running water through it was a very bad idea.

After that, the machine started smelling musty. *I've cleaned the
tank, the filter, & the rigid elbows, but the hose is still smelly.
I've tried rinsing it out with hot water & dish detergent and hanging
it up by one end. *Now I've got it hung up by both ends & full of hot
water & detergent. *(I'm thinking of drying it by stretching it out
and blowing a hair-dryer through it.) *Any suggestions?

Why are you worrying? If you lift the carpet you'll find it stinks too
underneath.
We live in an unhygenic world filled with bacteria (which are the
cause of the stink).
Add bleach to the water. However the cause of the stink is still
there,it will shortly return.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 15 Nov 2012 00:33:55 -0800 (PST), harry wrote:

We live in an unhygenic world filled with bacteria (which are the
cause of the stink).

"Musty" I think I'd put down to some thing fungal rather than bacterial
but yes someting is now living in the pipe.

Add bleach to the water. However the cause of the stink is still
there,it will shortly return.

If you can kill it off with a bit of ho****er and bleach then dry it
throughly (the hair dryer seems like a good idea but not too hot!) it
probably won't come back as the enviroment won't support the life, Just
like it didn't before it got wet.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

A few grams of baking soda is great for desmelling a kitchen grinder after grinding spice. Best when the grinder is dry.

I don't know if it's practical for a vacuum hose. Just letting you know.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2012-11-15, Dave Liquorice wrote:

On Thu, 15 Nov 2012 00:33:55 -0800 (PST), harry wrote:

We live in an unhygenic world filled with bacteria (which are the
cause of the stink).

"Musty" I think I'd put down to some thing fungal rather than bacterial
but yes someting is now living in the pipe.

Add bleach to the water. However the cause of the stink is still
there,it will shortly return.

If you can kill it off with a bit of ho****er and bleach then dry it
throughly (the hair dryer seems like a good idea but not too hot!) it
probably won't come back as the enviroment won't support the life, Just
like it didn't before it got wet.

That seems to have worked. I hung the hose in a U-shape over the
bath, filled it with bleach & cold water (it stretched out quite a bit
in filling, so I think I got all the accordion-like folds), left it
overnight, rinsed it out with cold then hot water, hung it up
vertically for a couple of hours, stretched it out (with help) & blew
the hair dryer through it for a few minutes, then hung it up
vertically in the airing cupboard overnight. It smells OK now.

A lot of fuss & I've learned not to get it wet again!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Its bad that its smell even after you have done all this . I have try what you have tried Im in the same situation right now

======================Miniwick==================== ===============
https://miniwick.com/best-shark-vacuums-for-pet-hairs/

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I stretch my vacuum hose out and I have to weigh both sides down after its stretchy as far as it can go then I just leave it for the night and by morning its completely dry! Have one person on one end and you take the other for easy stretching and I have to put one end of the hose under a table leg and the other under a different table leg but watch out I accidentally let go one time and got donked in the head! Lol wasnt funny!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Actually its not just the hose that smells I find most of the innards do as
well. Also despite the many filters there is still a sense that microdust is
in the air.
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
wrote in message
I stretch my vacuum hose out and I have to weigh both sides down after it's
stretchy as far as it can go then I just leave it for the night and by
morning it's completely dry! Have one person on one end and you take the
other for easy stretching and I have to put one end of the hose under a
table leg and the other under a different table leg but watch out I
accidentally let go one time and got donked in the head! Lol wasn't funny!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Brian Gaff wrote:
Actually its not just the hose that smells I find most of the innards
do as well. Also despite the many filters there is still a sense that
microdust is in the air.
Brian

They always smell, no matter how many times you wash them out. Especially if
you have a dog.
There are many freshner tablets on ebay, dead cheap. You just pop them in.
They won't cure, they just hide the smell.